Salary Cap thread updated 4 times a day

I had read somewhere their is a salary minimum for the NFL cap that teams must spend. I will try to search for it unless someone else knows. I remember it started this year

88.8% of the cap needs to be spent which for $123 million is 109,244,000(someone check my math)

Edited by BuffaloFood

I had read somewhere their is a salary minimum for the NFL cap that teams must spend. I will try to search for it unless someone else knows. I remember it started this year

88.8% of the cap needs to be spent which for $123 million is 109,244,000(someone check my math)

Not quite. According to a couple articles I dug up the 89% is over a 4 year period, it's not a year to year thing. Here's one explanation.

Not quite. According to a couple articles I dug up the 89% is over a 4 year period, it's not a year to year thing. Here's one explanation.

Teams will still need to spend that 89%, regardless. Doesn't have to be year by year, but it has to equal 89% of whatever the sum of the caps is over each of those four year periods. If a team is short of that 89% at the end of a four year period (2016 or 2020), they will need to pay those players that were on the team during those periods.

Hey, maybe that's what Parker means by "retro" pay.

GO BILLS!!!

Teams will still need to spend that 89%, regardless. Doesn't have to be year by year, but it has to equal 89% of whatever the sum of the caps is over each of those four year periods. If a team is short of that 89% at the end of a four year period (2016 or 2020), they will need to pay those players that were on the team during those periods.

Hey, maybe that's what Parker means by "retro" pay.

GO BILLS!!!

That would be some retro-pay wouldn't it?

A question to all those knowledgeable fans. When we talk about a yearly cap, what is the time frame, how is it determined? Is it an average, a median of spending over the whole season, a maximum fixed dollar trigger point reached? Is there a specific target date? Is it by the end of the year, the Superbowl, the last game of the season, some other date during the season etc.?

Edited by simpleman

End of season. Teams still need to account for bonuses likely to be earned, injury replacements, etc.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/FAQ.aspx

Question 1.9a

When must teams come in compliance with the Salary Cap?

Answer: On the first day of the league year, which is typically late February/ early March. For 2011 (given the lockout), that date was set to Aug 4.

Or if you want the exceedingly turgid and dense version:

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/2011CBA.pdf