Revis trade forces Bills' hand?

Yea sure. Give them a top notch safety that will be ball hawking our piss poor QB twice a year. Problem made worse

OK then, put it this way...Byrd hasn't been in to learn the complex defense Pettine is putting in. He is already behind (to a small extent). He finishes this year with an impressive 5 interceptions and 30 tackles, 4 forced fumbles...he demands a kick ass salary. We laugh at his demand, we choose not to franchise him, and he gets an offer from the Dolphins, Pats or Jets. Bye Bye Byrdie. We have lint in our pocket. Now he is ball hawking our QB and we have nothing to show for it. Weirder things have happened.

With the Revis trade, the Jets pick up another first rounder. Now, the Jets will have 3 picks between Buffalo's first round pick and its second.

Does this force the Bills to take a QB in the first round?

Discuss.

No.

It only forces the Bills' hand if they are targeting the same players, there is no way to know if that is the case. All this rampant speculation about being lucky enough to grab this or that project QB is just that - speculation.

Most savvy scouts have the most talented QB's (from their tools and potential ceiling) as being the ones that are the most raw in this draft (Bray, Dysert, and Matt Scott are often mentioned). There are certainly more NFL-ready QBs, but after being in decent college systems surrounded by quality offensive weapons, scouts and draftniks get an good idea where their ceiling is - it is never an exact science, but more often than not it is close.

I don't think the Bills panic, I believe that the QB they are targeting they feel is a good year or two away from starting hence the Kolb insurance policy.

I never understand trading a proven player for a chance at a bust.

...as opposed to watching a proven player leave for greener pastures and getting nothing in return?

It's a tough call and one that the FO is well equipped to handle if they have an idea where Byrd's head is (does he want to play in Buffalo? Is he upset with the franchise tag? What is a top 5 safety worth in cap dollars? Other than his production in 2009, have his other three years mandated highest safety money in the NFL).

If we don't take a QB at #8 we will lose both of the guys Nix feels are franchise guys. QB's are climbiing the charts quickly esp. Barkely and moreso Nassib

QB fever. The epidemic hits every spring. Symptoms include the belief that there are 6 or more franchise-caliber QBs in a draft, and the onset of amnesia of prior years drafts.

PTR

Please stop with the Trade Byrd nonsense. We have the money to keep him and keep him long term. You'd have a better chance of convince me we are trading him to the 49's for the 31 and 34th pick and we can then trade down from 8 with the vikings and pick up 2 more picks in the first 35. giving us

23/25/31/34 and our own number 41......

Just a heads up, it took me 2 seconds to come up with a better idea than trading our best play maker on D to a team NOT in our division and to trade him, imo the right way, to a team that can compete, which is the right thing to do and what good players deserve, rather than having him jump to another piss poor team that is throwing away this season and then will most likely have to rebuild with new coaches....which leads me too>>>>

I would bet anything that Byrd would sign if we told him he'd be sent to the jets that don't have the money to offer him more than what we would give him this year and again he could be stuck on a losing team.

I just don't get why I see so many people saying that the Jets trade now forces the Bills to go QB at #8. I just do not see how the Jets will pick a QB at either 9 or 13, it just makes no sense. Maybe in the 2nd, but I can not see any scenario where they do it in the first unless Geno Smith is there and I do not think Geno Smith will even get to us (and if he does, we would take him likely anyway).

1. Jets already invested a TON of money into Sanchez and his extension.

2. QB is already crowded and controversial with Sanchez and Tebow.

3. No QB in this class is a "must" draft.

4. Jets have major holes at DB, OL, TE, WR, and pass rush. Not to mention they could use a RB.

5. There is going to major talent on the OL at 9 and 13 when they pick. I can not see how they would pass up Warmack for instance when they really need a guard to take a gamble on a QB.

6. Milliner would be 100% the pick at 9 if he was still there. If not there are 2 other corners I can see them grabbing at 13.

7. Rex wants to get back to tough D and smash mouth football, and he knows he can win that way already with Sanchez as they went to two AFC championship games. This will also be the quickest road to success other than taking a QB high and having to groom him with all these other holes still, especially a QB with lots of question marks.

I just don't see any scenario (except maybe Geno) where the Jets go QB in the first round. They are going to almost certainly take a guy like Warmack/Cooper or the best OT on their board at one of those picks and then take either one of these stud DL guys or top corner on the board. Then in the 2nd, they could grab a QB, but I still think they look to add more playmakers on D or continue to fill the OL or look to grab one of the top RB's there which is about where they should come off the board.

So, I don't see the Jets as any reason to force Buffalo's hand at 8. We may very well go QB at 8, but if we do, I firmly believe its only because that's what we wanted not because of this trade.

Please stop with the Trade Byrd nonsense. We have the money to keep him and keep him long term. You'd have a better chance of convince me we are trading him to the 49's for the 31 and 34th pick and we can then trade down from 8 with the vikings and pick up 2 more picks in the first 35. giving us

23/25/31/34 and our own number 41......

Just a heads up, it took me 2 seconds to come up with a better idea than trading our best play maker on D to a team NOT in our division and to trade him, imo the right way, to a team that can compete, which is the right thing to do and what good players deserve, rather than having him jump to another piss poor team that is throwing away this season and then will most likely have to rebuild with new coaches....which leads me too>>>>

I would bet anything that Byrd would sign if we told him he'd be sent to the jets that don't have the money to offer him more than what we would give him this year and again he could be stuck on a losing team.

As much as I'd hate to lose Byrd... I'd be ok with this happening, considering that we have about eleven billion holes on the team.

That being said, we haven't exactly drafted strong in recent years, so I'm not sure if having more picks will make a difference. Oh, how wonderful it is to have an inept front office.

No way should we trade Byrd. Just sign the guy to a long term deal. He wants to be here, give him what he is worth, we have cap room. He is widely considered the best FS in football and only getting better and is young. You don't build winning teams getting rid of top of the tier talent for unproven rookies. Just as the Steelers (Troy), Balt (Reed), even Indy (Sanders) how important elite safeties were to their SB wins. All of those defenses were drastically different when those guys got hurt vs being on the field. When you have a good D, safety is what will take it over the top, especially in a system like we are going to run now. Not to mention, we play the Pats twice a year and the Dolphins just added a TON of WR playmakers too to go with their young strong armed QB.

DO NOT TRADE BYRD!!!!!!!!

OK then, put it this way...Byrd hasn't been in to learn the complex defense Pettine is putting in. He is already behind (to a small extent). He finishes this year with an impressive 5 interceptions and 30 tackles, 4 forced fumbles...he demands a kick ass salary. We laugh at his demand, we choose not to franchise him, and he gets an offer from the Dolphins, Pats or Jets.

Bye Bye Byrdie. We have lint in our pocket. Now he is ball hawking our QB and we have nothing to show for it. Weirder things have happened.

Bye Bye Byrdie?

Ball hawking?

Good stuff (although I would have replaced "lint in pocket" with "empty nest of feathers.")

:nana: