Has anyone been to MetLife Stadium?

spurbs

My friends and I planned a Mets/Yankees trip and it just so happens the Bills are playing the Jets that week. We are thinking of going to the game. has anyone been to MetLife stadium? I'd like to know your experience taking public transportation to and from the game. Are there any bars/restaurants in the stadium where we could watch the 1pm games?

Is it safe to wear Bills stuff (safer than RWS )? We are not the kind of guys to cause trouble, but I also don't want beer poured on me

No, I haven't but can answer a couple of your questions having been to several Bills/Jets games at the Meadowlands.

--Safe? Yes, as long as you're not looking for trouble and can take a little ribbing. There are certainly some douchey Jets fans (moreso than the Giants crowd), but I've never seen a serious problem.

--Bars? I don't think so. They're not going to let you in the stadium at 1:00 for a 4:00 game anyway, and the stadium is surrounded by swamps and highways so there's nothing else you can get to from the stadium.

--Buses run from Manhattan to the Stadium (from Port Authority I believe), so check those out. You'll want to leave early as game day traffic and security will be time consuming.

I went to the Bills/Jets debacle opener last year. Met Life is nice if not sterile. Nothing all that special about it. I expected more being NYC's NFL palace. Maybe the eye-popping stuff is reserved for the high rollers? Upper deck steerage is like any other stadium: lousy expensive food, even more expensive beer.

There is nothing around the stadium as far as restaurants and bars. Just swamp, highways and the deserted shopping mall. I drove in so no idea about public transportation. I do believe there is a train that goes there. BTW, when I drive I go the back way: Garden State Pkwy to Route 3 East. Almost zero traffic.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The stadium is definitely sterile is a great word. You are safe to wear Bills stuff just keep in mind its thousands of obnoxious New Yorkers. My friend and i were in upper deck with a few other Bills fans, we were polite, cheered when we scored but didnt rub it in anyones face. A few of the other Bills fans did and there was alot of yelling and possibly beer thrown. All other away games i've been to never had any issues with such obnoxious fans except at MetLife. Also I drove so not sure about public transit. There really isn't much around the stadium though for watching other games.

Enjoy.

I once attended a Giants-Broncos game and wore a Steve Atwater jersey to make my friend feel at ease (big Broncos fan). 99% of the jeers were in good fun. There were a couple guys saying some rude things, but nothing ever got physical.

That said, the Broncos were 13-0 heading into the game and the Giants beat the piss out of them. So the fans were in good moods.

I'd think you'd be fine. The number of good people far outweighs the number of bad people.

NJ Bills fan here. I go to Jets Bills every year. Heres a few pointers about the stadium,

1) Yes a lot of Jets fans are asshats but its not much worse than any other opposing team fan in a home teams stadium. Take the friendly ribbing and don't escalate it into a fight and you'll be fine.

2) Because of the PSL's the Jets have been having problems selling season tickets so they now sell single game tickets (which was unheard of in the old stadium it was season ticket or nothing). There are ton more visiting team fans now at the games than in the old stadium. There will be plenty of Bills fans at the game including myself.

3) Stubhub tickets the week of the game. Unless something magical happens in weeks 1 and 2 and Geno Smith is the second-coming of Joe Montana you can prob snag upper deck endzone seats for under $50 bucks. That being said MetLife is an extremely high stadium and its real hard to see from up there but you can definitely get tix on the cheap that way.

4) If your driving to the stadium there is a bar called the Grasshopper Also nearby that has a free shuttle to the stadium if you are looking for a bar. Other than that though the place is literally in the swamp in the middle of nowhere but the tailgating there is pretty good.

5) If you want mass transit there is an NJ Transit train that goes from NYC to the stadium. You get on from Penn Station and switch at the first stop (Secaucus Junction) just follow the signs to the MetLife train and it takes you right in front of the stadium.

I drove to Met Life for the Bills Jets opener last year and after my experience at the parking lot I will NEVER drive there again. The train is the way to go. Stops right in front of the stadium. Jets fans don't seem to understand that tailgate means to set up your food and your beer at the tail of your car, not on two empty parking spots...

That's why I like driving to the Ralph better cuz it's more organized and you usually have someone direct you on where to park...