Pats* sign Brady to 3 year extension thru 2017

FluffHead

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What agent would let someone with his profile (once in a blue moon client) go for less money to be a team player and rely on endorsements???? He has not made elite QB money at all in his career.....that is not because he's a team guy, it's because he's a system guy. Once they proved the system with Cassell, Brady had no leg to stand on if he were to ever try and hold the Pats up for more $$$.

Wow!

Someone believes Cassel and Brady are comparable.

Brady signed a 5-year $60M fully guaranteed extension. If he were to play all 5 years, which isn't going to happen, it would be a below market deal. But even if he plays 4 more years, which is a stretch, that's $15M/year on top of the (guaranteed and base salary) money he made off his last deal, on which he still had 2 years remaining. If he plays 3 more years, which is most likely the max for him, that's $20M/year. What it does is give them ~$7.5M/year in cap room over the next 2 years, which as I said was the time left on his last contract.

Here is a link to the deal:

http://www.spotrac.c...iots/tom-brady/

I have to learn to wait till the official info comes out in regards to media & contracts......this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks(Tarvaris Jackson) that early reports were way off the mark.

5yr 70.6m.....33m guaranteed.

Brady Cap numbers:

2013: 13.8m 2014: 14.8m 2015: 13m 2016: 14m 2017: 15m

Average/year = 14.1m

If retires after....

2014: 15.5m/year (18m dead money in 2015)

2015: 17.9m/year (12m dead money in 2016)

2016: 15.4m/year (6m dead money in 2017)

It's not as bad as initially reported.....but it is still apparently below what one would expect his market worth to be.

Edited by Dibs

I have to learn to wait till the official info comes out in regards to media & contracts......this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks(Tarvaris Jackson) that early reports were way off the mark.

Brady Cap numbers:

Average/year = 14.1m

If retires after....

It's not as bad as initially reported.....but it is still apparently below what one would expect his market worth to be.

I got my info from Rotoworld, who usually has the correct info. And they apparently changed it to what you have above. I wonder if anyone will look into Brady getting paid under the table, since the NFLPA should be screaming bloody murder about him taking a below-market contract.

I got my info from Rotoworld, who usually has the correct info. And they apparently changed it to what you have above. I wonder if anyone will look into Brady getting paid under the table, since the NFLPA should be screaming bloody murder about him taking a below-market contract.

What business is it of the NFLPA if Marcia decided to give the Pats* a hometown discount?

Assuming it's all on the up and up (big assumption for the Pats* I know), that's his business.

Probably likes it there, wants to retire from there, and wants it to remain a strong team while he is there.

What's a couple million to him. He has a house in Cali with a freaking moat that cost $20 million for Christs sake.

What business is it of the NFLPA if Marcia decided to give the Pats* a hometown discount?

Assuming it's all on the up and up (big assumption for the Pats* I know), that's his business.

Probably likes it there, wants to retire from there, and wants it to remain a strong team while he is there.

What's a couple million to him. He has a house in Cali with a freaking moat that cost $20 million for Christs sake.

What Brady makes affects QB salaries, especially franchise and transition tags.

The site I use(in the link) does the same thing. They had TJ as the 1 year - 4.5m contract for several days before changing it.

This seems to be yet another example of where the desire to publish the information outweighs the desire to report things accurately.

It could easily be argued that due to the work of the NFLPA, Brady was able to make all of the $$$ throughout his career......and to agree to a contract that hinders his fellow players(NFLPA) is perhaps somewhat selfish.

Edited by Dibs

Brady Cap numbers:

Average/year = 14.1m

If retires after....

What I'm hearing now is that it is a 5-year $57M guaranteed deal, assuming he's on the roster for the last game of the 2014 season, which seems likely. So again, if he plays 3 years, it's $19M/year, which is market. If he plays a 4th year, it's below.

... we'll find out :rolleyes: ...

Only if they sign him.

What I'm hearing now is that it is a 5-year $57M guaranteed deal, assuming he's on the roster for the last game of the 2014 season, which seems likely. So again, if he plays 3 years, it's $19M/year, which is market. If he plays a 4th year, it's below.

I think it works out more than that....the comment from that article of...

"However, if he's on the roster for the last game of 2014 season, the $24 million due from 2015 to 2017 becomes fully guaranteed."

....refers to his base salaries in those years.

Effectively if he sees the end of the 2014 season.....the entire contract will be guaranteed, as the only monies paid to him(or factored by cap) in 2015-2017 are salaries(guaranteed as stated above) and signing bonus(paid upon signing).

Therefore, if he plays 3 years(retires after 2015), he will be earning 70.6m over 3 years.....23.5m/year......and the Pats will have a dead money cap hit of a whopping 29m in 2016. (Unless he has a payback clause for some signing bonus money in the contract that has not been mentioned).

If he plays for 4 years, this contract becomes a little friendlier for the Pats. Brady would earn 17.7m/year....and the Pats dead money cap hit would only be a paltry 15m in 2017.

If there is no payback clause, Belicheat would wisely chose to retire himself if Brady retires before the end of that contract. 29m dead cap in 2016 or 15m in 2017......OUCH!

Edited by Dibs

[

Ten more games-bad news for the Bills as Brady is 20-2 against them. If he stays healthy and continues that pace he will be 29-3 in five more years.

Doubtful at best.

I think it works out more than that....the comment from that article of...

"However, if he's on the roster for the last game of 2014 season, the $24 million due from 2015 to 2017 becomes fully guaranteed."

....refers to his base salaries in those years.

Effectively if he sees the end of the 2014 season.....the entire contract will be guaranteed, as the only monies paid to him(or factored by cap) in 2015-2017 are salaries(guaranteed as stated above) and signing bonus(paid upon signing).

Therefore, if he plays 3 years(retires after 2015), he will be earning 70.6m over 3 years.....23.5m/year......and the Pats will have a dead money cap hit of a whopping 29m in 2016. (Unless he has a payback clause for some signing bonus money in the contract that has not been mentioned).

If he plays for 4 years, this contract becomes a little friendlier for the Pats. Brady would earn 17.7m/year....and the Pats dead money cap hit would only be a paltry 15m in 2017.

If there is no payback clause, Belicheat would wisely chose to retire himself if Brady retires before the end of that contract. 29m dead cap in 2016 or 15m in 2017......OUCH!

I'm not sure from where you're getting $70.6M. He gets a $30M SB and his first 2 years are guaranteed, for a total of $33M guaranteed right off the bat. The remainder of his salaries add-up to $24M, which become guaranteed if he's on the roster at the end of 2014. That adds-up to $57M.

Not sure why this thread is on a bills forum. The Bills suck OK? It has nothing to do with Brady getting a billion dollars or working for room and board. the Bills lose to EVERYONE. Get it?

We routinely talk about divisional opponents on The Wall.

What are you so angry about? Long winter in Anchorage?

If he holds out and demands fair market value he is selfish, if he takes less money to help the team he is a system QB afraid to be exposed.

You are the 1% that feels sorry for Brady. Way to be different, if only for the sake of being contrarian. Unfortunately for Brady, the system that allows him to become elite, is also the system that doesn't negotiate. He could not demand "fair" market value. This does not compute to the system. The system says Matt Cassel can do your job. You get what you are given and like it. If not, the system won't shed a tear for you. But you'll probably go work for ESPN and pine for Bellicheat's scent like the rest of them.

[

I'm not sure from where you're getting $70.6M. He gets a $30M SB and his first 2 years are guaranteed, for a total of $33M guaranteed right off the bat. The remainder of his salaries add-up to $24M, which become guaranteed if he's on the roster at the end of 2014. That adds-up to $57M.

57M + 13.6M of carryover monies from previous contract = 70.6M

Ignoring how it appears at the start, look directly at the 2015 season.

At that point he will have earned:

2013: 1m salary + 6m signing bonus + 3.2m of previous contracts signing bonus + 3.6m of previous contract restructure bonus = 13.8m

2014: 2m salary + 6m signing bonus + 3.2m of previous contracts signing bonus + 3.6m of previous contract restructure bonus = 14.8m

2013 + 2014 total = 28.6m

At this point he still has 18m of his signing bonus(guaranteed money) left to factor......and according to the article you linked, the 24m from the salaries of the 2015-2017 seasons become guaranteed.

This means that after 2 years, his deal is worth 70.6m(28.6m + 18m + 24m) regardless to whether he retires after the 2014, 2015 or 2016 season.

I imagine that there would be a payback clause which would reduce the money by 6m/season not played.....but that has not been reported.

Even if that were the case, retiring after 2015 would mean 58.6m over 3 year....19.5m/year.

Edited by Dibs