[OT] Official 24 thread

Just Jack

At least last season, there was an underlying reason why Gael was acting as a mole (Jack had been undercover with the Salazars previously). I don't see anything similar yet....but I'm sure we'll know soon.

Usually, I pick up on these things...I didn't see the Marianne/mole thing coming.  :)

218230[/snapback]

I saw it from day one. Very easy to see IMO. Although I was blindsided by Nina in season 1. The show grows on you I guess. I also love the terrorist family, not for their ideals obviously, but because of the way their characters are portrayed as ruthless, stop at nothing. And the woman Shorah is a damn good actress.

Also, I'm almost sure Chloe was a full-fledged CTU employee? Not a consultant? AD?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the DOD, I found it rather humorous that the contractor required department approval for the release of classified material to CTU. Me and my friend looked at each other right away and said "The Secretary!" because, duh, the Sec of Def is like 10 feet away. Then of course Driscoll noted they could just consult Secretary Heller :) .

Another side note - anyone else find it strange that the man transporting the briefcase had no known identity at all, even to CTU, after checking every database?? Seems fishy, I thought they would bring that up to the contractor CEO. The only thought that comes to mind is he was a covert CIA agent, but he was working for DoD/the contractor. Hmm

I saw it from day one.  Very easy to see IMO.  Although I was blindsided by Nina in season 1.  The show grows on you I guess.  I also love the terrorist family, not for their ideals obviously, but because of the way their characters are portrayed as ruthless, stop at nothing.  And the woman Shorah is a damn good actress.

Also, I'm almost sure Chloe was a full-fledged CTU employee?  Not a consultant?  AD?

218242[/snapback]

I saw the Nina/Yelena/mole thing coming because it was the only way they could surprise you to end the season. The only 3 choices left for 'mole' were her, Mason, and Tony. Tony was the red herring for the entire first half of the season and Mason was just too obvious.

anyone else find it strange that the man transporting the briefcase had no known identity at all, even to CTU, after checking every database?? Seems fishy, I thought they would bring that up to the contractor CEO.  The only thought that comes to mind is he was a covert CIA agent, but he was working for DoD/the contractor.  Hmm

218247[/snapback]

Exactly! There's something extra-governmental going on.

Remember, we never did find out who was behind everything the first season (it wasn't Victor Drabek; he was another pawn -- it was whomever Nina worked for) or who was behind the flesh-eating bacteria that infected Palmer at the of #2 (passed by the same operative who bombed the plane in #1).

Exactly!  There's something extra-governmental going on.

Remember, we never did find out who was behind everything the first season (it wasn't Victor Drabek; he was another pawn -- it was whomever Nina worked for) or who was behind the flesh-eating bacteria that infected Palmer at the of #2 (passed by the same operative who bombed the plane in #1).

218262[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the producers make most of this up as they go along so don't expect any good answers to those questions. Originally, season 2 was supposed to end with Nina with the guy on the boat who ordered the bacteria hit on Palmer but they decided it didn't make enough sense (her getting there so fast after being released). I've read interviews where they're actually proud that they don't know how the season will end when they start filming the first few episodes. Probably explains why the second half of each season is never as good as the first.

I'd feel better if they didn't try to tie this season into the other 3 because it'll be impossible to make it all make sense.

Speaking of the DOD, I found it rather humorous that the contractor required department approval for the release of classified material to CTU.  Me and my friend looked at each other right away and said "The Secretary!" because, duh, the Sec of Def is like 10 feet away.  Then of course Driscoll noted they could just consult Secretary Heller  :) .

Another side note - anyone else find it strange that the man transporting the briefcase had no known identity at all, even to CTU, after checking every database?? Seems fishy, I thought they would bring that up to the contractor CEO.  The only thought that comes to mind is he was a covert CIA agent, but he was working for DoD/the contractor.  Hmm

218247[/snapback]

Believe it or not that kind of crap happens regularly. Government bureaucracy at it's finest. I used to do work regularly in the Federal Building and I have a security clearance far higher than the highest required for the most sensitive areas. They still made me do all of THEIR paper work and forward it on to the Agency that handles security clearances. Yeah, that makes sense.

Believe it or not that kind of crap happens regularly.  Government bureaucracy at it's finest.  I used to do work regularly in the Federal Building and I have a security clearance far higher than the highest required for the most sensitive areas.  They still made me do all of THEIR paper work and forward it on to the Agency that handles security clearances.  Yeah, that makes sense.

218288[/snapback]

Good point.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they said the man didn't have any prints on file.

So it is possible that the guy was just an every-day joe with no criminal or military record and thus would have no prints. He could have been a FedEx guy (probably not...). The only fingerprints they may have on the guy could be corporate ones from the DOD Contractor rather than ones that are on file w/ the govt.

Believe it or not that kind of crap happens regularly.  Government bureaucracy at it's finest.  I used to do work regularly in the Federal Building and I have a security clearance far higher than the highest required for the most sensitive areas.  They still made me do all of THEIR paper work and forward it on to the Agency that handles security clearances.  Yeah, that makes sense.

218288[/snapback]

I understand your point completely, just found it funny that they needed DoD clearance and the Secretary was right there!

I understand your point completely, just found it funny that they needed DoD clearance and the Secretary was right there!

218321[/snapback]

It's a bizarre world if you're outside it. Believe it or not, no one in the government is cleared for everything. They have what is called "compartmentalization", meaning you can know: A, B, G, H, Y, Z but if you know those can't have access to C, D, X, or W. Even the President and Cabinet fall under these rules.

The inter-agency crap is what allows things like 9/11 to happen. Everyone wants credit but no one wants blame.

Good point.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they said the man didn't have any prints on file.

So it is possible that the guy was just an every-day joe with no criminal or military record and thus would have no prints. He could have been a FedEx guy (probably not...). The only fingerprints they may have on the guy could be corporate ones from the DOD Contractor rather than ones that are on file w/ the govt.

218298[/snapback]

If he has a security clearance, he has prints on file. It's more likely he's part of some NSA program that erases him from recorded history. Not that it actually happens. :)

If he has a security clearance, he has prints on file.  It's more likely he's part of some NSA program that erases him from recorded history.  Not that it actually happens.  :w00t:

218326[/snapback]

Of course not ...... only on TV :P

In the show that continues to defy reality - a character is arrested for treason (TREASON) in one season, then returns halfway through the next to rescue the star.  Only on 24....  :)

224703[/snapback]

To be fair, they never said whether Tony was actually prosecuted. He was arrested last season, but it's likely (and probable) that Palmer got the charges dropped before any trial came to be.

In the show that continues to defy reality - a character is arrested for treason (TREASON) in one season, then returns halfway through the next to rescue the star.  Only on 24....  :)

224703[/snapback]

Somewhere I read that Palmer pardoned Tony before his term was up. So he's free, he just can't work for CTU.