Brian Urlacher annouces his retirement from the NFL

Exactly...

And I'm not trying to take anything away from Urlacher who was obviously an excellent NFL LB...But I can't for the life of me understand how the hype machine immediately starts talking about 1st Ballot HOF concerning Urlacher, yet Cornelius Bennett never even gets mentioned for the HOF...They were different players no question...But I'll take Biscuit, especially in his prime, any day over Urlacher...And admittedly that may be just me... B-)

I would definitely take Biscuit on one of his best days over Urlacher. As for 1st ballot HOF :rolleyes: , he can wait till Ray is in. Maybe Dick Jauron can induct him. :thumbsup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urlacher was a beast and still can play. Honestly, the league doesn't value vets at all. The fact that Charles Woodson has to wait for a job is a joke. Every player should hold out and get every penny they can get.

As you well know, the game has completely changed due to the CBA and the rule changes. Draft picks are very cheap these days. For instance in 2006, our very own Donte Whitner signed a bigger and better contract than Andrew Luck did in 2012 6 years later.Think about this for a moment if you will.....no coach or GM on earth (save perhaps Levy/Jauron) would rather have Whitner than a young, star quarterback. Whiter if you recall successfully held out for a while to boot. Team are going to pay a million dollars or less for a second round pick before they give 5 million or so to an aging vet. There is no getting around this.

And since this game resembles the Arena League, Joe Flacco, who I consider good but not at all great), makes more than 20 million per season. In a capped league, this money has to come from somewhere. Other than the dumb Revis signing, what CBs are making the huge buck as happened not so long ago? I heard on Sirius that Joe Thomas actually lost money by not accepting an earlier offer to stay on the Dolphins at LT.

My point is that it is the vets who are taking the hit. It seems to me that today, the only way to build a winning team is to draft the right quarterback,and pay him pennies for 5 years as you build a team around him. And if he is good, break the bank to keep him. This leaves very little room to spend the big bucks on older guys whose bodies have already taken a beating.

And yes, there are exceptions. Andy Levitre was one. :wallbash:

As you well know, the game has completely changed due to the CBA and the rule changes. Draft picks are very cheap these days. For instance in 2006, our very own Donte Whitner signed a bigger and better contract than Andrew Luck did in 2012 6 years later.Think about this for a moment if you will.....no coach or GM on earth (save perhaps Levy/Jauron) would rather have Whitner than a young, star quarterback. Whiter if you recall successfully held out for a while to boot. Team are going to pay a million dollars or less for a second round pick before they give 5 million or so to an aging vet. There is no getting around this.

And since this game resembles the Arena League, Joe Flacco, who I consider good but not at all great), makes more than 20 million per season. In a capped league, this money has to come from somewhere. Other than the dumb Revis signing, what CBs are making the huge buck as happened not so long ago? I heard on Sirius that Joe Thomas actually lost money by not accepting an earlier offer to stay on the Dolphins at LT.

My point is that it is the vets who are taking the hit. It seems to me that today, the only way to build a winning team is to draft the right quarterback,and pay him pennies for 5 years as you build a team around him. And if he is good, break the bank to keep him. This leaves very little room to spend the big bucks on older guys whose bodies have already taken a beating.

And yes, there are exceptions. Andy Levitre was one. :wallbash:

Really excellent post except for your very last sentence.

I don't think you give big contracts to players that aren't difference makers.

According to ESPN (Sportscenter) last night, "a media outlet" picked up this story and posted it as a legit news story....journalism may be dead, but faux-journalism is having a renaissance!

Wow.

That a decision maker in the media is incapable of distinguishing a tongue-in-cheek parody from the truth is pretty pathetic.

Tone deaf much?

Really excellent post except for your very last sentence.

Thanks.

I don't think you give big contracts to players that aren't difference makers.

There have been disputes on this board as to the guaranteed money to Levitre. One poster claims he got more than 20 million guaranteed. All I can find is that he got a 10 milion dollar signing bonus.

If all he got was the 10 million bonus and no other guaranteed cash, that was not a bad deal imo. After 2 perhaps 3 years, he could be cut if need be without taking a huge hit. Or, if his play lessens there is a chance to renegotiate as Dallas did with their RT. Otoh, it looks like Byrd will cost a fortune wrt guaranteed money. And with his agent, a holdout is likely.

In summary, we lost our best blocker in order to try to keep a safety, this with a rookie QB who would have had an added advantage with Levite in the lineup.

Tough to figure from where I sit, but great dialogue. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bill from NYC

There have been disputes on this board as to the guaranteed money to Levitre. One poster claims he got more than 20 million guaranteed. All I can find is that he got a 10 milion dollar signing bonus.

If all he got was the 10 million bonus and no other guaranteed cash, that was not a bad deal imo. After 2 perhaps 3 years, he could be cut if need be without taking a huge hit. Or, if his play lessens there is a chance to renegotiate as Dallas did with their RT. Otoh, it looks like Byrd will cost a fortune wrt guaranteed money. And with his agent, a holdout is likely.

In summary, we lost our best blocker in order to try to keep a safety, this with a rookie QB who would have had an added advantage with Levite in the lineup.

Tough to figure from where I sit, but great dialogue. :thumbsup:

Excellent point on Levitre's contract.

I didn't realize that his signing bonus was so low. The term and total value of the contract superficially look similar to the one Carl Nicks signed which was for 5 years and $47.5 million but Nicks' guaranteed money was $31 million. Levitre signed for 6 years and $46.8 million but only $10.5 million guaranteed.

That makes the two deals very different indeed.