FA WR with low drop %

hooper

Great read about WR who drop the ball on catch able passes, one of those stats that are worth a look when evaluating free agents.... Danny Amendola really stands out here, don't know how if he would fit with the new OC wanting to have Stevie in the slot more, but the guy has great hands.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

I'd like to hear their definition of "catchable" before taking this too seriously.

They defined it in the article. Catchable = # of receptions + # drops

So, you ask, what defines a drop? Drops are actually an NFL stat: "Drops are defined as passes that should have been caught with ordinary effort. The Stats & Info staff charts each game twice with multiple people in an effort to enforce a uniform standard." Well, that cleared that up - not. Anyone know more?

Edited by Hopeful

I'd say no. His injury past is a major concern and I thought Stevie was taking over slot duties. We all know what type of receiver we need and Amendola is clearly not him.

Wait, we go nuts because the Bills don't give a 2nd round tender to a guy returning from an ACL, but a guy who was out 3 weeks with a dislocated clavicle is a "major concern"?

If we could get Amendola, we'd have something. Guy is tough as nails, good kickoff returner. He seems to regularly adjust and dive and make catches happen.

As far as the slot is concerned, Nix has stated his bit but where does Marrone want Stevie? And what does Stevie want? Slot guys take a lot of punishment. Would he hold up? I'd be chill with leave Stevie outside, put Amendola in the slot.

On the other hand, I expect he wants mucho dinero. Rams haven't resigned him for a reason - and it isn't because they don't want him, they just don't want to pay him $10 million

Wait, we go nuts because the Bills don't give a 2nd round tender to a guy returning from an ACL, but a guy who was out 3 weeks with a dislocated clavicle is a "major concern"?

He's started 16 games once in his career. In 2011 he suffered a season ending injury in the opener and missed the last 15. In 2012 he started 11 games and missed 5 due to injury. That's 12 of his last 32 games that he's been able to suit up for. Combine this with the fact that he's 5'11", 185 lbs. Oh, and last year's injury almost killed him. So yes, I think it's perfectly fair to call him a major injury concern.

Rams haven't resigned him for a reason - and it isn't because they don't want him, they just don't want to pay him $10 million

I think paying 10 million for an undersized, injury prone slot receiver with a career 8 yards per catch, 7 touchdowns and 4 fumbles would rewrite the book on crazy.

Teams go 4-wide all the time.

You need two slot receivers probably at least 15-20 plays each game, unless you have a really good receiving tight end.

Or a extremely good RB who can line up at the Slot. I hope this coaching staff will put Spiller and Jackson on the field at the same time.

I think paying 10 million for an undersized, injury prone slot receiver with a career 8 yards per catch, 7 touchdowns and 4 fumbles would rewrite the book on crazy.

Nelson was a better WR.