(OT) Unbelievable...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marines scale back

We are offering aid and help and the Indonesian government doesn't want us in their country, even if for relief and aid purposes. Good looking out.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

202844[/snapback]

Dude,

read the whole article...they're concerned for the safety of the marines. They refused training operations. Why the hell do the Marines want air training operations when they're there to provide relief?

Imagine what would happen if while there trying to help, Marines get blasted out of the water by some suicidal martyr.

Charles

Why the hell do the Marines want air training operations when they're there to provide relief?

202854[/snapback]

Because it's part of how the military works. Commander's have to keep their people busy and qualified on their equipment. An aircraft carrier is a floating city with lots of different kinds of aircraft. Not all of those aircraft are suitable for aid missions - some of them are fighter jets and their pilots/RiOs need seat time over land to maintain their flight rating.

Or you could make an inflammatory statement showing your ignorance...

US popularity in Indonesia -with the worlds' largest Muslim population- has fallen from 61% to 15% since the invasion of Iraq. (Source NPR -today) The U.S., in a purley humanitarian effort, has agreed to de-arm our troops and have them return to the ship every day. If, in thrre months, we've done all they ask of us, we will leave. It DOES suck, as the cause transcends politics and religion, but it's their country. We can only do what they allow us to do...

US popularity in Indonesia -with the worlds' largest Muslim population- has fallen from 61% to 15% since the invasion of Iraq. (Source NPR -today) The U.S., in a purley humanitarian effort, has agreed to de-arm our troops and have them return to the ship every day. If, in thrre months, we've done all they ask of us, we will leave. It DOES suck, as the cause transcends politics and religion, but it's their country. We can only do what they allow us to do...

202874[/snapback]

Then why don't they ask Osma and his boys for some help. Seems they are only interested in helping other Muslims when it involves blowing up infidels.

I've seen what Indonesia did to East Timor when they invaded the small island country. Indonesia was on the verge of being forcefully removed from east Timor by the Aussies, so the took the island's fire trucks, filled their water tanks with jet fuel. Then they drove through the capital city spraying everything they could. Then they started the whole sity on fire as they left. More than a thousand died, and the international media gave it about three days of coverage. It was an atrocity, and I cannot believe we're helping them now.

Dude,

Why the hell do the Marines want air training operations when they're there to provide relief?

Charles

202854[/snapback]

It is interesting that MSNBC.com chose to cut this part from the full AP story:

"Under Navy rules, pilots of carrier-based warplanes including F-18 Hornets cannot go longer than 14 days without flying, or their skills areconsidered to have degraded too far and they have to undergo extensive retraining.

The Lincoln has been on station off Sumatra since Jan. 1.

Daniels [Lt. Cmdr. John M. Daniels, spokesman for the carrier's battle group] said the Navy only had permission from the Indonesian government to fly into its airspace on missions directly supporting the humanitarian operation."

That's why...

I've seen what Indonesia did to East Timor when they invaded the small island country. Indonesia was on the verge of being forcefully removed from east Timor by the Aussies, so the took the island's fire trucks, filled their water tanks with jet fuel. Then they drove through the capital city spraying everything they could. Then they started the whole sity on fire as they left. More than a thousand died, and the international media gave it about three days of coverage. It was an atrocity, and I cannot believe we're helping them now.

202900[/snapback]

It didn't get any coverage because it didn't give the U.S. a bad image, that's why.

Because it's part of how the military works.  Commander's have to keep their people busy and qualified on their equipment.  An aircraft carrier is a floating city with lots of different kinds of aircraft.  Not all of those aircraft are suitable for aid missions - some of them are fighter jets and their pilots/RiOs need seat time over land to maintain their flight rating.

Or you could make an inflammatory statement showing your ignorance...

202865[/snapback]

Thanks AD. Obviously it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good to read the whole article if you don't have any clue what you're reading about. IDIOT!

202900[/snapback]

Yup, and why did they do it? Because the residents of East Timor are Christians. My friend is a dentist in the Navy. A couple of years ago he was in East Timor doing some dental work on the locals (mostly pulling rotting teeth). He sent me some pictures from the USS Harper's Ferry. Looked like a bunch of refugees, but they sure were happy to see the sailors. This was about 4 years ago.

202874[/snapback]

I have a hard time we were ever at 61% popularity in Indonesia.

There is at least one radical Muslim group with ties to Al Qaida is involved in Sumatra, having set up a camp for those affected. Radicals have promised not to attack westerners there providing aid. Residents of that province have long been engaged in rebellion against the national Indonesian government. It could be that the Indonesian government is concerned about the safety of US Marines. It is also possible that Indonesia would like to kick the rebels while they're down.

They have a history with dealing violently with their own people when they don't cow down to the government. They did so on the Island of Timor just a few years ago.

I guess I'm just getting a little bitter to the fact that we are so badly thought of all over the world and we're always leading the way to help. I don't need any Iraq war comments here but our country helps so many and it's never appreciated. Sometimes I just want to say f-it and let them all fend for themselves and we'll worry about only ourselves.

There is at least one radical Muslim group with ties to Al Qaida is involved in Sumatra, having set up a camp for those affected.  Radicals have promised not to attack westerners there providing aid.

202926[/snapback]

Hmm, kind of like the Red Cross and C.A.R.E in Iraq?

Oh wait, they blew up the Red Cross HQ, and shot a C.A.R.E worker in the head.

But I am sure that promise will be kept.

I have a hard time we were ever at 61% popularity in Indonesia.

202920[/snapback]

I do also...they hate EVERYONE over there

when i was there back in 1996, I was yelled at, given the finger (apparently they know what that means) and had things thrown at me for just walking down the street

my team captain (swim team) got into a cab and since he didn't speak the language, he gave the cab driver a piece of paper with the address on it...the cab driver proceeded to take the piece of paper, light it on fire with a lighter and yelled at him to get out

in 1998, jakarta international school evacuated their students to singapore and the local indonesians went around destroying businesses owned by foreigners (that includes the chinese that have lived on the island for decades)...not a friendly place

not only that, the place is filthy as hell...we were told specifically not to put any tap water into our mouths...we could shower with it, but to be careful not to get it in our mouths our eyes...we brushed our teeth with bottled water

I guess I'm just getting a little bitter to the fact that we are so badly thought of all over the world and we're always leading the way to help. I don't need any Iraq war comments here but our country helps so many and it's never appreciated. Sometimes I just want to say f-it and let them all fend for themselves and we'll worry about only ourselves.

202927[/snapback]

that seems to be what china does, and no one complains

202927[/snapback]

Actually the tactics that are going on are as effective, if not more so, than combat missions. The terrorists, supported by the people that harbor them, have no problem inciting the masses against the US when they are attacking Muslim countries. They can point to Iraq and say "look at those infidels attacking our brothers, colonizing the holy land." But something like this happens, and the survivors are receiving food and water with "Courtesy of the USA" all over them, and all we do is provide humanitarian aid and move along, all while the radicals stand around mostly helpless, and all of a sudden we don't look like the "invading infidels." And all the radicals can do is sit on their hands, because attacking an aid mission to the people you are grooming as supporters only hurts your cause further.

Thanks AD. Obviously it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good to read the whole article if you don't have any clue what you're reading about. IDIOT!

202912[/snapback]

Ah, yes...and you're the very picture of enlightenment...sigh, who's sig file is about death and dying?

Look, if there was explaining to be done, then explain. Why the hypersensitivity?

Geez...

Charles

Ah, yes...and you're the very picture of enlightenment...sigh, who's sig file is about death and dying?

Look, if there was explaining to be done, then explain.  Why the hypersensitivity?

Geez...

Charles

202966[/snapback]

Because military people take an inordinate amount of crap based on the ignorance of the masses and we're a little tired of it. The sig line comment you made is a good example. That comment was made by one of the most important figures in US military history.