Why does everyone think Matt Ryan is a top 6 QB?

FireChan

P. Manning?

Peyton is far more dependable in the regular season than the post season...(See all of his late game blunders to lose playoff games, and even a SB)...I would land him in that 7-10 Crap Shoot though... Year Team Games Wins Passing Rushing Passer Rating Comp Att Pct Yds YPA TD Int Att Yds Avg TD 1999 IND 1 0 19 42 45.2 227 5.4 0 0 2 22 11 1 62.3 2000 IND 1 0 17 32 53.1 194 6.1 1 0 1 −2 −2 0 82.0 2002 IND 1 0 14 31 45.2 137 4.4 0 2 1 2 2 0 31.2 2003 IND 3 2 67 103 65.0 918 8.9 9 4 4 3 0.8 0 106.4 2004 IND 2 1 54 75 72.0 696 9.3 4 2 2 7 3.5 1 107.4 2005 IND 1 0 22 38 57.9 290 7.6 1 0 0 0 0 0 90.9 2006 IND 4 4 97 153 63.4 1,034 6.8 3 7 8 3 0.4 1 70.5 2007 IND 1 0 33 48 68.7 402 8.4 3 2 1 −6 −6 0 97.7 2008 IND 1 0 25 42 59.5 310 7.4 1 0 1 −1 −1 0 90.4 2009 IND 3 2 87 128 68.0 956 7.5 6 2 3 −2 −0.6 0 99.0 2010 IND 1 0 18 26 69.2 225 8.7 1 0 0 0 0.0 0 108.7 2012 DEN 1 0 28 43 65.1 290 6.7 3 2 1 −1 −1 0 88.3 Career 20 9 746 496 61.0 5,679 7.3 32 21 24 25 0.6 3 86.2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton is far more dependable in the regular season than the post season...(See all of his late game blunders to lose playoff games, and even a SB)...I would land him in that 7-10 Crap Shoot

On this I will have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Dibs

Peyton is far more dependable in the regular season than the post season...(See all of his late game blunders to lose playoff games, and even a SB)...I would land him in that 7-10 Crap Shoot though... Year Team Games Wins Passing Rushing Passer Rating Comp Att Pct Yds YPA TD Int Att Yds Avg TD 1999 IND 1 0 19 42 45.2 227 5.4 0 0 2 22 11 1 62.3 2000 IND 1 0 17 32 53.1 194 6.1 1 0 1 −2 −2 0 82.0 2002 IND 1 0 14 31 45.2 137 4.4 0 2 1 2 2 0 31.2 2003 IND 3 2 67 103 65.0 918 8.9 9 4 4 3 0.8 0 106.4 2004 IND 2 1 54 75 72.0 696 9.3 4 2 2 7 3.5 1 107.4 2005 IND 1 0 22 38 57.9 290 7.6 1 0 0 0 0 0 90.9 2006 IND 4 4 97 153 63.4 1,034 6.8 3 7 8 3 0.4 1 70.5 2007 IND 1 0 33 48 68.7 402 8.4 3 2 1 −6 −6 0 97.7 2008 IND 1 0 25 42 59.5 310 7.4 1 0 1 −1 −1 0 90.4 2009 IND 3 2 87 128 68.0 956 7.5 6 2 3 −2 −0.6 0 99.0 2010 IND 1 0 18 26 69.2 225 8.7 1 0 0 0 0.0 0 108.7 2012 DEN 1 0 28 43 65.1 290 6.7 3 2 1 −1 −1 0 88.3 Career 20 9 746 496 61.0 5,679 7.3 32 21 24 25 0.6 3 86.2

Someday you will be able to post tables here. Until then... MY EYES.

there is so much more that goes into playing QB- I will say it's hard to beat Ryan's weapons to throw to

Post #16.

Yes. Arguably Ryan has the best receiving weapons in all of football.

You have to think that having Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony Gonzales to throw to would significantly boost the passing stats of most QBs.

Post #16.

Yes. Arguably Ryan has the best receiving weapons in all of football.

You have to think that having Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony Gonzales to throw to would significantly boost the passing stats of most QBs.

That corps might even make Fitzpatrick serviceable. But I still think Ryan is a very good QB and would give my left nut to have him on the Bills.

This past season, Ryan ranked"]http://espn.go.com/n...sAttempt]ranked seventh[/url] in yards per attempt. He also had a TD/INT ratio of better than 2:1. San Jose Bills Fan made a good point in that Ryan has good weapons--a fact which will tend to inflate his stats. But Tony Gonzales is no spring chicken, and some of the other QBs in Ryan's general statistical neighborhood have good weapons too. I think it's fairly safe to conclude Ryan is a top-10 or top-12 QB.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

This past season, Ryan ranked"]http://espn.go.com/n...sAttempt]ranked seventh[/url] in yards per attempt. He also had a TD/INT ratio of better than 2:1. San Jose Bills Fan made a good point in that Ryan has good weapons--a fact which will tend to inflate his stats. But Tony Gonzales is no spring chicken, and some of the other QBs in Ryan's general statistical neighborhood have good weapons too. I think it's fairly safe to conclude Ryan is a top-10 or top-12 QB.

Exactly, not top 6. Bingo Bango.

That corps might even make Fitzpatrick serviceable. But I still think Ryan is a very good QB and would give my left nut to have him on the Bills.

So would 18 other teams. Bet the Falcons would rather have Brady or Rodgers.

He's not a better QB then Flacco, play off wins are more important than a regular season record. Flacco has recorded less picks than Ryan in the post season.

Oh so your argument is based on hopes and dreams? You get ranked higher when you do more, that's the point of a ranking. I didn't say the guy was a bad QB or he would never win a Superbowl, you're putting words in my mouth. If Matty Ice wins the SB and goes 19-0 next year after putting up tremendous numbers, he'll get ranked higher. Based on his accomplishments, there are 9 other QB's who are better than him in production.

"You can't rank Matt Cassel 30th just because he never won a Superbowl, he still might"

C'mon now.

You mean like any kind of argument, thanks for letting me know.

Because putting up numbers doesn't make you the best. Just ask Cam Newton, he puts up tremendous numbers and still loses. There's this part of the season, at the end, where all of the good teams compete against each other. Whoever's the best of the best wins this end-goal game called the Superbowl. I think that matters a little bit when considering QB play.

Peyton is on the list because he's won the Superbowl with great long-term production. Matty Ice has not won the Superbowl, but still has some good production. Peyton is better.

You're using a lot of hindsight. Flacco was thought of as the biggest problem with the Ravens reaching the SB before this season. Flacco played great this postseason but Ryan was a game away from the SB as well. He had an average at best defense, suspect oline (Clabo???), and a very suspect running game. Ryan is a very good QB.

My Top 10 right now

1. Tom Brady (Has not won the big one in a while, but not his fault. He never made the critical mistake to lose the big one. See Welker for that)

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Drew Brees

4. Big Ben (I don't care if you don't like him as a person, he gets it done)

5. Flacco (Would have been in the SB the previous year, not his fault. See Lee Evans for that)

6. Eli (Finds his way to the Big one and balls out while he's there)

7-10. is a crap shoot...Cam, RG, Luck, Ryan, Kap

32. Fitzpatrick

I can't really complain about you're list but I don't think Flacco is a better QB than Matt Ryan, even with his SB ring. I know he had an awesome playoff run but to me he isn't top 6 yet. Just my opinion though.

My Top 10 right now

1. Tom Brady (Has not won the big one in a while, but not his fault. He never made the critical mistake to lose the big one. See Welker for that)

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Drew Brees

4. Big Ben (I don't care if you don't like him as a person, he gets it done)

5. Flacco (Would have been in the SB the previous year, not his fault. See Lee Evans for that)

6. Eli (Finds his way to the Big one and balls out while he's there)

7-10. is a crap shoot...Cam, RG, Luck, Ryan, Kap

32. Fitzpatrick

No Peyton Manning in your top 10?

I can't really complain about you're list but I don't think Flacco is a better QB than Matt Ryan, even with his SB ring. I know he had an awesome playoff run but to me he isn't top 6 yet. Just my opinion though.

QB values are like stocks. They go up and down numerous times in the same season and you can see that by the comments that people like Phil Simms make over the course of a season.

That said, Flacco is ahead of Ryan exactly because he was brilliant this postseason and particularly so in the Super Bowl.

I agree that Flacco and Ryan are very close but I believe that Flacco has been a better postseason QB than Ryan.

QB values are like stocks. They go up and down numerous times in the same season and you can see that by the comments that people like Phil Simms make over the course of a season.

That said, Flacco is ahead of Ryan exactly because he was brilliant this postseason and particularly so in the Super Bowl.

I agree that Flacco and Ryan are very close but I believe that Flacco has been a better postseason QB than Ryan.

I think you're right. Would definitely put them in the same class. I don't know where Cam Newton fits into this conversation. He's a dynamic player but he hasn't done sh-- yet. I would put Ryan over him in this top 10, no question.

Exactly, not top 6. Bingo Bango.

So would 18 other teams. Bet the Falcons would rather have Brady or Rodgers.

Let's play this game!

Who would prefer Matt Ryan as their starter:

NE - no

Jets - yes

Miami - yes

Bills - oh, God, yes

Cle - yes

Pit - no (and with the beatings that BR is taking, that's not an easy no)

Balt - no

Cincy - yes

Indy - no

Jax - yes

Houston - gonna say yes

Tenn - yes

SD - Rivers has had a nice career but looks on the downside. Yes

Den - no, but for how long?

KC - I think so, over A. Smith - yes

Raiders - yes

NYG - no, but would put MR in Eli's class

Philly - yes

Dal - yes

Wash - no

Chicago - no, but would put MR in Cutler's class

GB - no

Vikes - yes

Detroit - yes (Stafford can play, but MR more consistent)

NO - no

TB - yes

Carolina - this one is close. Maybe?

SF - no

Ariz - yes

Rams - yes

Seattle - no

So, I'm pretty certain 18 teams would be better off with Ryan. I am not sure about the Giants, Pitt, Carolina or Chicago, or Denver, long-term. And Kaep, Luck, RGIII and Wilson all look like stars but we need to see more than 16 games from these guys before they really reach the upper echelon. Kaep hasn't even had that many, and RGIII might not survive his coach.

Let's play this game!

Who would prefer Matt Ryan as their starter:

NE - no

Jets - yes

Miami - yes

Bills - oh, God, yes

Cle - yes

Pit - no (and with the beatings that BR is taking, that's not an easy no)

Balt - no

Cincy - yes

Indy - no

Jax - yes

Houston - gonna say yes

Tenn - yes

SD - Rivers has had a nice career but looks on the downside. Yes

Den - no, but for how long?

KC - I think so, over A. Smith - yes

Raiders - yes

NYG - no, but would put MR in Eli's class

Philly - yes

Dal - yes

Wash - no

Chicago - no, but would put MR in Cutler's class

GB - no

Vikes - yes

Detroit - yes (Stafford can play, but MR more consistent)

NO - no

TB - yes

Carolina - this one is close. Maybe?

SF - no

Ariz - yes

Rams - yes

Seattle - no

So, I'm pretty certain 18 teams would be better off with Ryan. I am not sure about the Giants, Pitt, Carolina or Chicago, or Denver, long-term. And Kaep, Luck, RGIII and Wilson all look like stars but we need to see more than 16 games from these guys before they really reach the upper echelon. Kaep hasn't even had that many, and RGIII might not survive his coach.

Thanks for doing the research for me, luckily I just guessed at 18.

Sounds to me like you just want to be right, Matt Ryan is a great player and any team would be happy to have him.

Contrary to wanting to be wrong? I don't understand...

I think you're right. Would definitely put them in the same class. I don't know where Cam Newton fits into this conversation. He's a dynamic player but he hasn't done sh-- yet. I would put Ryan over him in this top 10, no question.

Obviously Flacco's postseason play greatly increases his quality as of right now. Time will tell if he can ever get it done again. Keep in mind, RF had a good 5 games and OBD thought he deserved a bigger contract. Then his "stock" fell and they all looked like fools. You can't predict the future, Ryan may win 5 SB's and change up the list completely.

He's not a better QB then Flacco, play off wins are more important than a regular season record. Flacco has recorded less picks than Ryan in the post season.

Oh so your argument is based on hopes and dreams? You get ranked higher when you do more, that's the point of a ranking. I didn't say the guy was a bad QB or he would never win a Superbowl, you're putting words in my mouth. If Matty Ice wins the SB and goes 19-0 next year after putting up tremendous numbers, he'll get ranked higher. Based on his accomplishments, there are 9 other QB's who are better than him in production.

"You can't rank Matt Cassel 30th just because he never won a Superbowl, he still might"

C'mon now.

You mean like any kind of argument, thanks for letting me know.

Because putting up numbers doesn't make you the best. Just ask Cam Newton, he puts up tremendous numbers and still loses. There's this part of the season, at the end, where all of the good teams compete against each other. Whoever's the best of the best wins this end-goal game called the Superbowl. I think that matters a little bit when considering QB play.

Peyton is on the list because he's won the Superbowl with great long-term production. Matty Ice has not won the Superbowl, but still has some good production. Peyton is better.

He's one of the best right now -- that's what I said. Stats don't lie when you're completing almost 70% of your passes, especially w/ a horrid run game.

I think he has the top in one catagory: WORST. NICKNAME. EVER!

Ask him why his other, albeit lesser-known, nickname is 'Shredder'

Flacco also wins in the playoffs. Consistently. How anyone can put Ryan over Flacco now, especially after this year, is ridiculous.

Maybe because its a team sport?

Ask him why his other, albeit lesser-known, nickname is 'Shredder'

Maybe because its a team sport?

Team sport, yeah but Flacco has had better play in the post season than Ryan and Ryan has equal or probably better offensive weapons. Flacco has better stats, and less turnovers, directly correlating to wins.

Its unfair to count a QBs accomplishments that happened before Ryan was even in the league. What is your time frame for determining the rankings of QBs? The last year? The last 3 years?

Lets say the last 3 years for the sake of argument..

Rodgers, Eli and Flacco won superbowls. So would you put all of those guys ahead of Ryan because of that? In the last 3 years...

Eli: 86 TDs, 56 INTs, 61.5% comp%

Ryan: 88 TDs, 35 INTs, 64.1% comp%

Ryan has brought his team to the playoffs 3 times, Eli only 1 time. I'd rather have Ryan on my team right now.

Roethlisberger: 65 TDs, 27 INTs, 62.7% comp%

Ryan: 88 TDs, 35 INTs, 64.1% comp%

Roethlisberger has missed 8 games in the last 3 years, Ryan has missed 0. Roethlisberger has had 2 playoff appearances with a 2-2 record in the last 3 years, Ryan has 3 appearances with a 1-3 record. Based on his durability and better production, I'd rather have Ryan right now.

Obviously Brady and Bree's are ranked ahead of Ryan, you could argue against Peyton if you're looking at the last 3 years, but because of his production when he has played I'm going to rank him ahead of him.

Based on everything I just said, this would be my ranking:

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. P Manning

4. Brees

5. Flacco

6. Ryan

7. Roethlisberger

8. E Manning

Who else would you put ahead of Ryan and why?