Getting ready for this hurricane

stevestojan

I feel like when you are packing for a trip, and there's always something you forget... well, I have fresh water, some canned food and a can opener (things i can eat cold, jsut in case), toilet paper, paper towels, a flashlight and batteries. Can you guys think of anything else i would need.

And thanks for those concerned about my dog. I do indeed have a sedetive for her! (my vet recommended this stuf call "rescue remedy" - it can be used for humans who have stress, etc, but has shown to work in animals as well if not better).

Get a big cooler and put it on standby. Being a young single guy, I know your freezer isn't too full, so load it up with bags of ice and hamburger meat, steak, chicken, etc. When you lose power, leave the the freezer closed for the first hour or so. Then put your deli meats, hamburger, steak, cheese, etc out of you fridge and put soda and/or beer with the ice in the cooler, and put your food and condiments on top of it.

Get some charcoal or make sure you have LP if you have a gas grill. Make sure you have at least two pots (sauce pans at least). Mmmm, beans and franks done on the grill...

They WILL tell you not to drink city water. Fill up your bath tub with water. You can then boil it on your grill to ensure you have clean drinking water.

Tape your north, west, and south windows in an asterick pattern to help prevent large pieces of glass from killing you because your idiot neighbor leaves a hanging plant on their patio and the damn thing crashes into your window.

And remember to get the battery powered radio that someone else mentioned! Before Isabel, I picked up a small portable TV and some rechargable batteries. I already had a DC-to-AC converter for my laptop, so I ran out to the Jeep to charge the batteries up. Being able to watch the local news was very helpful (and calming).

If I can think of anything else, I'll post it.

Here is the drill.

1. Get cash from ATM since they won't work

2. Fill car/ cars with gas fill a couple of extra cans if available.

3. Fill bathtub with water . Can be used to flush , or cook with if the water supply gets contaminated.

4. Turn freezer and fridge up to max and do not open very often if you loose power.

5. Tape windows to stop flying glass,

6. Plenty of Batts for lighting. Remember no air it gets hot in Fl and even hotter if you are using candles/ lanterns.

7. Battery operated or Crank radio .

8. Plenty of beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Charcoal if you have a grill, propane if it is gas.

Good Luck.

If you need batteries, think outside of the box.

Everyone and their brother has hit Lowes, Home Depot, K-Mart, WalMart and Target by now. Try Dollar General or even better, a toy store (KB, Toys 'R Us, et al). I scored a bunch of batteries from KB right before Isabel after trying all of the places I mentioned above.

While we're on batteries, get another cell phone battery, and charge both before the storm hits. While your carrier's network will certainly have some damage, in all likelihood it will be up before landline service, and that extra battery can go along way. But remember, if there's no network available, turn your phone off. They use more energy as they cycle trying to find a signal than they do in normal "standby mode." Turn your phone on briefly every few hours to check for signal if your local tower goes offline.

Make sure you have a lighter or matches handy...

a couple of Snickers for treats or bribes to people for stuff...

During the whole Y2k thing, I had bottled water, some money,can goods, water in jugs for cooking and a full propane tank for the grill..make sure the radio has fresh batteries and have a plan in case the hurricane shifts directly at you....where will you go? where is the nearest shelter? make sure you tape the windows and use common sense....

stay safe and keep the dog sedated.....

some beer and cigars would be nice in case your without for awhile...

if you have empty 2 liters of pop, fill them up (90% full) with water...they will freeze fast and can last a long time if needed

again, good luck and stay safe.....

PS, you have insurance right??????? just in case you loose everything....if you don't get it after this storm passes...protect your belongings....

1. Batteries. Lotsa batteries.

2. A mag lite. See also batteries

3. Electric lamps, powered by, yep batteries

4. An old school non portable wired phone. portable phones are useless without electricity and cell towers may go out. plug up a $5 wal mart phone, you'd be surprised how well POTS handles in a hurricane

5. Touch lamps. They throw a surprising amount of light

6. A radio for 2 reasons. Hurricane updates of course, and something to listen to when the power goes out for a couple days because you will be BORED

7. Books, a gameboy (will eat precious batteries), board games, or something to pass the time without power

8. Drinking water. Fill up anything you can. Pitchers, jugs, jars, pots and pans. If you go to work and they have a water cooler, borrow an empty bottle or 2 and fill that up.

9. Flushing water. Fill up your bathtub and bathroom sink in case you lose running water you need something to flush with

10. Clean clothes in case you can't shower for a day or 2

11. Food that doesn't require refrigeration, heat to cook, or water to prepare. Cereal, candy, chips, fruit, etc. i ate alot of canned tuna

12. A full tank of gas. After the hurricane it may be difficult to find a station with electricty to power the pumps

13. A case or 2 of your favorite carbonated beverage and/or a bottle or 2 of your favorite spirits. Keep it cool by storing in your bathtub (you did fill it with water, right?)

14. An attractive young lady to help pass the time :blink:

15. Plastic cutlary. Kinda hard to do dishes without power and possibly without fresh water

16. A digital camera to take hurricane pictures with. I sent pics of Isabelle to my parents and they told me relatives they hadn't heard from for years were calling them asking for copies

Don't forget that they say you should have at least 1 gallon of beer for every day that you expect to be without water if it hits our area.

I tend to think that this is woefully inadequate, so I have hoarded 3 gallons per day assuming 10 days of no water. :blink:

Seriously though have you made any plans to leave the area yet? I'm going to the Keys with my brother if this is coming our way. If I have to vacate my household I figure I'll have a good time doing it. Don't take this storm lightly, if it does hit our area we are in deep stevestojan (no pun intended). Find a safe place to bunker down and don't rely on any shelters (most will not allow dogs). DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU WILL DO IF IT DOES HIT OUR AREA!!!

Be safe and not stupid, GOOD LUCK!

If you have a pool, throw your lawn furniture in it. It will keep it from blowing into the next county. The pool water can also be used to fill your toilet tank.

Get any of your lawn gnomes or pink flamingos out of the lawn and into your garage.

Do all of your laundry before it comes.

Most of all, be safe. I lived in Sarasota for about 5 years and had a few scares but no hits. Never would have thought that a hurricane could be as severe as Charley.

If it stays a 4 or 5, I would make sure that you get to a shelter or a VERY Solid building to stay in.

Better to be alive and thought of as a Wuss, than to be dead and brave.

Important papers...Social Security card and birth certificate especially. Put them in something waterproof (double zip-lock bag), and know where they are. Probably superfluous advice...but if the storm takes the house, you'll be awfully relieved to have them handy.

Rain gear would probably be helpful, too. Just in case the windows go.

Realistically, though...you should get the hell outta Dodge, especially if you're near the coast. At least think very thoroughly what you plan on doing if the stevestojan hits the fan...