(OT) Unbelievable...

I hear you.

But you got understand our folks getting mad when it is our hands that feeds them that are getting bitten.

203331[/snapback]

I understand the anger...but 3 things:

1) Not everyone there feels the same way about everything. Their govt is not a referendum for the whole pop. Their govt., just like our govt. has it's own agenda. I don't think we should confuse the two.

2)If they refuse our help - which I still don't believe they are but am willing to concede some doubt - then the noble thing to do is to do our best and leave.

3) I am not sure whose hand is being bitten in this particular case. I'm not being sarcastic - just asking for clarification.

Charles

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then, why not quote the quote correctly...

I believe Patton said, " It's not about dying for your country.  It's about having your enemy die for his."  I don't know if that's what Patton actually said. But *that's* what has been popularly attributed to him.

Then of course, George C. Scott said in Patton (which incidentally was a Hollywood dramatization of the events and naturally hyperbole), "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. "

So, I guess your definition of ignorance is in the eye of the beholder.  It's either a quote or it's paraphrased.  Can't be both.

As for military people, taking crap - I agree.  I have a brother in law who was in the Army.  There's plenty of ignorance to go around. Not least of all by folks who don't understand the historical significance or involvement of the US in politics in that part of the world.

I didn't say quote. I said comment. Therein lies the difference. If you knew WTF it meant, then why be an a-hole about it?

Hmm, kind of like the Red Cross and C.A.R.E in Iraq?

Oh wait, they blew up the Red Cross HQ, and shot a C.A.R.E worker in the head.

But I am sure that promise will be kept.

202931[/snapback]

I didn't mean to imply that anyone affiliated with AlQaida could be trusted. I only report what I heard.

Half of me wants to cancel the aid check I sent. The other half realizes that given our current reputation around the world in the aftermath of the Iraq affair, I cant blame Indonesia. But either way, we've done our part to help. We will continue to help, but if Indonesia "pushes" the U.S. out at the end of March, then fugg em. We should just pick up and slide over to India or Thailand or a country that WANTS our help. Kinda like that line in 'Airplane'..."Chump dont want the help, chump dont get the help." Let the Saudis or the U.N. take care of Indonesia.

I heard the announcement made by the government official yesterday. He clearly stated that the rebel group (GAM or GAR or something like that) had violated the ceasefire they declared - they kidnapped someone. He went on to state because of that they feared for foreigners. In fact he ordered that foreigners NOT go outside the capital without notifying the government and also taking armed guards with them.

He stated that they greatly feared that foreigners would be kidnapped or otherwise injured and for that reason they were being careful and were hoping to get the foreign military out of the country as soon as they could.

Given the history of the country and revolution it seems to make sense. Imagine the outcry if a bunch of rebels open fire on our troops or kidnap our relief workers. That's got to be almost as frightening to the government of Indonesia as it is to the citizens of the United states.

News Article

This is unbelieveable. Now our military along with military help from Australia, Japan, and malaysia have been told to get out ASAP, definately no longer then three months. I guess the radical islamic fundamentalists are going to be helping with the reconstruction of that crap hole country.

I just wish that GWB had the balls respond to Indonisia with a big ole "See Ya" and call the troops back home TOMMORROW. I say that one more day there is 24 hours too damn long.

Screw these third world fools who would bow down to the terrorists, and shamefully slap the face of those who are only there to help people in need.

News Article

This is unbelieveable. Now our military along with military help from Australia, Japan, and malaysia have been told to get out ASAP, definately no longer then three months. I guess the radical islamic fundamentalists are going to be helping with the reconstruction of that crap hole country.

I just wish that GWB had the balls respond to Indonisia with a big ole "See Ya" and call the troops back home TOMMORROW. I say that one more day there is 24 hours too damn long.

Screw these third world fools who would bow down to the terrorists, and shamefully slap the face of those who are only there to help people in need.

204120[/snapback]

This from the same country how had a guy wearing a Usama Bin Laden t-shirt on global TV while appealling for aid.

This is why neither my girlfriend nor myself will send one dime overseas to help those people. I feel bad for the innocent ones that have nothing to do with the radicals, but Indonesia can just fall into the ocean for all I care.

News Article

204120[/snapback]

QUESTION: How many Islamic based charties help people in non-muslims countries?

I can't think of any.

I know a bunch a Christian ones that do.

They don't care what religion you are.

I understand the anger...but 3 things:

1) Not everyone there feels the same way about everything.  Their govt is not a referendum for the whole pop.  Their govt., just like our govt. has it's own agenda.  I don't think we should confuse the two.

2)If they refuse our help - which I still don't believe they are but am willing to concede some doubt - then the noble thing to do is to do our best and leave.

3) I am not sure whose hand is being bitten in this particular case.  I'm not being sarcastic - just asking for clarification.

Charles

203494[/snapback]

That would be the America's hand being bitten