If you could only get a do over....

It started when i was dismissing how the Bills would never let JByrd get away and then I thought about Jabari Greer.. Jason Peters.. London Fletcher.... Willis Mcgahee, Donte Whitner, Levitre..Posluszny and it struck me how those guys could make a significant impact on the success of their teams...i'm not sure which one i would want back...but i do know they were all talented players that for one reason or another got away....so here's the question...which one of the former bills (maybe someone i overlooked) who's likely to play this year would you want back....

If you pushed me hard enough i'd love to see Poz in Pettine's scheme....

If we're talking right now, 2013, this season?

Levitre, as of now, but my feeling is still gonna be that Byrd is traded prior to the season and if that's the case, I'll say Byrd.

Besides them, I might say Peters because if we had him we wouldn't have had to waste draft picks on Hairston or Glenn, chances are we might not have taken Wood or Levitre either.

If I'm forced to come up with a Bill in recent past who I'd want back, hands down Antoine Winfield or Pat Williams.

It started when i was dismissing how the Bills would never let JByrd get away and then I thought about Jabari Greer.. Jason Peters.. London Fletcher.... Willis Mcgahee, Donte Whitner, Levitre..Posluszny and it struck me how those guys could make a significant impact on the success of their teams...i'm not sure which one i would want back...but i do know they were all talented players that for one reason or another got away....so here's the question...which one of the former bills (maybe someone i overlooked) who's likely to play this year would you want back....

Jabari Greer was a painful loss--he's been a starter for New Orleans the last four years. The Bills sure could have used another CB this past season.

The Bills traded Jason Peters for a first round pick from the Eagles. The Eagles released Peters just a few seasons after that trade. I do not want a do-over on that one!

London Fletcher and Pat Williams are guys who maintained high levels of play later into their careers than you'd expect. Sure, a do-over would be nice in either or both those cases; but that's 20-20 hindsight. Based on the data available at the time, their longevity would have been difficult to predict.

I do not object to the Bills' letting Whitner go. Like Nate Clements before him, the 49ers are overpaying Whitner for his production.

As mrags hinted at, the most painful player loss in recent memory was Antoine Winfield. The Bills lost the majority of Winfield's career to the Vikings, with no draft pick compensation at all. Losing a Pro Bowl player at a premium position, with no compensation, after just 1/3 of his career, is about as bad as it gets.

London Fletcher. He would have been a "risky" resign for his age at time we let him go (32), but he has averaged over 140 tackles a year the last 6 years in Washington, hasn't missed a start, and provided a passionate, vocal leader.

We could sure have used some of those things over the last 6 years

If the Bills had a real QB, losing any of the players of recent memory would mean very little. In light of that belief, the do over would be taking any of the QBs of recent memory that have won a Super Bowl. Without the right guy at QB, the Bills could have a 200,000,000.00 dollar salary cap and still field a team that can't get it done. Every year, good teams lose good players, getting the right QB and keeping them healthy and on the roster seems to matter the most. When I look at the players many lament not having on the roster, none of them happens to be a QB.

The Bills traded Jason Peters for a first round pick from the Eagles. The Eagles released Peters just a few seasons after that trade. I do not want a do-over on that one!

They did?

http://www.philadelp...77-1caadfd31ade

I agree though Peters for Wood was a good trade though. Assuming he is resigned.

London Fletcher. He would have been a "risky" resign for his age at time we let him go (32), but he has averaged over 140 tackles a year the last 6 years in Washington, hasn't missed a start, and provided a passionate, vocal leader.

We could sure have used some of those things over the last 6 years

This

Edited by BRAWNDO

If we're talking right now, 2013, this season?

Levitre, as of now, but my feeling is still gonna be that Byrd is traded prior to the season and if that's the case, I'll say Byrd.

Besides them, I might say Peters because if we had him we wouldn't have had to waste draft picks on Hairston or Glenn, chances are we might not have taken Wood or Levitre either.

If I'm forced to come up with a Bill in recent past who I'd want back, hands down Antoine Winfield or Pat Williams.

Realistically byrds got a week to be traded.... You really think that's happening with no rumor of it? Or are we talking a team trading for a one year contract they can't extend until after the season?

Do you hope E.J. Manuel becomes a top NFL QB? If you do, then you better get real used to losing players.

Realistically byrds got a week to be traded.... You really think that's happening with no rumor of it? Or are we talking a team trading for a one year contract they can't extend until after the season?

If Byrd's agent decides to try to force maximum value he will be signed and traded for he is not worth maximum value to all teams including Bills. Since Bills did not tag him as exclusive rights franchise player; the team getting him will negotiate ahead of time extension before trade. That shows you the difference between a true must keep player like Brees, Henry Melton, Michael Johnson, Anthony Spencer, Pat McAfee, Randy Starks, etc. The Bills would welcome an offer for 2 1st round picks but no team thinks Byrd is that good or essential.

I was wondering with all the talk about a certain Bills player & his contract talk just how many other players that could have had a long career with the Bills were let go in the not to distant past that could have helped to keep our team much more rellevent if we would have come off the cash ...

Now i do realize that there would have been no way we could have kept all of these guys due to the cap but i'm just trying to think of something to talk about to fill the dead time till the season starts so dig in ...

I'll start with a few that i can think of off the top of my head :

Antione Winfield

Jabari Greer

Jason Peters - UHG even though i can't stand the guy !!

Poz

Nate Clemens

Andy Levetrie

O.K your turn Go Bills fans !!!

no. They can trade Byrd at any time. And I personally think he'll be traded about 2 weeks or less before the season starts.

Jabari Greer was a painful loss--he's been a starter for New Orleans the last four years. The Bills sure could have used another CB this past season.

London Fletcher and Pat Williams are guys who maintained high levels of play later into their careers than you'd expect. Sure, a do-over would be nice in either or both those cases; but that's 20-20 hindsight. Based on the data available at the time, their longevity would have been difficult to predict.

I do not object to the Bills' letting Whitner go. Like Nate Clements before him, the 49ers are overpaying Whitner for his production.

As mrags hinted at, the most painful player loss in recent memory was Antoine Winfield. The Bills lost the majority of Winfield's career to the Vikings, with no draft pick compensation at all. Losing a Pro Bowl player at a premium position, with no compensation, after just 1/3 of his career, is about as bad as it gets.

Peters is still an Eagle.

Peters is still an Eagle.

Yeah, my bad. I think I got him confused with Demetress Bell. After a while, it's hard to keep track of which Bills' LTs have been acquired by the Eagles (Peters), which have been acquired and released (Bell), and which have not yet been acquired (Glenn).

After a while, it's hard to keep track of which Bills' LTs have been acquired by the Eagles (Peters), which have been acquired and released (Bell), and which have not yet been acquired (Glenn).

You !@#$ !@#$.

You couldn't have let us all know BEFORE we went out and got Cordy Glenn jerseys!!!!!?????

If Byrd's agent decides to try to force maximum value he will be signed and traded for he is not worth maximum value to all teams including Bills. Since Bills did not tag him as exclusive rights franchise player; the team getting him will negotiate ahead of time extension before trade. That shows you the difference between a true must keep player like Brees, Henry Melton, Michael Johnson, Anthony Spencer, Pat McAfee, Randy Starks, etc. The Bills would welcome an offer for 2 1st round picks but no team thinks Byrd is that good or essential.

Again, that doesn't address the deadline of July 15 to sign a multi year deal. Or do you think a team is doing it come camp with no extension?

no. They can trade Byrd at any time. And I personally think he'll be traded about 2 weeks or less before the season starts.

They can but the team extending him is a major issue, since he won't be able to sign a long term deal til next year

Think anyone's sending top picks for a free safety on a one year contract? Atleast high enough to justify us biting?

You !@#$ !@#$.

You couldn't have let us all know BEFORE we went out and got Cordy Glenn jerseys!!!!!?????

I take it you haven't seen the following draft-day transcript.

Reporter: so tell me your thoughts and feelings about Cordy Glenn.

Eagles GM: We're very excited about Cordy, and thrilled he fell to us in the second round.

Reporter: but he didn't actually fall to you guys. He was taken by the Buffalo Bills.

Eagles GM: With Cordy, we went through a two-part process. The first part was to decide if we felt comfortable with him as our long-term left tackle. The answer there was yes. The second question was whether we needed him immediately. We felt Cordy was a little raw; and there are already guys on our team who can hold the LT position down for the next few years.

Reporter: All that is great, but Glenn isn't actually an Eagle.

Eagles GM: Fortunately, we didn't have to throw Cordy to the wolves right away. He can spend the next few years in Buffalo before graduating to the Eagles.

Reporter: but what guarantee do you have that he'll become an Eagle? What if he spends the rest of his career in Buffalo?

Eagles GM: After he was picked, I called Cordy to congratulate him. "Cordy," I said, "I want to welcome you to the Eagles franchise. I trust you'll make us proud. Keep your chin up, and don't let yourself get discouraged about the fact you'll spend the first few years of your Eagles career in a Bills' uniform."

Reporter: but aren't you worried about the possibility he might not join the Eagles?

Eagles GM: I think Cordy has a great combination of work ethic, height, arm length, arm strength, toughness, and athleticism. I don't have any Cordy-related worries. I'm confident he'll do a great job of protecting the Eagles' blind side for many years to come.

Again, that doesn't address the deadline of July 15 to sign a multi year deal. Or do you think a team is doing it come camp with no extension?

They can but the team extending him is a major issue, since he won't be able to sign a long term deal til next year

Think anyone's sending top picks for a free safety on a one year contract? Atleast high enough to justify us biting?

well, I've said before that we won't get a very high draft pick for him. 2nd would be my best guess.

I know there's the fact that if he signs the franchise tag, then we can't negotiate with him until after the season (I still think that's dumb, teams re-negotiate during the season all the time) but what if he never signs the tag? What if he does but being that he's traded to another team, does that team have an option to re-negotiate with him because they didn't put the tag on him?

Too many variables, in the end, I still predict he's gone from the team come opening day. In fact, if he actually signs his tag and we keep him for 1 year, I'll be furious because ill know that he'll be gone at the end of the year. We will play this game all next summer again with him and it'll be harder to justify because his tag $$$ will be much more.