(OT) Unbelievable...

Because military people take an inordinate amount of crap based on the ignorance of the masses and we're a little tired of it.  The sig line comment you made is a good example.  That comment was made by one of the most important figures in US military history.

202977[/snapback]

Well said, AD. By the way, that GREAT quote was first said by General George Patton.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because military people take an inordinate amount of crap based on the ignorance of the masses and we're a little tired of it.  The sig line comment you made is a good example.  That comment was made by one of the most important figures in US military history.

202977[/snapback]

Hey buddy, this civilian and his family has nothing but respect and gratitude for what the men and and women of the military do for this country.

Did you hear the story about the Marine in Fort Worth, Texas, who was refused service at a local quicky mart?

Turns out the clerks were from the middle east.

It was on our local news web site this morning, now I can't find it anywhere...

203121[/snapback]

What a surprise. Imagine it was a white man in the south refusing service to someone of Middle Eastern decent. Welcome to the headline news story on virtually every acronymed news station on cable.

Ah, yes...and you're the very picture of enlightenment...sigh, who's sig file is about death and dying?

Look, if there was explaining to be done, then explain.  Why the hypersensitivity?

Geez...

Charles

202966[/snapback]

How do you justify your miserable life, cale?

No, seriously. Answer my !@#$ing post.

Calling those who are willing to sacrifice their life for democracy and freedom as unenlightened is pathetic.

What a surprise.  Imagine it was a white man in the south refusing service to someone of Middle Eastern decent.  Welcome to the headline news story on virtually every acronymed news station on cable.

203125[/snapback]

I sure it would the subject of this week's Dateline if that were the case.

I bet you these jack off clerks are the same folks, who on the day after 9/11, changed the price of the $1.00 flags at the counter to $20.00.

Seen it happen here myself.

Hey buddy, this civilian and his family has nothing but respect and gratitude for what the men and and women of the military do for this country.

Did you hear the story about the Marine in Fort Worth, Texas, who was refused service at a local quicky mart?

Turns out the clerks were from the middle east.

203121[/snapback]

The link for that story is HERE.

Update can be found HERE.

Good to see community come together like this.

Big deal, he got fired from his counter job at the mini mart.... Bring his ass here to Camp Lejeune and let us deal with his ignorance.

203185[/snapback]

A little LINE training in the swamp? Maybe he could help out with some MCMAP classes. :)

202977[/snapback]

Well, then, why not quote the quote correctly...

I believe Patton said, " It's not about dying for your country. It's about having your enemy die for his." I don't know if that's what Patton actually said. But *that's* what has been popularly attributed to him.

Then of course, George C. Scott said in Patton (which incidentally was a Hollywood dramatization of the events and naturally hyperbole), "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. "

So, I guess your definition of ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. It's either a quote or it's paraphrased. Can't be both.

As for military people, taking crap - I agree. I have a brother in law who was in the Army. There's plenty of ignorance to go around. Not least of all by folks who don't understand the historical significance or involvement of the US in politics in that part of the world.

Given that the CIA propped the politically corrupt Sukarno or Suharto regimes up against the majority of the people.

Lookc- I'm not saying it's not short sighted or dumb to refuse help. But they're not saying they don't want help. They're just saying the shortest amount of time American military uniforms can be on Indonesian soil, the better for all concerned. The American State Dept rep in the story agreed as much.

Nothing occurs in a vacuum. You have to take everything in context. If you go around saying some people are stupid or ignorant and not consider the facts, then, well, it just demonstrates your own ignorance.

I also understand the frustration and anger of folks like USMCBillsFan - who think - wait, we're just trying to help, why are we getting this sh--? Don't seem to understand that in some cases, the US Govt. has knowingly or unknowingly subterfuged the goodwill and honest dedication of service folks like USMCBillsFan and others on this board for questionable motives and goals. They're innocent bystanders, of course. But that's not how people on the receiving end (like oppressed Indonesians, Vietnamese, add your own demographic here) see it.

Seeing the opportunity, extremists step in take up the "cause" of the people. It's happened that way for centuries. In revolutionary and "civil war" America, in Ireland, in the Middle East, In Southeast Asia, in South America etc.

The way the US went to war in Iraq hasn't done our country any favors either. Just today they've announced the end of the search for WMDs.

And then when you say, this place sucks because they don't want American servicemen and women past 90 days and won't let us fly fighter jets over their air space, well, it just feeds into the ignorance spiral...

I hope this makes sense, and if it doesn't - sigh...

Charles

ps. I agree with the firing of the clerk at the mini mart - ignorance and prejudice have no place anywhere in the world

Calling those who are willing to sacrifice their life for democracy and freedom as unenlightened is pathetic.

203158[/snapback]

Calm down Helmet - read my initial post - read my follow ups and then if you still have issues. We can talk.

C

Dude,

read the whole article...they're concerned for the safety of the marines.  They refused training operations.  Why the hell do the Marines want air training operations when they're there to provide relief?

Imagine what would happen if while there trying to help, Marines get blasted out of the water by some suicidal martyr.

Charles

202854[/snapback]

Dude, I read the whole article and it shows that the Vice President and The Military are trying to exercise control over our troops rendering aid to their country. The obvious conclusions are that the government and the Military want to starve out thr rebles and that the government and the military don't like us much.

If, as they say it is dangerous to help out in some areas we should be able to cary guns and protect our own troops. I say, if the f#*@ers don't want our help, let them say so. We can use some manpower in California. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

the US Govt. has knowingly or unknowingly subterfuged the goodwill and honest dedication of service folks like USMCBillsFan and others on this board for questionable motives and goals.  They're innocent bystanders, of course.  But that's not how people on the receiving end (like oppressed Indonesians, Vietnamese, add your own demographic here) see it.

203254[/snapback]

Sorry, but I am a little tired of statements like that. Give a country like Syria, or Iran, our power and prominence and see how much aid they give to foreign countries, how many foreigners they let come into their country to use their social programs, and how benign their military would be.

I am sure it would bombs away for all the infidels.

China, the second largest economy in the world, with largest standing army, does nothing about this disaster in THEIR OWN BACKYARD, while they occupy Tibet and threaten Tiwain with 800 missiles to rejoin the motherland.

Just imagine if Sudan had our might. What would they do with it?

Sorry, but I am a little tired of statements like that. Give a country like Syria, or Iran, our power and prominence and see how much aid they give to foreign countries, how many foreigners they let come into their country to use their social programs, and how benign their military would be.

I am sure it would bombs away for all the infidels.

China, the second largest economy in the world, with largest standing army, does nothing about this disaster in THEIR OWN BACKYARD, while they occupy Tibet and threaten Tiwain with 800 missiles to rejoin the motherland.

Just imagine if Sudan had our might. What would they do with it?

203271[/snapback]

You're right - I never want to find out...But my point is simply that when the US military goes somewhere now there is baggage...Is it ignorant? Yessir - but you don't fight ignorance with ignorance - just dunna work.

C

You're right - I never want to find out...But my point is simply that when the US military goes somewhere now there is baggage...Is it ignorant? Yessir - but you don't fight ignorance with ignorance - just dunna work.

C

203281[/snapback]

I hear you.

But you got understand our folks getting mad when it is our hands that feeds them that are getting bitten.

203158[/snapback]

So just because someone has done some time in the military at one point or another in their life means they are right about everything?

Christ...people go a little far with the love fest sometimes.

So just because someone has done some time in the military at one point or another in their life means they are right about everything?

Christ...people go a little far with the love fest sometimes.

203420[/snapback]

That's the thing, I don't want to ever give the impression that I don't appreciate the sacrifice USMC or any other service person makes. But as Bear points out they aren't necessarily right about everything. And neither am I...But, man...