Ashton Kutcher, James Brown and the Buffalo Bills

4merper4mer

Let me start this thread by politely asking that we do not bring politics into it at all. I may start a similar thread on the other board if you are interested in making this political.

The past few years of the Bills leave me wondering where we are as a team.

If a doofus like Kutcher can know what hard work does, and James Brown proudly called himself "The hardest working man in show business" then what has set the ridiculous tone for our current day Bills?

All the announcers and the local reporters treat the Bills like crap; I get that. They do it because they don't work hard. It is easy to be lazy and harder to go in depth and dig at the truth. Jerry Sullivan waiting for the Bills to make a transaction or decision of some sort and then explaining why it was stupid is pretty easy. He can always change his mind later if facts prove him wrong. Don't do the work to take a stand before the decision with informational input, just sit around doing nothing and then criticize. One example of this laziness by reporters that actually compliments the Bills is constantly calling Buffalo a "blue collar town that loves its blue collar team".

When was the last time the Bills had a blue collar team? What players on the Bills would be proud to make the Bills the "hardest working team in the NFL"? Would it be J

Irus Byrd? Sign your tender and then get a boo boo foot? I mean it doesn't even look like he worked hard to come up with an excuse. He just stole Kyle Williams excuse that had already been stolen once before. And Williams got his boo boo feet right after he got his big $$$$$. Fitz? Look like a leader, sign for big money, then start resembling a glove wearing Mary. Seriously? This is a blue collar team? Maybe Byrd and the other guys could take Kutcher's paraphrased advice and "build a career, don't live it". I honestly do think Freddie is a hard worker and that his post contract injury was legit. I think that is the one that hurt the most because his attitude could have helped. I think George Wilson was a hard worker with limited talent. I think Eric Wood is a hard worker who gets hurt a lot. Other than that, who? A CB who is more interested in beating out Poz for "hair of the decade" than maybe manning up and playing with a cast?

It is a lot to pin on a rookie QB but I think he is the hope. I am not encouraged by his "minor procedure" but will give him the benefit of the doubt and hope his wisdom teeth or hang nail can wait until the off season at least.

I can see where Littman's purse strings and Brandon's blowhard bravado and fake takeover of this team which is actually being run by Littman and his minion would make it hard on a player to stay motivated and trust that he would be rewarded, but still none of the players and none of us fans have "ever had a job that we were better than". We need less boo boo feet and glove wearing Mary types and more hard workers. Do you think we have some?

Bravo! Well said!

Now somebody needs to put together a montage to take this team from sadsack underdogs to pumped badass winners! I'm thinking fast edits of footage from That 70's Show to the tune of "Get on the Good Foot" will send the right message to these booboo foot whiners.

Wow. This is such a negative and unfounded rant I'm reluctant to wade in. But I will, only briefly. How do you know the Bills don't work hard? Have you attended camp at SJF and then compared that with the other 31 camps you've visited. To say that the Bills haven't had the best coaches or best players over the past decade plus is self-evident. But to say they don't work hard? It's just kind of silly.

Wow. This is such a negative and unfounded rant I'm reluctant to wade in. But I will, only briefly. How do you know the Bills don't work hard? Have you attended camp at SJF and then compared that with the other 31 camps you've visited. To say that the Bills haven't had the best coaches or best players over the past decade plus is self-evident. But to say they don't work hard? It's just kind of silly.

"I signed my tender....ouch!!!!"....sounds like hard work to you?

New contract....foot....seat on couch....other foot? Really? His feet worked fine walking to the bank to deposit his signing bonus.

It will be interested to see how Gilmore manages to make his hair look good with a broken hand. I'm guessing the job gets done fine but the job of being a cornerback is put on hold. We'll see.

Look, some of this stuff can happen to anyone. When it happens over and over like this you have to wonder.

909263d6_2291482-not_sure_if_serious.jpeg

I'm kinda curious what the "political" slant to this would be.

Also, I'm struggling to understand how anyone doesn't think 99.9999999999999999999% of NFL players busted their butts to get where they're at.

Equally as absurd is the idea that "hard work" somehow prevents injury in a brutal contact sport. You mentioned Wood and Jackson as hard workers and they've suffered their fair share of injuries.

Oh no, don't look now, EJ Manuel is the next lazy goldbrick out to make a fast NFL buck! I mean, come on, a "procedure" for an "injury" that didn't even knock him out of the game? What an indolent leech! :lol:

New contract....foot....seat on couch....other foot? Really? His feet worked fine walking to the bank to deposit his signing bonus.

It will be interested to see how Gilmore manages to make his hair look good with a broken hand. I'm guessing the job gets done fine but the job of being a cornerback is put on hold. We'll see.

Look, some of this stuff can happen to anyone. When it happens over and over like this you have to wonder.

You see, the bolded part is the key here; NO YOU DON'T. Sometimes in a contact sport, people get hurt, and sometimes it's a lot of people. These are just baseless accusations created to ease the pain of being a Buffalo Bills fan.

Embrace the curse, man, embrace it.

I'm kinda curious what the "political" slant to this would be.

Also, I'm struggling to understand how anyone doesn't think 99.9999999999999999999% of NFL players busted their butts to get where they're at.

Equally as absurd is the idea that "hard work" somehow prevents injury in a brutal contact sport. You mentioned Wood and Jackson as hard workers and they've suffered their fair share of injuries.

Oh no, don't look now, EJ Manuel is the next lazy goldbrick out to make a fast NFL buck! I mean, come on, a "procedure" for an "injury" that didn't even knock him out of the game? What an indolent leech! :lol:

I'm glad you're wondering about the political slant because I tried not to make it political at all. Some political internet types on both sides are all over Kutcher's comments and their implications. That is all well and good but not what I was getting at in this thread. I want people to leave it out.

I just think that Byrd's "injury" sounds weird and clearly his overall attitude is brutal. Byrd is clearly talented. Show me one example since he has been here that indicates he works hard. He didn't even go to his own rookie camp stating he had to stay at school. lol. K. Williams walked away with huge money and limped right back with a seat on the bench. And on and on.

These guys need someone to kick their butts and get their work ethic moving. It needs to be a player as it seems Coach wonderful is getting tuned out as fast as Gregg Williams. We need to be a blue collar team and we aren't.

So what exactly is your point? That the new regime that has been in place one off season already needs to be blown up?

PTR

I wish I knew the answer. I don't. I think if you keep the new regime you have to get rid of lazy guys. The coaches know who they are and a Byrd or Byrd-like high profile cut would send a signal.

I think the best chioce is for someone like Manuel taking the bull by the horns and start knocking heads but am worried that something like that can never take root because the players have grown cynical due to Littman's continued mastermindedness.

Maybe the cynicism of Parker, Byrd and Peters is just the me me me mentality its outward appearance would indicate or maybe Parker realizes that talking to Littman's minions are a lost cause. If that is the case maybe the best hope for the Bills long term is Parker going public with what it is like to deal with the Bills and the fans revolting until Littman is no longer around the team's operations.

I'm glad you're wondering about the political slant because I tried not to make it political at all. Some political internet types on both sides are all over Kutcher's comments and their implications. That is all well and good but not what I was getting at in this thread. I want people to leave it out.

I just think that Byrd's "injury" sounds weird and clearly his overall attitude is brutal. Byrd is clearly talented. Show me one example since he has been here that indicates he works hard. He didn't even go to his own rookie camp stating he had to stay at school. lol. K. Williams walked away with huge money and limped right back with a seat on the bench. And on and on.

These guys need someone to kick their butts and get their work ethic moving. It needs to be a player as it seems Coach wonderful is getting tuned out as fast as Gregg Williams. We need to be a blue collar team and we aren't.

Re: Byrd, you don't become one of the top players at your position in the league by being lazy. You must be trolling if you're insinuating that he just rolls out of bed and is a Pro Bowler by accident. NFL/NCAA rules prohibit players from joining teams while school is in session. I find it hard to believe you knew that he missed rookie minicamp, but didn't know about that rule.

And again, to think that Kyle Williams didn't play because he's lazy is silly. Even if you're right that he embellished his injuries to get out of playing, didn't he have to work hard to get to the point that he would warrant an extension and play at a Pro Bowl level when he was on the field?

PS I googled reactions to the speech you included and found that while there's nothing inherently political in the speech itself, some politicians and commentators took it upon themselves to laud the speech as it apparently endorses "conservative" values, as if a healthy "work ethic" is somehow not a universal virtue.

Re: Byrd, you don't become one of the top players at your position in the league by being lazy. You must be trolling if you're insinuating that he just rolls out of bed and is a Pro Bowler by accident. NFL/NCAA rules prohibit players from joining teams while school is in session. I find it hard to believe you knew that he missed rookie minicamp, but didn't know about that rule.

And again, to think that Kyle Williams didn't play because he's lazy is silly. Even if you're right that he embellished his injuries to get out of playing, didn't he have to work hard to get to the point that he would warrant an extension and play at a Pro Bowl level when he was on the field?

With Kyle Williams I guess I'm saying it could be that he stopped building his career and started living his career once he signed. Same happened with Fitz.

With Byrd you have got to be kidding me about that phony college excuse. What did they do? Handcuff him to the radiator in his dorm? He had a job paying millions. Tell the school to stick it and show up for work if you're a hard worker. How many practices has this guys missed over his time here? He is a good player who could be better if he practiced. He is no Bruce Smith.

Hey look, these guys are who they are but it rubs off on the rest of the locker room IMO. The Bills have not looked like a blue collar team for years.

I don't know Byrd personally and don't know if he's actually hurt. For all I know, he's fractured a metatarsal. I don't attend training camp nor do I talk to team doctors. All I know is what I see on the field and the results there tell me we don't have enough talent. They don't scream that the Bills don't work hard enough.

Re: Byrd, you don't become one of the top players at your position in the league by being lazy. You must be trolling if you're insinuating that he just rolls out of bed and is a Pro Bowler by accident.

Yep

Edited by hondo in seattle

I've played competitive sports at a collegiate level only, but I cannot image in any way shape or form these guys haven't worked their arse off to get where they are and stay where they are.

There are about 2,000 of these jobs in a country of 300,000,000+ and even the worst pay is hundreds of thousands a year. There may be a few "mega-athletes" that skate by, but it cannot be the norm.

HAHAHAHA first, way to use two of the most random people to try to make a point.

Could of used people who actually are important.

Secondly. I am sorry, but you have no clue what his injury is, or how it could affect him. I always remembered that I use to make fun of football players for sitting out because of turf toe, and that their big toe hurts. Ya... I have been nursing my foot for the last 4 months because I have turf toe and it still hurts when I work out. So I will never bad mouth another sports player for having an injury and not playing. Maybe he got hurt because he JUST STARTED BACK UP. Did you forget about all the little injuries the bills had in the beginning of ota's?

Get off your imaginary soap box and just relax. One thing I hate about the forums is all the bad mouthing of the bills. It just gets annoying. I try to stay away but holy crap. Some people think they are better football players or they know what it is like to run a football team. Enjoy the sport, and slow down with the bashing of people and using Ashton.. sorry, CHRIS Kutcher as a way to prove a point or something. Read a book instead of finding a way to insult the team that we love. Chris Kutcher finds that sexy.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell.

Edited by brenty

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell.

Nice quote. In football i think it is a little redundant because practice could really define both preparation and hard work. J

rus doesn't practice much. How hard of a worker can he be?

Nice quote. In football i think it is a little redundant because practice could really define both preparation and hard work. J

rus doesn't practice much. How hard of a worker can he be?

Not really because there are a lot of players that go to practice that won't put in the time. Byrd doesn't practice that much because... well he was kinding sitting out of practice due to contract. I see that not as "doesn't practice much" because he kinda has a reason of not showing up. I think people fail to realize that this is their job. You ask for a raise and you have to make a living out of the one thing you have been doing since you were in highschool. He made a choice to make his money and he deserves it. I don't remember anyone bashing him the last couple of years saying he doesn't really practice. They guy obviously does because he is a talented pro. The guy got injured because he basically just started training camp. Mario williams did the same thing. Stevie johnson too, and I could name all the other players that had a little tweek in the first week of practice.

The guy is a great player and I won't understand why people bash the guy for doing his job and asking to get paid what he deserves.