Pettine's defense vs the No huddle

If they were successful at both 4/3 and 3/4, then you could call them versatile. Given the track record, I'd call them terrible. That said, I do hope that better coaching with an eye toward player strengths make for a better defense.

they might not have been successful at either defensive front. BUT... Many of the players have played many different positions and that's my point. It's not like they have to learn these positions from the beginning. It'll be more like, "I've played this position before, and now I can see why this or that Didnt work and I understand why were doing it this way".

I'm not worried about the no huddle of say New Orleans or New England, but the reporter hit the nail the other day where Pettine had excellent corners in NY and a sound secondary in Baltimore. I think with coaching Gilmore will be fine. We have Decent safeties and back ups now with the draft. What about the other corner. His defensive scheme works with excellent cover corners like Revis and Cromartie.

I feel very confident we are going to have a significantly improved defense and offense with som growing pains at QB. That's ok as we may finally have a franchise QB. I love Jim Miller from NFL Radio who just has a love fest for Manuel, and the Bills draft. He picked them for most improved team in the AFC.

Go Miller!

I think the confusion here is the belief that Pettine's "multiple" defense means players being constantly, or often, substituted. Although I'm sure Pettine will use many of his players and play to their strengths, I think his whole MULTIPLE look Defense has more to do with a base formation that can line up in a bunch of different formations USING THE SAME PERSONNEL. Imagine we line up in a 3-4, and then with the same players on the field we line up in a 3-3-5, and then the very next play with the same personnel we line up in a 4-2-5.

Therefore, no huddle will not necessarily adversely effect our base defense.

How can this be, you might ask? Well, it's in the fact that Pettine will require some of his safeties to be able to play nickel CB duties, and some of his linebackers to play safety duties, and some of his DE's to play OLB.

My concern is our own "Up tempo" or " No huttle" . Three and outs late in the game will be a killer.

My concern is our own "Up tempo" or " No huttle" . Three and outs late in the game will be a killer.

From what I've heard out of Marrone and Hackett, there is no intent to be no "huttle" 100% of the time. They want to be able to vary their tempo as needed, to keep defenses off balance. Certainly, with a lead late in the game they won't be playing hurry-up.