Johnny Manziel: "Too many red flags."

PromoTheRobot

Interesting take by Deadspin.

@Deadspin

Why ESPN's big Johnny Football story is a punch to the reader's balls: http://deadsp.in/JplEXGC

for as obnoxious and sometimes hypocritical as deadspin can often be, sometimes they do great coverage of the media coverage.

i was ok with the reporter not taking a college athlete whos family seems to have welcomed him into their home fully to task... which i think deadspin is saying the reporter should have done at times (calling for a more explicit stance against his drinking instead of just giving hints for instance).

the story itself has so many anecdotes, and tidbits that could be teased out into longer discussions that its difficult to fully get into, but i think it was well done for the most part.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@YahooSports

Johnny Manziel's dad: "It could come unraveled. And when it does, it's gonna be bad" @YahooForde on the ominous words http://yhoo.it/165p0Y1

hopefully it doesnt. it would be a shame if he went ryan leaf.... ill call it like i see it when a guys going the wrong path but i much prefer stories with happy endings.

either dads trying to scare him straight, or is coming unraveled himself. its a weird situation at this point.

hopefully it doesnt. it would be a shame if he went ryan leaf.... ill call it like i see it when a guys going the wrong path but i much prefer stories with happy endings.

either dads trying to scare him straight, or is coming unraveled himself. its a weird situation at this point.

After seeing JM play last year I had high hopes that he would continue to grow as a player. This offseason has been a disaster, his family and real friends need to get him under control before he implodes. At his age I don't know how I would have reacted to being famous but I can't say for certain that I would have handled it any better.

Interesting take by Deadspin.

@Deadspin

Why ESPN's big Johnny Football story is a punch to the reader's balls: http://deadsp.in/JplEXGC

That's a very good critique. He points some fingers that need pointing, most importantly at the self serving ESPN and the rest of the 'machine'. They'll just keep pumping the Johnny Football story so they'll be able to revel in it no matter if he triumphs or crashes and burns.

As Robert Duval said in The Natural, "whether you're a goat or a hero, tomorrow you're gonna make me a great story."

Yep, kids drinking in college, who would have thunk it? good thing the Bills stayed away from that Alaonso character. Wait? Huh.

Way to miss the point completely. The issue isn't that he's drinking/partying etc.

The issue is that Manziel has demonstrated that he is an IMBECILE.

Only an imbecile would choose the Peyton Manning camp to party himself into a hangover.

Only an imbecile would brag about his partying all over Twitter.

Drinking isn't a disqualifier. STUPID is a disqualifier for a top NFL QB. And yes, combine that with his already lacking size/strength and there is no way this kid is a high pick a team wants to count on anymore.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/23015877/johnny-football-has-spit-on-all-the-help-texas-am-offered-him

Shortly after Johnny Manziel won the Heisman, Texas A&M AD Eric Hyman convened a Johnny Football summit in his office. Everyone who mattered was there -- Manziel's parents, compliance, coaches, marketing, SIDs, even the celebu-quarterback himself.

The tone from the head of the athletic department: Everything has changed. Here's how we're going to handle it.

The 62-year-old Hyman knows a little bit about handling hype. The man who hired game-changer Gary Patterson at TCU, inherited Steve Spurrier at South Carolina and was run over by two-time Heisman winner Archie Griffin as a North Carolina defender, was going to set the ground rules. Hyman went so far as to consult with Florida external relations guy Mike Hill, who helped oversee the Tim Tebow phenomena.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.