Good EJ article

Partially why I don't get the knocks on Manuel from the national pundits...they were lambasting him for not being able to do things that he specifically was coached not to do...the Bills asked Manuel about it and he told them as much, so they went to the FSU coaches who told them the same thing. Then they sat down with Manuel to get an idea of his grasp of concepts with the offense he was running, football IQ type concepts and gave him some of the offense they planned on running and asked him about it. He was able to break down everything and knew exactly what was going on, why things were done certain way, etc...he is a self proclaimed film junkie and has a tremendous work ethic. He is also pretty smart, as a 2 time All-ACC Academic All American.

QBs with tremendous physical gifts, who work hard on and off the field and in the fim room, and who are very intelligent almost always succeed. In most cases the film work and the mental part of the game is what holds the QBs with tremendous physical atributes back. Wouldn't be surprised to see Manuel turn into a stud after a few years...

This guy from the bleacher report called it back in September...EJ first qb to be selected. To me, the mocks and projections during the actual season strike gold more than the over-thought, media-poisoned ones in March and April.

Link not accepted, so I am pasting the content here:

Just shy of a month into the college football season, and less than a quarter of the way into the NFL grind, and it it is already time to start talking about the 2013 draft.

The NFL Draft has become the highlight of at least half of the league's fan bases (those who miss the playoffs) due to constant coverage on it from the NFL Network, ESPN and a myriad of other media outlets.

College fans also follow the draft with religious devotion, anxiously anticipating where the players they have watched grow up through their favorite program may or may not be drafted.

This year will be no different.

As we have seen in recent years, the quarterback is the ultimate prize for teams in April. Since Peyton Manning was drafted No. 1 overall in 1998, only three non-quarterbacks have been the first name off of the board.

This year, like in years past, many teams have issues with the most important position on the field. These teams will do whatever they can to get who they think is the best available signal caller.

That man may just be the leader of the Florida State Seminoles, E.J. Manuel.

It may seem crazy that player who has peen plagued by both injuries and inconsistency would even be considered for such a franchise-altering selection. However, when you look a little closer, this prediction becomes glaringly obvious.

During the Seminoles 49-37 victory, Manuel showed off his talent through the air and on the ground, racking up 380 yards passing and another 100-plus on the ground. If the last two drafts have proven anything, it is that the dual-threat college quarterback is becoming more of a presence in the NFL.

The Washington Redskins gave up a cornucopia of draft picks last year to move up two selections to ensure the chance to get Baylor's Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III at No. 2 overall. The prior year the Carolina Panthers got a Heisman winner of their own as they selected Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

Like those two men, Manuel came into his final college season as a dark horse for both the Heisman and the chance to be a high draft pick. Both men began to progress and take advantage of the big stage as the season progressed. Manuel has done just that so far and has shown the same kind of skills that the Panthers and Redskins coveted.

Should Manuel continue to impress and win a Heisman, the 6'5", 240-pound fifth-year senior will undoubtedly skyrocket up draft boards.

While Manuel looks to move up, his competition seems to be moving down.

Matt Barkley looked pedestrian at best in USC's loss to Stanford, losing to the same defense that Washington's Keith Price was able to beat. The pressure Barkley put on himself coming into this year seems to be taking him over. For a guy who throws to maybe the two best receivers in America in Marquise Lee and Robert Woods, he should be doing more.

Tyler Wilson has been hurt and has shown that he lacks maturity and leadership, calling out his team in the media for getting smacked around by Alabama while he watched from the sidelines. He returned the following week and threw two interceptions in Arkansas' lose to Rutgers.

Tyler Bray of Tennessee is still only a Junior and looked average against Florida. There are several question marks surrounding his legitimacy as a prospect, including his footwork, which seems very slow. Working almost exclusively out of the shotgun, Bray may have trouble adjusting to NFL offenses.

Geno Smith, like Bray, works primarily out of the shotgun in West Virginia's high-powered offense. Although he puts up video game numbers week after week, Smith lacks the accuracy needed for the pro game and forces throws at times, bringing his decision making into question.

Should he continue to progress, all signs point to Manuel taking over as the consensus No. 1 quarterback prospect. Other than some quarterback-needy teams getting off to hot starts, the only thing which may prevent Manuel from being taken No. 1 overall may be himself.

Edited by UncleMonkeyHead

Everyone says we reached for EJ because many of the bigger name draft gurus rated him lower.

However, we don't know where the rest of the NFL rated EJ. I suspect he was higher on most franchise's boards than he was on Kiper's. I doubt if Chip Kelly and the Eagles, for instance, thought we reached. NFL teams watch far more game tape and do far more due diligence than Kiper or any other hobbyist.

What I read before the draft was the EJ was a good kid, very athletic, but inaccurate. That scared me off because you can't coach accuracy. But there's a lot of data out there painting a different picture of his accuracy. Now I'm excited about the pick.