FYI: Dansby signs with Cards

Rubes

It is interesting that really the new labor agreement brought this about. I wonder how the over 30s, who are good players but not exactly elite and finding it hard to renegotiate or even find teams when in the past they would have, are feeling about the votes they cast in favor of it now. It seems like they kind of got screwed by it. The average age of the league seems to be dropping (that is just an opinion and if someone knows how to look it up I would be interested to see it).

How did the new CBA reduce interest in vets?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I predicted.

The money gulf was too big. The Bills were hoping for a bargain signing and as we've seen, the new regime are very disciplined with payroll.

We'll see when the contract numbers come out but I doubt the Bills were offering more than $2 million, tops.

The Bills never made a serious attempt to retain Levitre and I think they're gonna play hardball with Byrd.

There was a soundbite within the last few days where Dansby didn't even mention the Bills as a possibility.

He played 6 years in Arizona. It's a homecoming.

There are no state income taxes in Arizona.

It was a pipe dream and I couldn't care less.

The Kiko Alonso era has started in Buffalo.

Forward young soldiers.

Just reading this thread today, and if no one has pointed out, there is state income tax in Arizona. I live here and pay it. You may be thinking Nevada.

Well, it is all about the business. Why shouldn't he acknowledge that? Wasn't he just dumped by the Dolphins?

And by voicing his opinion that (and sticking up for) veterans like himself, Urlacher and others are worth more than they are paid, he's all about money? And by turning down an extra half a mil to go to a place he doesn;t want to be--that's all about the money too? And since his home has been in AZ for many years, why would he sell it? He kept it when he was with the Fins.

By reports, he had over half a dozen teams after him. He took the one that was the best fit for him.

(from ESPN):

"It made a lot of sense," the linebacker said Friday after signing a one-year deal to return to the desert. "My whole team is here, Team Dansby. Everything I need is right here, so it was a no-brainer."

Arizona was where he started his career, where his home and cars are, base camp for his support group, from his nutritionist to personal trainer and the person who helps him stretch.

"It was frustrating with the release and a humbling situation, but I knew God had a plan for me," Dansby said. "To be able to come back this way is unbelievable. When the opportunity presented itself, it was one I had to take."

This makes him a "douche"?

I could quote Hitler and he might not seem like a douche. To have heard him talk, you'd have said he was a douche. To cry that Urlacher, etc are not getting fair money is ridiculous. You're in the Union, deal with it. I wish I had time to look, because I would bet that he went out of his way to say how "the shield" was so bad. Half a dozen teams passed him by, too. Dansby has a lot to offer a team in his play, but this is the new NFL. I remember Gil Brandt a few months back saying the draft is now more important to this league then ever before. That guys with 6 or 7 years experience will no longer be staples of the league. The money is going to be spread out more evenly with only a handful of guys on a team earning top level money. The guys like Brees, Brady, and Peterson will make money. Defenders like Revis, and all of these guys recently signed he said would end up signing contracts that give them a lot of money for the first few years and then get cut when their production drops - and it always will. He is dead right on this. To go on further, it makes sense. He said it makes no sense to have contracts that sign players to 5-6-7 year contracts only to cut them after year 3.

So, why would Dansby want to sign a 5 or 6 year contract with all this big money and be cut after a year or two? At his age he would rather take less money per year to get more overall in multiple years. However, he could not. The players shot themselves in the foot in two ways. First, with the last NFLPA deal they were able to make out like bandits with great contracts, huge rookie deals and overinflated values. The new deal brings them home, cuts money on rookies making it much easier to fill a role with a better valued rookie or vet. The vets now get what they had coming to them, they are finding their real value.

And by turning down an extra half a mil to go to a place he doesn;t want to be--that's all about the money too?

WEO, where does it say that he turned down an extra half mil?

One thing people do not get in this world anymore. A half mil is not much. He'd take a big hit to move and leave AZ to reside in another state. He'd spend a bunch traveling back and forth and at 31 years old I doubt he wants to do that, and rent a place... it's a lot of trouble to go through all of that.

One thing people do not get in this world anymore. A half mil is not much. He'd take a big hit to move and leave AZ to reside in another state. He'd spend a bunch traveling back and forth and at 31 years old I doubt he wants to do that, and rent a place... it's a lot of trouble to go through all of that.

Nevertheless, I'd be curious to know who offered him a half mil more than the Cardinals did.

we have 13 million in cap space not counting rookies and byrd. assuming the rookies cost us about 4-5, we can give byrd the contract that he deserves and be basically at cap.

And possibly take care of Wood's contract. That would mean we would need to deal only with Spiller next season.

I could quote Hitler and he might not seem like a douche. To have heard him talk, you'd have said he was a douche. To cry that Urlacher, etc are not getting fair money is ridiculous. You're in the Union, deal with it. I wish I had time to look, because I would bet that he went out of his way to say how "the shield" was so bad. Half a dozen teams passed him by, too. Dansby has a lot to offer a team in his play, but this is the new NFL. I remember Gil Brandt a few months back saying the draft is now more important to this league then ever before. That guys with 6 or 7 years experience will no longer be staples of the league. The money is going to be spread out more evenly with only a handful of guys on a team earning top level money. The guys like Brees, Brady, and Peterson will make money. Defenders like Revis, and all of these guys recently signed he said would end up signing contracts that give them a lot of money for the first few years and then get cut when their production drops - and it always will. He is dead right on this. To go on further, it makes sense. He said it makes no sense to have contracts that sign players to 5-6-7 year contracts only to cut them after year 3.

So, why would Dansby want to sign a 5 or 6 year contract with all this big money and be cut after a year or two? At his age he would rather take less money per year to get more overall in multiple years. However, he could not. The players shot themselves in the foot in two ways. First, with the last NFLPA deal they were able to make out like bandits with great contracts, huge rookie deals and overinflated values. The new deal brings them home, cuts money on rookies making it much easier to fill a role with a better valued rookie or vet. The vets now get what they had coming to them, they are finding their real value.

You left out that he made the trains run on time.

Ridiculous hyperbole aside, so he's a vet who thinks some vets aren't getting what they are worth and says so. You can't name a single vet who would disagree with this opinion, other than the handful of guys who are getting the highest contracts.

And Gil Brandt has finally figured out that NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed and that players sign "long term" contracts and still get cut before the end o the contract--because they are no longer productive? Wow! The Sage of the NFL! And it's all because of that new CBA!

Veteran players are still getting ridiculous contracts (see Assymougha, Revis, Mario.....), even coming off injuries.

And by turning down an extra half a mil to go to a place he doesn;t want to be--that's all about the money too?

WEO, where does it say that he turned down an extra half mil?

It said so in jboys post.

Buddy said, in a sound clip, that it went "very bad," with Dansby. I got the feeling that he wanted a lot more money than they were offering.

The guy clearly thinks very highly of himself and what he should be making from statements he has made in the past. As much as I would love to have his talent on the team, I wouldnt want a guy who didnt want to be in Buffalo. He didnt really seem like the type that would embrace his role here. He probably could have gotten a 3-4 year contract here. Instead he signed a 1 year contract in AZ. He doesnt care. At this point hes a mercenary in it for the biggest paycheck.

You left out that he made the trains run on time.

Ridiculous hyperbole aside, so he's a vet who thinks some vets aren't getting what they are worth and says so. You can't name a single vet who would disagree with this opinion, other than the handful of guys who are getting the highest contracts.

And Gil Brandt has finally figured out that NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed and that players sign "long term" contracts and still get cut before the end o the contract--because they are no longer productive? Wow! The Sage of the NFL! And it's all because of that new CBA!

Veteran players are still getting ridiculous contracts (see Assymougha, Revis, Mario.....), even coming off injuries.

It said so in jboys post.

I like to draw things back to Hitler for no reason. It is funny.

Either way, the guy should get paid his fair market value. He just got paid and that's what he should be worried about. No need to worry about Urlacher, Revis, anyone else but his own self. That's what a man does. A brat looks at someone else and gets upset.