NFL looks like it's going to move draft to May

bbb

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm awaiting that explanation too.

I'm not seeing any linkage on the face of it.

Clearly if the superbowl is mid to late February you have to push the combine back, messing the whole schedule up. On the brightside, once the expanded schedule lasts to mid march they can just do the superbowl in Boston and ny annually without terrible risk of blizzard.

Edited by NoSaint

Goodell again doesnt rule out 18-game season

Plenty of skeptics believe that the leagues intent to alter its calendar, moving the draft from April to May and the Scouting Combine from February to March, arises not from a desire to expand the leagues footprint during the offseason but to lay the foundation for an expansion of the season.

[The options] are all on the table; Goodell said at a press conference that concluded the quarterly ownership meetings in Boston; As I have said before, I think the structure of the season is something that we consistently reevaluate. I have been quite open about [indicating that] we have to address the quality of the preseason. I hear from fans consistently that they want to make every NFL event more valuable. They see the preseason as being less valuable to them because they dont see the best players and the games do not count. We have to address that, whether we are looking at 18 [regular-season games] and two [preseason games] or 16-and-two and expanded playoffs. They are all on the table and things we are going to evaluate;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/22/goodell-again-doesnt-rule-out-18-game-season/

I like the 16 & 2 with expanded playoffs.

Edited by papazoid

Cutting two games off the preseason -- either by expanding the playoffs or moving to an 18-game schedule -- is still being discussed, commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL's spring owners meetings in Boston.

http://espn.go.com/n...d-roger-goodell

With the NFL and NFLPA having such a contentious relationship these days, I cannot see the players going for the expanded regular season any time soon.

If this came true, then I don't care when they have the draft. And, I don't need 18 regular season games. I just want to pay for less preseason games - that I never even go to. So, 16 + 2 preseason is fine with me. I really don't want expanded playoffs. I don't want to cheapen the regular season.

Why not get rid of 2 of the preseason games and expand the playoffs? Get rid of the bye weeks completely. They make little sense anyway and just provide additional advantages to teams that already had good regular seasons. Do those teams really deserve an extra week to prepare? Have eight teams qualify for the playoffs from each the NFC and AFC and use the current tie breaking system as needed to decide who goes and who doesn't. Seed them like you do in basketball so you know exactly who could play who in each round. No re-seeding BS as they do it now. Done. My feelings would not be hurt.

With the NFL and NFLPA having such a contentious relationship these days, I cannot see the players going for the expanded regular season any time soon.

I totally agree....which is why the added revenue will come from an expanded playoff system. the regular season will stay at 16. the preseason will be reduced from four to two games and the playoffs will be expanded from the current 6 per conference to either 7 or 8.

Why not get rid of 2 of the preseason games and expand the playoffs? Get rid of the bye weeks completely. They make little sense anyway and just provide additional advantages to teams that already had good regular seasons. Do those teams really deserve an extra week to prepare? Have eight teams qualify for the playoffs from each the NFC and AFC and use the current tie breaking system as needed to decide who goes and who doesn't. Seed them like you do in basketball so you know exactly who could play who in each round. No re-seeding BS as they do it now. Done. My feelings would not be hurt.

Because teams charge for those games and are not going to have the revenue just disappear.

Because teams charge for those games and are not going to have the revenue just disappear.

Earnings from preseason games are infinitely tiny. The collective revenue from having two more weeks of playoff games (and the allocation that every team would receive of that revenue) would more than make up for it. Bad answer.

Earnings from preseason games are infinitely tiny. The collective revenue from having two more weeks of playoff games (and the allocation that every team would receive of that revenue) would more than make up for it. Bad answer.

in fact, id venture that even if they strip 2 preseason games (so one home game per team) you wont see season ticket prices move significantly, if at all.

in fact, id venture that even if they strip 2 preseason games (so one home game per team) you wont see season ticket prices move significantly, if at all.

Again, look at revenue sources. Teams get the most money from television advertising and Sunday Ticket (above 60% of total revenue estimated by Forbes). Having extra playoff games means more TV revenue. Selling 5k or even 10k tickets for a preseason game doesn't even scratch the surface of what the NFL would pull in for 2 more weeks of playoff games. Arguing economics here doesn't fly. That's why if you listen to Goodell, you're hearing a consistent theme. They're talking about eliminating 2 preseason games. Of course they would love to add a bunch back in the playoffs. More playoffs = more money for everyone.

Again, look at revenue sources. Teams get the most money from television advertising and Sunday Ticket (above 60% of total revenue estimated by Forbes). Having extra playoff games means more TV revenue. Selling 5k or even 10k tickets for a preseason game doesn't even scratch the surface of what the NFL would pull in for 2 more weeks of playoff games. Arguing economics here doesn't fly. That's why if you listen to Goodell, you're hearing a consistent theme. They're talking about eliminating 2 preseason games. Of course they would love to add a bunch back in the playoffs. More playoffs = more money for everyone.

I agree with you, except that they don't sell 5-10K tickets to a preseason game. All season ticket holders are forced to buy the games at regular season prices.

Odd how its not been an issue in the past but will be for all future April schedules according to his statement today.

The Easter Bunny finally has woken up from its slumber and realized that it is late by couple of weeks every year and wants to make amends moving forward!!!

I was reading this weekend that this year's draft actually was on the first day of May sweeps, so that doesn't seem to be the reason.

I never understood the sweeps anyway. Why do the advertisers set their rates with the sweeps numbers, when that is when the networks put on their best/most watched stuff. Like I remember Barbara Walters interviewing Monica Lewinski and they made sure it was during sweeps. So, why would that set the rate for something later that isn't a bombshell interview?

The league also noted there will be no other changes to the '14 calendar. The pre-draft NFL Scouting Combine will still take place from February 18-25, and the league year, tied to contracts and free agency, will begin on March 11.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-05-28/2014-nfl-draft-may-8-9-10-new-york-league-calendar-scouting-Combine