Bills-Rams trade and the Draft Trade Value Chart

i disagree. one good explanation for Pats not getting over the hump in last 8 years or so, may be lack of top talent. this trading down gets them more picks, not better ones.

i LOVE that they aren't picking until 51... the odds of that player being a difference maker drop, and the Pats have been no better at getting good players than anyone else. tons of busts or also-rans. they win cuz of Bel and Brady.. drafting has been thoroughly average, and think their strategy is unsound.

My only point was we are giving Hoodie 4 chances to pick a good player rather than just one pick....

Dolphins get #3. Raiders get #12 *. Dolphins win 2200 pts. to 1680 pts.

Rams get #8 & #71. Bills get #16, #46, #78 & #222. Bills win 1642.6 pts. to 1635 pts.

49ers get #18. Cowboys get #31 & #74. 49ers win 900 pts. to 820 pts.

Falcons get #22 & a 7th round pick in 2015. Rams get #30, #92 & #198. Falcons win 780.5 pts. to 764.2 pts.

Vikings get #29. Patriots get #52, #83, #102 & #229. Patriots win 648 pts. to 640 pts.

From a point perspective: The Dolphins fleeced the Raiders in their trade up. The 49ers got a great deal in their move up, the Cowboys should've gotten an additional 4th round pick in that move down. All the rest were very even trades, with the Bills and Pats being the only two teams that moved down that got full value for their pick.

Pat Kerwin talked about this on his show yesterday. He did the same thing as the above posters, looked at last year's trades and added up the points per the chart. They matched up pretty closely. So even though the chart is old (putatively started by porkface Jimmy Johnson), it is still being used as a basis to value trades.

Now that trade by the Patriots look like they Flinched the Vikings really badly for a "project" at WR!!!!

You think Patterson is a project, wait till you see what Belichick gets late in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round. I think it was stupid for NE.

The Bills traded 8 (1400 points) and 71 (235 points) and received 16 (1000 points), 46 (440 points), 78 (200 points), and 222 (3 points).

The math:

The Bills traded away 1635 points and received 1643 points for a net +8 points.

A pretty much "by the books" trade.

However, the draft only lists straight value. It doesn't consider pluses and minuses of particular drafts. For example, this draft wasn't very top heavy, and the 2nd round is said to be one of the deepest in years. So add that to the mix and that extra 2nd is great.

Dolphins get #3. Raiders get #12 *. Dolphins win 2200 pts. to 1680 pts.

Rams get #8 & #71. Bills get #16, #46, #78 & #222. Bills win 1642.6 pts. to 1635 pts.

49ers get #18. Cowboys get #31 & #74. 49ers win 900 pts. to 820 pts.

Falcons get #22 & a 7th round pick in 2015. Rams get #30, #92 & #198. Falcons win 780.5 pts. to 764.2 pts.

Vikings get #29. Patriots get #52, #83, #102 & #229. Patriots win 648 pts. to 640 pts.

From a point perspective: The Dolphins fleeced the Raiders in their trade up. The 49ers got a great deal in their move up, the Cowboys should've gotten an additional 4th round pick in that move down. All the rest were very even trades, with the Bills and Pats being the only two teams that moved down that got full value for their pick.

Thanks.

They said last night that the Raiders gave up a lot to move. I just hope Jordan is a bust.

I'm definitely puzzled by the Raiders 1st round. They gave up a lot to move, and then took a player that could possibly die if he gets hit too hard...

However, the draft only lists straight value. It doesn't consider pluses and minuses of particular drafts. For example, this draft wasn't very top heavy, and the 2nd round is said to be one of the deepest in years. So add that to the mix and that extra 2nd is great.

The pats* dont get an "extra" second round pick. They gained an extra 3rd, 4th, and 7th to move down from 29 to 52. The additional second rounder is really just their first rounder than they didn't use.