The 2013 Training Camp Thread: Week 2

It's sounding like Manuel's having a bit of a rough day. Hey, the more lumps he takes now...

Thats alright. Building character is us old folks called it .

SJBF thanks for pitching in and keeping us up to speed. I have driven by camp and seen the excitement from rt 490 but life has been too hectic to stop in.

I love hearing about the days details from you and that Bot fellow. TY : )

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at practice today. Probably not EJs best day but it wasn't all bad. Only truly ugly throw was the one intercepted by Kiko. He had no business trying to squeeze that ball in. Gilmore's pick was absurd. Easley just disappeared behind him. Easley did burn Gilmore on a crossing route and EJ hit him in stride. I was impressed with Manuel's ball placement. His biggest thing is getting used to NFL defenses as Pettine seemed to throw everything at him. Some really exotic looks today.

There was one play where EJ rolled out and immediately hit Dickerson in stride for a TD. That play looked nearly impossible to defend and I think we'll see a lot of that while EJs being eased into things.

Da'Rick Rogers was chewed out by Marrone for giving up on a play. Marrone was really not pleased. The talent is apparent though.

Mario was practicing and looked good. Marcel looked good also.

Rough day for Hopkins. Ton of leg, no accuracy today.

I was impressed with Manuel's ball placement.

There was one play where EJ rolled out and immediately hit Dickerson in stride for a TD. That play looked nearly impossible to defend and I think we'll see a lot of that while EJs being eased into things.

Thanks for the recap.

Two things that jumped off the video of EJ's college career:

1) He's a natural thrower. He's not clunky or mechanical. He's a smooth athlete who has instinctively good mechanics. That's in contrast to many QBs these days who've attended passing academies and seem mechanical in their mechanics.

2) His height, length, hands, and athleticism allow him to place the ball really well, deep or short.

There are some QBs in the league who really struggle with the screen pass which (counter-intuitively) is underrated in its difficulty. It's difficult because you're inviting pass rushers into your face so that you can lob a short area throw into a tight, high-traffic area.

It's a hard play to execute but EJ with his size and skills will excel at looking off then finding and hitting his screen receiver.

I'm at St John Fisher right now and what is making me most optimistic is Marrone's "back to the basics" approach to this camp.

I've been attending camp for 10 years now. I can't remember the last time that I've seen the Bills use a full "stay low" bar. By that, I mean a two foot wide, 4 foot high contraption with metal bars on top that the linemen have to burst off the snap into (under). This forces them to stay low when they burst off the line. If they don't, they crack their backs on the top of the rack.

This is something we did in pee wee and high school. It's very basic but very effective. This is a game of leverage. Not size.

Just my 2 cents.

Not having seen the Bills using the "stay low" bar in training camp might have been the luck of the draw for you but there was video of the Bills using that piece of equipment at last year's training camp.

Just so you know.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Was at practice today. Probably not EJs best day but it wasn't all bad. Only truly ugly throw was the one intercepted by Kiko. He had no business trying to squeeze that ball in. Gilmore's pick was absurd. Easley just disappeared behind him. Easley did burn Gilmore on a crossing route and EJ hit him in stride. I was impressed with Manuel's ball placement. His biggest thing is getting used to NFL defenses as Pettine seemed to throw everything at him. Some really exotic looks today.

Da'Rick Rogers was chewed out by Marrone for giving up on a play. Marrone was really not pleased. The talent is apparent though.

Mario was practicing and looked good. Marcel looked good also.

Rough day for Hopkins. Ton of leg, no accuracy today.

Thanks Zac, it can be infuriating living too far away to make practices and trying to piece apart how things are going from tweets. I think we all knew EJ was going to have some bad days, but it's nice to hear that he's having them when Pettine is throwing the more complex stuff at him. Remembering how he responded to problems in the first practice, here's hoping that he bounces back tomorrow.

Also was at camp today. Some observations:

1. Kickers: It's only 1 day, but it was rough. The two are a total contrast in styles. Hopkins has a powerful leg but at least today was erratic. Lindell didn't fare much better but made more and some of the longer kicks were not pretty but made it through the uprights. There was no contest on kickoffs, Hopkins was deeper and had more hang time.

2. Manuel struggled some, had some good throws, but probably not his best day. He had a beauty to (I think) Fred Jackson in 7-on-7s. When he was in trouble he seemed to have a good grasp of his options to get rid of it without risking a turnover except the one Alonso picked off.

3. The OL officially concerns me, especially the depth. I think the starters will be okay. In the individual work, Wood, Glenn and Urbik were fine, I didn't see Pears or Legursky, but the backups seem to get beat routinely. In the 11-on-11s, there seemed to be a lot of pressure.

4. The receivers didn't wow me, especially Da'rick Rogers. Johnson, Woods, Graham, Goodwin and Brad Smith look like locks, if they keep 6 it would appear to be wide open right now and I wouldn't hold my breath on them keeping the hyphen (Da'rick, that is).

5. Gilmore is the best player on the defense.

Edited by jwhit34

Haven't heard much on #2 CB position. Anyone got anything to add?

Was listening to WGR this morning online and not familiar with the guy they had on because I don't live there - Joe Buscaglia or something? Anyway, he expressed real concern about the CBs. He said outside of Gilmore it is looking realllly rough. McKelvin out there with the 1s but not looking good. He said Rob Brooks has made a few plays but not overly consistent. Surmised that they will need to blitz heavily to compensate for the DBs. Makes me think we need Byrd more than ever too.

Also - just in case anyone missed it, he said that Alex Carrington has looked awesome. Also that Jerry Hughes has looked good but tempered it with he won't start because he plays Mario's position and that all of his success has been against Cordy Glenn who struggles with certain things that Hughes does, and if up against a lineman with better footwork he may not be as good.