Bubble Players going into PS Game 4 vs. Detroit

Matt in KC

Who is playing for their place on the team in the Lions PS game? Who do you think we try to get on our Practice Squad?

OFFENSE

RB - Choice, Brown, Gaskins

I'm really not sure what the team is thinking here. Choice seems to the frontrunner, but Marrone made a comment a week or so ago that he wanted someone that offered a different dimension as a backup. I thought that meant heavier than Choice, or good on ST.

Brown is listed on the roster as a 1st year player; Gaskins is listed as a rookie. (I thought the difference was rookies were drafted, but now I'm back to not knowing). I fully expect one of these guys to make the PS. I suspect the team will keep 3 RBs plus Summers.

FB - Summers

I think Summers makes the final 53. He's been playing a lot and playing pretty well. He helps the game day roster a whole lot more than the backup RB above or a 6th or 7th WR. He's been solid on ST and I want Goodwin following him on his kick returns.

LG - Colin Brown, Doug Legurski

Brown has the starting position sewn up and has been playing pretty well. I thnik Legurski probably makes the roster as well (or is cut only when we sign someone else), but we're in trouble if he ever has to play.

QBs

There's already a lot of discussion on these guys that we don't need to fully rehash here. I think the big question is if Kolb gets an injury settlement before the 53-player cutdown.

There's no way we carry 5 QBs on the roster! I Guess Leinart gets cut too after the Detroit game, and Thad stays on as a new developmental backup. Is Thad PS-eligible?

WR

There has been a lot of discussion in other threads. For our Bubble players, I think Easley has already made the team and Brad Smith gets cut. I think we'll try to land Hogan or Kaufman on on the PS. We might try to keep Hogan on the final roster, but no way Kaufman makes it (short of an all-world game against Detroit), as much as I like the kid.

Unlike others, I wouldn't be surprised if we only keep 5 WRs (Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, TJ, Easley)

TE - Lee Smith, Gragg

Lee Smith has made teh team, even though we haven't seen anything from him yet. Gragg does not look good to me, but I can't imaging us releasing him.

DEFENSE

DT - Corbin Bryant, Alan Branch, Torrell Troup, Jay Ross

I think Bryant has played the best of these guys in the PS games, by far. I think Branch or Troup join him on the team. They've played at about the same level, but Troup is less expensive.... I'd guess Branch is one of our big "name" cuts who gets picked up elsewhere.

Jay Ross is a great PS candidate, who has shown promise, but really doesn't look ready for a real game.

DE

Blatnick has shown flashes, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the final 53. If not, I want him on our PS if he clears waivers.

LB - Marcus Dowtin, Bryan Scott

I've seen more good plays from Marcus Downtin Abbey than Scott, but I don't know if he's ready for prime time. I don't know if he's PS-eligible.

I have no idea what is going on with Scott and would not be surprised to see him cut, or playing regularly. (Anyone have any insight?)

CB - Butler, Rogers, Heath, Robey

I think Butler makes the team. Rogers looked bad against the Skins, but I don't know if he's actually back 100%. If not, I'm not sure we can afford to cut him. On the flip side, I don't know if we can afford to play him! Health has shown flashes. I'd like to keep him on the PS.

Edit: Robey or Heath to PS

Safeties - Duke Williams (4th round), Johnathan Meeks (5th round)

Neither of these players look ready for a real game to me, but Wiliams looks closer. I suspect we keep Williams and try to pass Meeks to the PS. Does anyone think we try to keep 5 safeties (these 2 plus Byrd, Williams, Searcy)?

Edited by Matt in KC

Nice post Matt. They only way I differ from you, is I don't see the Bills cutting Jay Ross. As for the safety position, I think Duke will definitely make the team, but it's a toss up to whether Meeks or Searcy will make the team. I would be surprised if we kept 5 safeties, especially with all the young talent we have.

Nice post Matt. They only way I differ from you, is I don't see the Bills cutting Jay Ross. As for the safety position, I think Duke will definitely make the team, but it's a toss up to whether Meeks or Searcy will make the team. I would be surprised if we kept 5 safeties, especially with all the young talent we have.

I just don't see how Jay could make the roster. I'd like to see him develop, but roster spots "cost" too much. He strikes me as a perfect PS guy.

At safety, Searcy has the edge for sure, but Meeks could be better... some day.

matt a player is listed as 1 for experience if they were in a camp in a previous year but didn't touch the field during the regular season.

Thanks! So they aren't a rookie (straight out of college) but don't have an accrued season. That makes sense.

Nice post!

Who is playing for their place on the team in the Lions PS game? Who do you think we try to get on our Practice Squad?

OFFENSE

I'm really not sure what the team is thinking here. Choice seems to the frontrunner, but Marrone made a comment a week or so ago that he wanted someone that offered a different dimension as a backup. I thought that meant heavier than Choice, or good on ST.

Brown is listed on the roster as a 1st year player; Gaskins is listed as a rookie. (I thought the difference was rookies were drafted, but now I'm back to not knowing). I fully expect one of these guys to make the PS. I suspect the team will keep 3 RBs plus Summers.

FB - Summers

I think Summers makes the final 53. He's been playing a lot and playing pretty well. He helps the game day roster a whole lot more than the backup RB above or a 6th or 7th WR. He's been solid on ST and I want Goodwin following him on his kick returns.

I think there'll be 3 RBs for sure, and the 4th spot will come down to Summers or Dickerson. Dickerson is a better athlete, offers more versatility to play H-Back, TE, WR in a pinch, FB in a pinch. Summers only has one role -- true blocking/ST FB, but he's probably better at that role than Dickerson is at anything.

Brown has the starting position sewn up and has been playing pretty well. I thnik Legurski probably makes the roster as well (or is cut only when we sign someone else), but we're in trouble if he ever has to play.

Agreed. I'm surprised Antoine Caldwell never got a shot at this job -- he has more starting experience than Legursky, and on a much better O-line. As for Legursky, initial reports were that he signed a 4-year deal, which had my head spinning, but spotrachas him at 1-year, $900k, which is very cuttable. I'd be surprised but not shocked if he gets cut.

QBs

There's already a lot of discussion on these guys that we don't need to fully rehash here. I think the big question is if Kolb gets an injury settlement before the 53-player cutdown.

There's no way we carry 5 QBs on the roster! I Guess Leinart gets cut too after the Detroit game, and Thad stays on as a new developmental backup. Is Thad PS-eligible?

Another option for Kolb could be IR designated to return, since Marrone has said that Kolb intends to continue his career. Doubt it, but we haven't heard definitively that he's out for the year, so thought I'd throw it out there. As for the other guys, I think the coaches will definitely want a veteran with the team, which probably means Leinart gets the spot over Thad. Hope not, though. I don't think he's the kind of veteran influence the team needs.

EJ: "How do I tell if this LB faking a blitz, then dropping back to take away the quick slant?"

Leinart: "Let me give you some advice, EJ. Don't ever make a girl go down on you in a hot tub. She has to come up for air like every 30 seconds, and it just winds up being frustrating. And if you sit up on the edge so she can breath, you get chilly. Just bang her instead. Does that answer your question?"

WR

There has been a lot of discussion in other threads. For our Bubble players, I think Easley has already made the team and Brad Smith gets cut. I think we'll try to land Hogan or Kaufman on on the PS. We might try to keep Hogan on the final roster, but no way Kaufman makes it (short of an all-world game against Detroit), as much as I like the kid.

Unlike others, I wouldn't be surprised if we only keep 5 WRs (Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, TJ, Easley)

The early cut of Rogers simplifies this a lot, since most people expected him to make the team on potential no matter what. Kaufmann hasn't played any special teams, so I think he's PS at best. I'd be surprised to see Smith cut now that he's re-done his contract -- he's a "team player" veteran influence and good special teamer, even on coverage units. The only way I could see us keeping 5 WRs is if Dickerson is kept as a 4th TE. I have to think our base offense will be K-gun style 3WR 1TE 1RB, and most teams with a 3WR base keep 6.

TE - Lee Smith, Gragg

Lee Smith has made teh team, even though we haven't seen anything from him yet. Gragg does not look good to me, but I can't imaging us releasing him.

I think both of these guys are safe -- can't keep less than 3 TEs unless you want to commit to spread formations at the goal line.

DEFENSE

I think Bryant has played the best of these guys in the PS games, by far. I think Branch or Troup join him on the team. They've played at about the same level, but Troup is less expensive.... I'd guess Branch is one of our big "name" cuts who gets picked up elsewhere.

Jay Ross is a great PS candidate, who has shown promise, but really doesn't look ready for a real game.

DE

Blatnick has shown flashes, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the final 53. If not, I want him on our PS if he clears waivers.

I've seen more good plays from Marcus Downtin Abbey than Scott, but I don't know if he's ready for prime time. I don't know if he's PS-eligible.

I have no idea what is going on with Scott and would not be surprised to see him cut, or playing regularly. (Anyone have any insight?)

Dowtin is Pettine's boy from NYC, and every time he's been mentioned by Marrone or Whaley, it's been in a positive context. I think he's safe. I haven't watched much of the preseason this year, but I really can't recall seeing Scott at all. Also don't remember hearing much about him (positive or negative) in practice reports. Weird.

CB - Butler, Rogers, Heath

I think Butler makes the team. Rogers looked bad against the Skins, but I don't know if he's actually back 100%. If not, I'm not sure we can afford to cut him. On the flip side, I don't know if we can afford to play him! Health has shown flashes. I'd like to keep him on the PS.

I think Butler is our starting LCB for at least 4 weeks. I think whoever gets cut will be a tough call, but not in a good way. Compounding things is that all of these guys have been hurt and missed time.

Neither of these players look ready for a real game to me, but Wiliams looks closer. I suspect we keep Williams and try to pass Meeks to the PS. Does anyone think we try to keep 5 safeties (these 2 plus Byrd, Williams, Searcy)?

Pretty rare to cut a 5th-round pick as a rookie, and someone else is likely to claim him on waivers. See Tank Carder last year. I think we keep 5 safeties, with the rationale that they play special teams, and both Williamses can play CB in a pinch. I wouldn't be shocked if Searcy winds up a surprise cut.

I think there'll be 3 RBs for sure, and the 4th spot will come down to Summers or Dickerson. Dickerson is a better athlete, offers more versatility to play H-Back, TE, WR in a pinch, FB in a pinch. Summers only has one role -- true blocking/ST FB, but he's probably better at that role than Dickerson is at anything.

The only way I could see us keeping 5 WRs is if Dickerson is kept as a 4th TE. I have to think our base offense will be K-gun style 3WR 1TE 1RB, and most teams with a 3WR base keep 6.

I forgot about Dickerson! I just haven't seen how he would make it with the better WRs and TEs. I can see the arguement for keeping him if we do keep just 5 WRs, especially with no FB backup on the roster and our TEs weak. I don't see us keeping Dickerson and Brad Smith, but keeping one makes sense.

Has Dickerson been hurt? He's just been... missing from what I've watched.

Agreed. I'm surprised Antoine Caldwell never got a shot at this job -- he has more starting experience than Legursky, and on a much better O-line. As for Legursky, initial reports were that he signed a 4-year deal, which had my head spinning, but spotrachas him at 1-year, $900k, which is very cuttable. I'd be surprised but not shocked if he gets cut.

I've barely seen Caldwell play. My notes from the first 2 PS games indicates only one noteable play: a horrible play in the 4th quarter against the Vikings, on a run play.

As bad as I think Legurski is, we just can't afford to cut him unless we find someone better somewhere. Either way, I can't imagine he's on the team next year.

Another option for Kolb could be IR designated to return, since Marrone has said that Kolb intends to continue his career. Doubt it, but we haven't heard definitively that he's out for the year, so thought I'd throw it out there. As for the other guys, I think the coaches will definitely want a veteran with the team, which probably means Leinart gets the spot over Thad. Hope not, though. I don't think he's the kind of veteran influence the team needs.

I thought of that too. Stupid question: if he's on IR (designated to return) to start the season, is his full year salary guaranteed? It might make sense to do this to give the young guys enough runway to prove they more deserve the permanent roster spot.

EJ: "How do I tell if this LB faking a blitz, then dropping back to take away the quick slant?"

Leinart: "Let me give you some advice, EJ. Don't ever make a girl go down on you in a hot tub. She has to come up for air like every 30 seconds, and it just winds up being frustrating. And if you sit up on the edge so she can breath, you get chilly. Just bang her instead. Does that answer your question?"

:lol::D

Pretty rare to cut a 5th-round pick as a rookie, and someone else is likely to claim him on waivers. See Tank Carder last year. I think we keep 5 safeties, with the rationale that they play special teams, and both Williamses can play CB in a pinch. I wouldn't be shocked if Searcy winds up a surprise cut.

I guess we'll see. I haven't tried making a 53-man roster, so I don't know just how tight we are....

The roster I see....

3 QB

3 RB

6 WR

3 TE

1 WR/TE/FB slot

8 OL

1 BPA

25 offense

8 DL

7 LB

9 DB

1 BPA

25 Defense

3 ST (P, K, LS)

this is the final roster---they keep Kolb then put him on the in season IR, then activate Byrd to the roster.

Edited by djp14150

The roster I see....

3 QB

3 RB

6 WR

3 TE

1 WR/TE/FB slot

8 OL

1 BPA

25 offense

8 DL

7 LB

9 DB

1 BPA

25 Defense

3 ST (P, K, LS)

this is the final roster---they keep Kolb then put him on the in season IR, then activate Byrd to the roster.

Keeping only 9 DBs without IR'ing Gilmore would be really tough and risky.

This is the best I can make sense of that:

5 CBs: Gilmore, McKelvin, Brooks, Butler, Rogers

4 Safeties: Byrd, Williams, Searcy, Duke Williams

This means cutting

CBs: Heath, Robey

Safeties: Meeks, Ellis, Rodney Dangerfield

I think we keep one of Heath, Robey, or maybe Meeks, and still look for another CB elsewhere.

Fortunately (for the numbers only) I don't think we have 7 LBs worth keeping.

Keep: Lawson, Dowtin, Alonso, Moats, Bradham, Scott

Cut: Pough, Brian Smith. That's right... there's no one else to consider!

Edited by Matt in KC

I forgot about Dickerson! I just haven't seen how he would make it with the better WRs and TEs. I can see the arguement for keeping him if we do keep just 5 WRs, especially with no FB backup on the roster and our TEs weak. I don't see us keeping Dickerson and Brad Smith, but keeping one makes sense.

Has Dickerson been hurt? He's just been... missing from what I've watched.

He's been healthy. I've definitely seen him on the field in the second halves of preseason games 1-2 (didn't see any of #3, thankfully), and I've heard his name in a preseason report or two. Nothing super impressive, but he's been getting consistent 3rd team reps. When the news came out that he'd been switched to WR, I was sure he was a goner, and didn't feel much better when I found out the switch to TE was his idea, not the coaches, but you never know. We know Marrone likes speed, and Dickerson has it, and any coach likes a guy with versatility. I think ultimately he's pretty similar to Gragg, and Gragg is Marrone's guy, so Dickerson probably gets cut. I'm pulling for him, though, if only because he's a sick FB in Madden. (It takes a season or two of upping his stats before he can block worth a damn, but his speed makes it well worth it. He can take checkdowns 15-20 yards routinely.)

I thought of that too. Stupid question: if he's on IR (designated to return) to start the season, is his full year salary guaranteed? It might make sense to do this to give the young guys enough runway to prove they more deserve the permanent roster spot.

I don't know the answer for sure, but my very strong guess would be yes, it is guaranteed. Full IR guarantees the salary unless an injury settlement is reached. Being on the opening day roster guarantees the salary for a vested veteran like Kolb. It would be pretty surprising if IR-return is a loophole that avoids guaranteeing the salary.

Keeping only 9 DBs without IR'ing Gilmore would be really tough and risky.

This is the best I can make sense of that:

5 CBs: Gilmore, McKelvin, Brooks, Butler, Rogers

4 Safeties: Byrd, Williams, Searcy, Duke Williams

This means cutting

CBs: Heath, Robey

Safeties: Meeks, Ellis, Rodney Dangerfield

I think we keep one of Heath, Robey, or maybe Meeks, and still look for another CB elsewhere.

Since they plan to keep Gilmore on the active roster, I think it's a guarantee that they keep at least 10 DBs to start the year. I can't remember the Bills ever keeping 8 healthy DBs to start the year. I think 11 is more likely than 10, honestly. I predict Robey makes the team, probably over Heath. I'm less confident after he screwed up that punt last week, but he's mostly looked good in preseason, supposedly was great in training camp, and looked (before last week) like a legit punt returner who doesn't also double as a full-time player the way McLovin and Woods do.

Fortunately (for the numbers only) I don't think we have 7 LBs worth keeping.

Keep: Lawson, Dowtin, Alonso, Moats, Bradham, Scott

Cut: Pough, Brian Smith. That's right... there's no one else to consider!

Wow, didn't realize that. Although with our new D, I guess Mario, Hughes, Jamie Blatnick, and Kourtnei Brown are sorta considered linebackers. But whatever you call them, I think we're looking at 6 kept at the DE/DT/NT positions, 6 kept at "true" LB positions, and probably 3 of the above 4 at the "Jack" LB/DE/pass rusher spot.

I agree. Can't cut Meeks. they knew he was raw; needs time to develop and it's doubtful he would make it to the PS.

OFFENSE

I am thinking Choice is gone. Not for nothing, I appreciate him being here and he is a leader in the locker room. I have seen enough tweets and such to see it. Brown over Gaskins for no reason.

FB - Summers

Frank The Tank stays.

Both stay, at least until we get someone else. Geoff Hangartner type player would be nice.

QBs

Thad is not PS eligible which makes it odd that we traded for him. Leinart, obviously, as well cannot make the PS, either. I think Kolb is on the way out with an injury settlement. There has been no news on him. I do not have a problem with Tuel and Manuel with Leinert or Lewis as a 3rd.

WR

Marrone has made a lot of comments on Brad Smith. I think it says a lot that he has not been asked to fill in at QB or at least tryout. I think Marrone is ready to put that behind us - unless tonight he gets thrown in for a few snaps - then I really cannot be sure but I think he makes it. Kaufman is too much like Kamar Aiken and I always wanted to see more of him. However, he never caught on with NE so I imagine he was not up to par. Your top 5 are right, but might as well add Smith.

TE - Lee Smith, Gragg

I watched Gragg quite a bit. Every game he has got better.

DEFENSE

Jay Ross is a great PS candidate, who has shown promise,but really doesn't look ready for a real game.

I still crossing my fingers on Troup but every time I start to build up hope it doesn't last. His hustle, his effort, and his determination might keep him on this roster. And I am fine with that, because he is a big strong guy with upside for the future to go along with complementing Dareus. Branch is big but I have seem some sluggishness.

DE

There is upside there, another game would be nice to see.

Manny Lawson may make Scott expendable. Dowtin is experienced and good depth - Scott is a well rounded versatile player with good leadership.

CB - Butler, Rogers, Heath, Robey

Edit: Robey or Heath to PS

Robey to the 53 would not surprise me. Butler on 53...sure. Heath to PS, sure. Once Gilmore is back I expect a CB cut and an injury replacement signed with cut CB going to PS.

5 safeties? Nah. 4. Wiliams, Williams, Byrd and Searcy. I like Meeks, though.