TE Depth a problem?

I don't want to jinx him, but Gragg reminds me of Shawn Nelson. I'm just so eager for the Bills to actually draft a TE with talent. I hope he makes it.

I agree with everything Big C posted above. Chandler, Smith and Gragg all bring somthing different to the team and a nice TE core.

I like Dickerson too, but think he may be the odd man out. Or, they keep 5 WRs, no FB and he just makes the cut. But, from the very little I've seen, it looks like Summers is bringing more to the team.

Agree with Big C and MattKC. Smith is showing that he can catch the ball, a skill that Gailey didn't utilize. Chandler looks 90% now, and Gragg can catch the ball as long as he can reach it (some passes to Gragg were off in camp). Dickerson was made a WR, and ironically, that and Summers will likely cause his waiver.

After Vikes game, I'll do a Positional Needs post and get some voting done for DraftTek. I suspect TE will be a P3 or P4.

After Vikes game, I'll do a Positional Needs post and get some voting done for DraftTek. I suspect TE will be a P3 or P4.

Guessing we see OL, CB, TE, RB (freddy wont last forever) as the easy ones to agree on -- with of course wildcards at OLB, WR2, and QB depending on how the season goes.... though qb likely gets 2 years no matter what.... and i wont get into safety debates.

Another out of touch "sports journalist." He finds it "surprising" the Bills didn't bring in a TE in the off season, then later on notes Gragg was drafted. He seems to think Smith is the top TE. He then gives his opinion that Chandler is "an emerging threat." As if he discovered him lurking on the roster.

Don't you need to know how the offense plans to use the tight end before deciding what depth you need there?

Has Hackett given us any reason to believe he favors a 2 TE set package as a key to the offense?

Sadly it really does look like a case of the homework being due so He had to turn in something!

I think we have fairly average depth at the position. Chandler, Smith and Cragg, and even throw in Dickerson. None of them are world beaters, but I don't think any of them are scrubs, either.

Maybe I've been a Bills fan for too long, but isn't that generally how most teams are? TE that is "big", not WR fast, but can block and has reliable hands (Chandler), depth guy who is a good blocker for heavy sets (Smith), and then "others"? Or is the new "norm" to expect every team to have a Gronk/Hernandez type of situation?

Edited by Dorkington

I think we have fairly average depth at the position. Chandler, Smith and Cragg, and even throw in Dickerson. None of them are world beaters, but I don't think any of them are scrubs, either.

Maybe I've been a Bills fan for too long, but isn't that generally how most teams are? TE that is "big", not WR fast, but can block and has reliable hands (Chandler), depth guy who is a good blocker for heavy sets (Smith), and then "others"? Or is the new "norm" to expect every team to have a Gronk/Hernandez type of situation?

I hope not. That would work out to 32 total killings.

Agreed.

i dont think everyone should expect we have the #1 pairing in the league, just like you dont expect everyone to trot tom brady on the field to be considered average at QB.

While i dont think itll be a major issue, i also would have a hard time finding a way to make our depth worse when i really focus on it... if we settled for a pair of UDFA backups? they may overachieve, but i dont think its a strength as someone up thread implied. it may even be a stretch to call the position group as a whole league average even if chandler is 100%

Dickerson was made a WR, and ironically, that and Summers will likely cause his waiver.

True he was made a WR but he wasn't comfortable with the move and asked the coaching staff to move him back to TE and they obliged him.

It'll be a battle for Dickerson to make the team at TE but he had zero chance as a WR so good for him knowing what was best for his chances and exerting some influence over his career.