Is Brandon's plan like the Astros ?

TXBILLSFAN

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read title ... Said to myself, "post can't possibly be that stupid." I WAS WRONG.

If post is so stupid, why can't you simply answer the question I posed "why are the Bills not spending to the cap THIS year ?" --- or at a minimum (as one of the other posters said) "move Fitz's dead money into 2013 to provide more cap space next year ?? --- Brandon stood up a talked about how he wanted to reinvigorate this franchise --- I liked their off-season moves with Whaley and Marrone and getting young brains in house --- I thought they had a good draft and I think Manuel has a lot of potential --- but, as fans we have to challenge them on this and ask for a legitimate explanation --- I, like the other posters was assuming (making an a$$ out of u and me in the process) that there was a bigger plan -- when they took Fitz cap hit over two years, I thought, they will go after some of the coveted CB's or resign Levitre or Byrd or extend Spiller/Wood ---- for those of you who keep saying "I don't know what their plans are" --- of course not, but if history is any lesson and results to date any indication -- they will end this year with money that they could spend and didn't ---- this is disheartening and I place the blame squarely on Brandon --- he's been with this team for most of the entire playoff drought, spending a good portion as one of the key folks in charge --- let's, as fans HOLD HIM ACCOUNTABLE to his words --- what's stupid is wearing rose colored glasses and drinking the Kool-Aid and crap that Brandon is shoveling ---- I love the Bills as much as anyone and I am sick and tired of this guy playing us all for fools !! Edited by TXBILLSFAN

ive been trying to be patient since mentioning the issue in the spring, and see what kind of plan they have for the money but at this point its looking extremely difficult to even formulate a way to use that cap space. unless they have big extensions lined up and plan on using roster bonuses and salary for those to hit this year instead of signing bonuses that will eat up future years....

id love to hear that a rule exists to fix this down the line but until i do - and after months of bringing up the point the rule hasnt been pointed out - its an issue deserves to be hammered home. theres not a ton that i think the fans "deserve to know" but i think that something like this does deserve an answer. hopefully someone can either point out something obvious im missing, or one of the local media that reads this board can ask the team.

I'm late to the party on this, and not as up to speed on salary cap stuff as I used to be, but does the salary cap rollover rule "fix" the problem of not spending available cap money this year:

http://profootballta...-automatically/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8016480/nfl-salary-cap-carryover-rewards-smart-management

And if you want to slog through the salary cap rules in the CBA to confirm, have at it:

http://images.nflpla...les/2011CBA.pdf

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I'm late to the party on this, and not as up to speed on salary cap stuff as I used to be, but does the salary cap rollover rule "fix" the problem of not spending available cap money this year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/12/new-cba-gives-teams-the-right-to-carry-over-cap-space-automatically/

Incorrect in our case I believe - as a large portion of the dollars are rollover from last year they will be expiring. Can't carry multiple years.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't know what they plan to do (nobody does), but to date, they've done nothing --- but let's assume they do sign them to extensions ---- you still have over $23M in cap space THIS YEAR, why not take the full hit of Fitz's DEAD money now ? --- that still leaves the team over $16M in cap space this year (if a miracle happens and they extend Wood/Spiller) and it also gives you $7M more for next year when you want to troll for some FA's ---- if you want to win consistently in this league you need to manage the cap to enable your team to keep key players and go after select FA's, you don't manage the cap to pad the bottom line ---

Another way to look at this -- any unspent money DOES NOT carryover to the next year -- so, if the Bills under spend by $20M THIS year, that money is GONE and cannot be used NEXT year --- not using the full cap every year is ridiculous

http://profootballta...-automatically/

http://espn.go.com/n...mart-management

And if you want to slog through the salary cap rules in the CBA to confirm, have at it:

http://images.nflpla...les/2011CBA.pdf

Great info ! . . . . I believe there are limits to what can be carried over year to year -- this would be great question to ask Brandon by the media --- 1) Can you carryover the $23.3M and if yes, will you and will you spend it -- if they can't carry it over, we default back to original post concerns

Great info ! . . . . I believe there are limits to what can be carried over year to year -- this would be great question to ask Brandon by the media --- 1) Can you carryover the $23.3M and if yes, will you and will you spend it -- if they can't carry it over, we default back to original post concerns

I'm fairly sure no money carried from last year can be carried again is the rule. We carried substantial dollars last year that sit untouched.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm fairly sure no money carried from last year can be carried again is the rule. We carried substantial dollars last year that sit untouched.

If such a rule exists, it has to be in the CBA. Unfortunately, the complexity of the CBA exceeds my interest in the topic, but I posted a link to the full text of the current CBA above if anybody wants to slog through the part detailing exactly how the salary cap works.

It's not obvious to me that dollars carried over from last year sit untouched (how can you say that they weren't part of the dollars already spent this year), but it's certainly possible that there's some arcane rule that says you can't carry over unused salary cap space in two consecutive years. I've never heard of such a rule, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

nosaint. i applaud you. ive been on this same thinking but am not as patient or as articulate as you are. its business as usual atOBD. i love this team but i dont throw blind loyalty at this FO just cause. and questioning their methods is needed. they had more than enough money to sign levitre and byrd this year and they just opted not to. even tho brandon had that whole presser about signing our own and keeping talent here. i am a fan of the team and it makes me livid. i cant imagine being byrd and saying what happen when you said you wanted to sign us?

business as usual

It's curious why nobody has answered the OP's question. He uses a lot of exclamation points and his posts aren't the most well formed yet he makes a good point: Why did they push $7M in Fitz's dead money into next year when they have the space this year?

Perhaps the answer is as simple as, "the rules don't allow it" or "it doesn't work that way" but it's interesting how posters come up with incredibly illogical posts to try and defend the Bills' FO.

Of course, I guess it doesn't really matter. The fact that they are $23M under the cap this year tells us all we need to know. While I don't agree with the OP's statement that they're "trying to lose" it's pretty obvious they're trying to win but by spending significantly less than the rest of the league. They've imposed their own salary cap on themselves. I can't imagine why they haven't made the playoffs in 13 years when they've handcuffed themselves.

Edited by MDH

It's curious why nobody has answered the OP's question. He uses a lot of exclamation points and his posts aren't the most well formed yet he makes a good point: Why did they push $7M in Fitz's dead money into next year when they have the space this year?

Perhaps the answer is as simple as, "the rules don't allow it" or "it doesn't work that way" but it's interesting how posters come up with incredibly illogical posts to try and defend the Bills' FO.

Of course, I guess it doesn't really matter. The fact that they are $23M under the cap this year tells us all we need to know. While I don't agree with the OP's statement that they're "trying to lose" it's pretty obvious they're trying to win but by spending significantly less than the rest of the league. They've imposed their own salary cap on themselves. I can't imagine why they haven't made the playoffs in 13 years when they've handcuffed themselves.

Sorry, Elaine.