Looks like I need to Evacuate... tommorrow by 2

stevestojan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I think frozen orange juice futures are overbought. This thing is a category 5. Anything that bad HAS to go to Cape Hatteras, right?

I live pretty far out west and my windows all face west. I'm goint to ride it out.

Current path projects have it going towards Port St. Lucie.

well no... of course not. And im not trying to be a jackass about it. The issue is, it could still turn. But, I will be going to my friends apt friday after work (if i come to work, which i doubt) who lives several miles inland. Really the best I can do.  My house, as i mentioned, is rented, so since the landlord decided not to provide us with storm shutters, and we have 13 windows in the house, I guess he's !@#$ed if something happens.

(yeah, we have 13 windows... one in each bathroom) whoever built my house was a fuggin jackass.

14933[/snapback]

Yes, he's really screwed if you die. I got sued by a ghost just last year. :blink:

Yes, he's really screwed if you die.  I got sued by a ghost just last year. :blink:

14960[/snapback]

what i meant was that if i leave and go to a buddies house I am not first going to board up a house in which the landlord did not provide storm shutters

I see, but I hope you are sensing a trend among the respondents to this post... :P

14971[/snapback]

You referring to the utter sarcasm, the non-caring about my life, or the idea of me getting the hell outta here? Its a three way tie right now...

:blink:

You referring to the utter sarcasm, the non-caring about my life, or the idea of me getting the hell outta here? Its a three way tie right now...

:P

14974[/snapback]

I see the indecision.

I'm in the get-outta-Dodge camp. What would this board be like if we couldn't talk a little stevestojan now and again? Some of us may consider you a blowhard but none of us consider you a 140 M.P.H. blowhard. :blink:

14974[/snapback]

I have been through a few canes' in my day Steve and all I can tell you is leave, not so much because its dangerous but because it sucks, if the storm hits there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Expect to be without power from anywhere between 5-10 days. There will be nothing open; no gas stations, grocery stores, restaraunts, bars etc. There will be rotting food in your streets from everyone tossing all the food from their fridge in the street, seriously its disgusting. I'd stay away up until you can make contact with someone who stayed behind before even trying to return; if something has happened to your place there will be nothing you can do about for at least two weeksanyway. Trust me on this one if you stay and the storm hits it will be the most misserable expierence of your life.

Are hurricane parties a thing of the past? What the hell happened since I left FL?

Anything Cat 4 and below is party waiting to happen. Find a storage shelter, rent out a garage and have a blast!

Since I have't looked...if it's a Cat 5, forget everything I just said and RUUUUUN!

Steve, if you don't make it, I have dibs on your TV. Thanks. Good Luck!

15048[/snapback]

I have a 36" regular tube, and a 20" flat tube (not flat panel, its a regular TV, but the glass in front is flat, for a much clearer picture)... you're welcome to either one.

Only if i die... of course.

You've mentioned that you will be transporting your pooch.  Be sure you have a stable bowl for water as you travel. Traveling pets are nervous pets, and they transpire a lot of water, so you gotta have a ready source of fluid replenishment for them.

Get some ready-made treats, too.

A gallon milk or water jug with the top cut off works well.

14870[/snapback]

So do sedatives. Might want to talk to the vet about something for the pooch for the trip.

14974[/snapback]

Steve, I just read the latest NHC discussions. The high points are: the current barometric pressure in the eye is 938mb, which is seriously low (of named hurricanes, only Hugo, Andrew and Camille were stronger). And it's forming a double eyewall, which in technical terms is referred to as "a very bad thing" (Andrew did that just before it got REALLY bad, I think. It means the winds are going to get quite a bit stronger still).

Bottom line is: this storm is going to kill people (it's unavoidable. There's always at least one idiot who wants to watch the surf, at the very least). Don't be one of them.

And even though the computer models say it's heading almost directly NNW for the next 48 hours...the forecasters themselves don't seem to trust the computer models; their gut's telling them it's moving further to the north of its otherwise predicted path in the next 12 hours. I don't know precisely where in Florida you are, but keep that in mind.

Steve, I just read the latest NHC discussions.  The high points are: the current barometric pressure in the eye is 938mb, which is seriously low (of named hurricanes, only Hugo, Andrew and Camille were stronger).  And it's forming a double eyewall, which in technical terms is referred to as "a very bad thing" (Andrew did that just before it got REALLY bad, I think.  It means the winds are going to get quite a bit stronger still).

Bottom line is: this storm is going to kill people (it's unavoidable.  There's always at least one idiot who wants to watch the surf, at the very least).  Don't be one of them. 

And even though the computer models say it's heading almost directly NNW for the next 48 hours...the forecasters themselves don't seem to trust the computer models; their gut's telling them it's moving further to the north of its otherwise predicted path in the next 12 hours.  I don't know precisely where in Florida you are, but keep that in mind.

15062[/snapback]

the farther north it goes, the better. thanks.. i just put down some of the shutters on my house (i didnt realize it, but the east side windows had them - obviously). Other houses around me have all four sides, but one side is better than nothing.

I just went to the grocery store. MOBBED. No water left. So, i went to the isle with the generic juices. Bought 6 1-gallon jugs of "Orange Drink".. the casier actually said to me "you waited in this line for just this"... i then had to explain to her that i was going to empty the $.99 worth of Orange Drink, and fill them with water... she thought i was god-damn albert einstein... The woman behind me goes "thats a great idea, where did you get those?" ... people in florida are so dumb it hurts sometimes.