What are the chances.... (Home opener related)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who I haven't seem mentioned in ANY of these talks- a solid but not spectacular giants tight end that tore his ACL in the Super Bowl. The pats were mocked a bit for claiming Ballard, but he's looking like a very nice pickup today, despite having to be paid for a year on injured reserve. I seem to recall saying "good for them, you just never know what will happen, even at a position of strength" but I never quite expected this week to unfold. I just figured a cheap third option at a physical position was good value.

Edited by NoSaint

I dont know what the chances are, OP....but facing a two tight end set offense (Patriots) typically.....this could bode well for Buffalo if they are using 3rd stringers at tight end.

Circle the wagons, boys ! I am totally stoked for week one. Thinkin y'all are too !

I dont know what the chances are, OP....but facing a two tight end set offense (Patriots) typically.....this could bode well for Buffalo if they are using 3rd stringers at tight end.

Circle the wagons, boys ! I am totally stoked for week one. Thinkin y'all are too !

Ballard, hoomanuwanui and sudfeld wouldn't be a strength, but is maybe about a league average position group? Serviceable? Assuming Ballard returns to 2011 form. Certainly a big step back though from the duo they could trot out there.

Edited by NoSaint

You know who I haven't seem mentioned in ANY of these talks- a solid but not spectacular giants tight end that tore his ACL in the Super Bowl. The pats were mocked a bit for claiming Ballard, but he's looking like a very nice pickup today, despite having to be paid for a year on injured reserve. I seem to recall saying "good for them, you just never know what will happen, even at a position of strength" but I never quite expected this week to unfold. I just figured a cheap third option at a physical position was good value.

Regarding Ballard, besides being mocked the Cheatriots*** were also lauded in some corners for a shrewd move and they were also criticized by some for violating an "unwritten rule of honor" that you don't claim a player off of waivers when his team is trying to place him on injured reserve.

And while Ballard has some nice tools, he remains an undrafted player so I'm not seeing where their offense is going to make up for all the firepower lost this offseason.

Regarding Ballard, besides being mocked the Cheatriots*** were also lauded in some corners for a shrewd move and they were also criticized by some for violating an "unwritten rule of honor" that you don't claim a player off of waivers when his team is trying to place him on injured reserve.

And while Ballard has some nice tools, he remains an undrafted player so I'm not seeing where their offense is going to make up for all the firepower lost this offseason.

He's not fire power, but truly for a 3rd option TE a guy that had over 600 yards in 13 games the one season he played is a pretty good. Hoomanawanui has had some successes and sudfeld is a 6'7, 255lbs project but for a 5th option (possibly 6th option as fells isn't bad) sudfeld is nearly as promising as our #3 potentially... Was just pointing out, if they are missing 2 guys that might be top ten players at the position league wide, they are still surprisingly comfortable in the remaining depth chart. Obviously a big drop off, but as you kind of indirectly note the hole is more at "playmaker" than "tight end"

Edited by NoSaint

Obviously a big drop off, but as you kind of indirectly note the hole is more at "playmaker" than "tight end"

Exactly.

If you accept the widely-accepted premise that an NFL offense must be able to stretch the field in order to be successful, then the Cheatriots*** have to have some serious concerns.

Exactly.

If you accept the widely-accepted premise that an NFL offense must be able to stretch the field in order to be successful, then the Cheatriots*** have to have some serious concerns.

Donald. Jones.

Serious though - they are likely hopeful to have gronk back for September. If they can ground and pound with Blount, and use Brady to just keep the defense a little honest, they should be effective to good in the meantime, but maybe not the well oiled machine were used to. I'm of the thought gronk plays most of the season leaving them pretty good still, but its not a gimme by any means.

"If you accept the widely accepted premise"

Sometimes i dont understand you.

Of course i accept the widely accepted premise.

Why ? Doesn't almost everyone ?

Unless you are Chan (decent guy more than halfsmart) Gailey with only thisFitz guy who cant chuck the ball more than sixteen feet but reads and releases really fast and then you have to run the spread.

Otherwise ,yes i do accept the vaunted and then of course widely accepted premise .

speed kills.

man

"If you accept the widely accepted premise"

Sometimes i dont understand you.

Of course i accept the widely accepted premise.

Why ? Doesn't almost everyone ?

Unless you are Chan (decent guy more than halfsmart) Gailey with only thisFitz guy who cant chuck the ball more than sixteen feet but reads and releases really fast and then you have to run the spread.

Otherwise ,yes i do accept the vaunted and then of course widely accepted premise .

speed kills.

man

Aha!

So you admit that you agree with me!

Donald. Jones.

Serious though - they are likely hopeful to have gronk back for September. If they can ground and pound with Blount, and use Brady to just keep the defense a little honest, they should be effective to good in the meantime, but maybe not the well oiled machine were used to. I'm of the thought gronk plays most of the season leaving them pretty good still, but its not a gimme by any means.

Donald Jones. you said Doanald Jones huh huh.

just watched one of Spillers highlight reels recently and i took notice of Jones blocking, or not.

alot of not . yep .

Brady is going to have a mental breakdown hissy fit this year. On the field. Hopefully against US.

He's in deep swill and he will get frustrated with his lack of receivers being in tune with him. He will not have the quality of receivers he has become, ahem , accustomed to.

I think the Welker thing was arrogant and now shows to be in error possibly for Bill and his evil minions.

Aha!

So you admit that you agree with me!

Never Sir !

You confound me with your wit yet again .

CursesI say to you San Jose Bills Fan.

Curses!

And a WR playing corner.

Part of why I'm slow to count them out

You absolutely have to be slow to count this team out. They seem masterful at improvising. I am thinking we should give them a run for their money. Heck we were competitive against them last year. This year we "should" be able to get more pressure on Brady, and we've got some speed at the WR position. Pressure on Brady...thats the key IMO. If you watch the Giants vs NE, they were able to get a lot of pressure on Brady. (although much of it was posed by the front 4) . He is a much different QB when the heat is on.

JB

Its so pathetic we have to hope for surgery, murder and FA attrition to not get dominated by our division rival year in, year out.

Basically.

I hope Gronk and Hernandez play, and that the Patriots are full strength. I want to see how our team performs vs a real team, not one in shambles.

Basically.

I hope Gronk and Hernandez play, and that the Patriots are full strength. I want to see how our team performs vs a real team, not one in shambles.

The coaches and players don't hope for opponents to be at full strength, why would you? Based on your logic why not just assemble an All Star team and have the Bills play them to see how they perform. As I stated earlier injuries and suspensions are part of the game. I don't remember the Patriots or any other team cutting the Bills any slack when they have injuries or suspensions.

The coaches and players don't hope for opponents to be at full strength, why would you? Based on your logic why not just assemble an All Star team and have the Bills play them to see how they perform. As I stated earlier injuries and suspensions are part of the game. I don't remember the Patriots or any other team cutting the Bills any slack when they have injuries or suspensions.

True...but when you beat a quality opponent at full strength it removes all doubt from the nay-sayers. You dont get that yea but, yea but thing as much. I hear what Dork is saying...but you are correct.