When the rediculous English Profs decided RBI's should be R's

Niagara Bill

why did they not change the term "at bats" to "ats bat". I have always hated the fact that baseball people allowed such a change since in todays culture the use of a word or phrase is allowed to change and new words developed and added to the dictionary each year. Culture had created the term RBI's not bad English language. I needed to vent on this, thanks. Can anyone think of any other terms the English police have changed?

First, I think you should vent on anyone that would use an apostrophe in either case.

Why would there need to be an 's' anywhere? 'R' is short for 'Run' or 'Runs'. 'RBI' should suffice for either the singular or plural.

First, I think you should vent on anyone that would use an apostrophe in either case.

Why would there need to be an 's' anywhere? 'R' is short for 'Run' or 'Runs'. 'RBI' should suffice for either the singular or plural.

I agree with the OP who said and I quote that this is:

rediculous

I gotta go with OP on this one. I hate the way the English language has been degraded, but RBIs is just colloquial baseball talk. I cringe when I hear an announcer say "x had 2 hits and 3 RBI". Of course, I feel the same way about WMD when used as plural - yes I know that "weapons" is the word to be pluralized, but it hurts my ears. Either enunciate the words or throw an s on the end.