windows 8- anyone care to comment on it?

Pete

I need to do a clean install on a desktop, and I am debating between windows 7 and 8. From what I read, 8 is radically different and there is a learning curve trying to use. The reviews are mixed. Does anyone have experience with it?

I found Win8 horrible.

It is an obvious attempt to appear new & hip in that it is designed to look/feel like a phone/tablet.

Once you figure out how to get to your desktop.....and why one would want to use their computer without having immediate direct access to it baffles me....but once you get there, it's not so bad. The problems occur due to certain aspects of the system forcing you to go back to your front page tablet view to perform certain functions etc.

This becomes very confusing.....and extremely annoying.

I still haven't figured how to have it auto log-in. Every time one has to type in name and password just to have a quick look.....again this seems to be based for a highly mobile tablet & not a sit in your study PC.

Any system which I need to go through several illogical steps to simply shut it down gets my stamp of disapproval.

I :censored: hate it.

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are doing a clean install and can get windows 8 as easily/same money as 7 then get 8. It's a no brainer. You lose nothing once you get past a couple slightly different things and you gain some optional stuff that stays out of the way unless you want it. Go 8. Unless you have to buy a new license. If that's the case, it isn't worth it.

Agree. I bought a new laptop (non-touch screen) which came with Win8. I don't use the new Metro interface much, mostly go thrpugh Win7 mode. And i had to do a few free tweaks to make it work the same, e.g. adding the start menu. I do mostly work related stuff using MS Office applications which you can't do on the Metro interface. There are some useful apps that can be downloaded like a smart phone although i haven't explored it much...I do like the newsreader and weather apps, but don't use the integrated email app at all. Skype app seems more limited than the usual desktop version. Internet Explorer app is horrible - cumbersome to navigate, no tabs, etc... Overall, metro seems to be a gimmick geared toward touch screens and to get MS into app market.

But if you're not paying for an upgrade or if you have a touch screen, you may as well get Win8. You always have the option to go Win7 mode.

From what I read, 8 is radically different and there is a learning curve trying to use. The reviews are mixed. Does anyone have experience with it?

Metro interface is very different but Win 7 mode is the same as always (except for the start button/menu). And unless a person has never used a computer before, the learning curve is minimal even for Metro. My wife, who is not tech savvy by any means and hates change, was perfectly comfortable with Win8 in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

ZDNet

Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Summary: The numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.

"And Windows 8? Like Vista before it, Microsoft will re-release an older version of Windows, Windows 7 this time instead of XP, and start talking about wonderful Windows Blue, the next version of Windows, will be."

http://www.zdnet.com/five-reasons-why-windows-8-has-failed-7000012104/

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Google's android is devouring market share. I myself am looking for an alternative to windows and with apple not an option I'm very interested in google chrome books. Also because they're cloud-based computing, another thing I see myself embracing at some point.

I have a chromebook and I really like it. Like probably 95% of the computer using population, I don't have a need for a $1K - $3K computer for the vast majority of the time. My chromebook is fast, easy to use, lighter than hell, and cheap (of course Google did jump into the overpriced market with the new Pixel...if you just HAVE to spend lots of money to feel good about yourself.)

I don't take full advantage of cloud use yet, but I"m doing more all the time. I can say that I'm already annoyed when I realize I can't easily access a spreadsheet I started at work.

It is not meant to be a computer replacement and is not advertised as such. But I still have my old trusty Windows XP ThinkPad that does anything I need a computer to do. :)

"And Windows 8? Like Vista before it, Microsoft will re-release an older version of Windows, Windows 7 this time instead of XP, and start talking about wonderful Windows Blue, the next version of Windows, will be."

It almost seems like failing every other release is their marketing strategy at this point.

ZDNet

Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Summary: The numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.

http://www.zdnet.com...led-7000012104/

Microsofts record for OS has pretty much stayed the same, skip buying every other version. So keep XP, skip Vista, keep Win7, skip 8. Good money says if you need to, buy the next version.

Microsofts record for OS has pretty much stayed the same, skip buying every other version. So keep XP, skip Vista, keep Win7, skip 8. Good money says if you need to, buy the next version.

The difference was that Vista was bad. Win8 is just fine, just not a compelling reason to upgrade. Microsoft knew that before they even launched, which is why they well selling the upgrades for only $40.

But people are missing the bigger strategy, which is a unified code base between all of their devices. This will make MS much more agile in the future with phone, tablet, computer and maybe even the Xbox (not sure if that's the same code base). It's really a smart business move, especially since desktops aren't going to disappear for awhile.

The difference was that Vista was bad. Win8 is just fine, just not a compelling reason to upgrade. Microsoft knew that before they even launched, which is why they well selling the upgrades for only $40.

But people are missing the bigger strategy, which is a unified code base between all of their devices. This will make MS much more agile in the future with phone, tablet, computer and maybe even the Xbox (not sure if that's the same code base). It's really a smart business move, especially since desktops aren't going to disappear for awhile.

It's a too little, too late strategy they were forced into and it's not working. 5 years ago when it would have been a smart move, they were saying this about smart phones:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

[/size]

I have a chromebook and I really like it. Like probably 95% of the computer using population, I don't have a need for a $1K - $3K computer for the vast majority of the time. My chromebook is fast, easy to use, lighter than hell, and cheap (of course Google did jump into the overpriced market with the new Pixel...if you just HAVE to spend lots of money to feel good about yourself.)

I don't take full advantage of cloud use yet, but I"m doing more all the time. I can say that I'm already annoyed when I realize I can't easily access a spreadsheet I started at work.

It is not meant to be a computer replacement and is not advertised as such. But I still have my old trusty Windows XP ThinkPad that does anything I need a computer to do. :)

It almost seems like failing every other release is their marketing strategy at this point.

I wonder if they'll recovery this time, I really do with the decline of the PC. Their CEO does not strike me as a visionary either, quite the opposite

I need to do a clean install on a desktop, and I am debating between windows 7 and 8. From what I read, 8 is radically different and there is a learning curve trying to use. The reviews are mixed. Does anyone have experience with it?

If you have a touchscreen, then I'd go with Windows 8. If not, Windows 7 would be my choice. With either choice, I'd go with the at least the Professional 64 Bit Version.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I wonder if they'll recovery this time, I really do with the decline of the PC. Their CEO does not strike me as a visionary either, quite the opposite

You say that like Windows is Microsoft's core business, which isn't really true anymore. Plus, Windows is still going to make them a boatload of money - you don't think that companies are going to ditch desktops, do you?

Whole world is going more mobile, cloud-based and SaaS. I just read the #1 selling laptop on Amazon is the Google Chromebook. Which doesn't run Windows

Companies aren't switching to Chromebooks, at least not in the near term. Not sure why you think Windows is going to disappear soon. In ten years, maybe, but in 1-3? No way. Plus, like I mentioned before, Microsoft is consolidating their code base to support the desktop, tablets, and phones. One OS for them all, and a seamless experience between desktop and mobile. Could be a smart move if Windows Phone catches on.

MS also has plenty of cloud offerings. For example, Outlook.com and Office365.com.

Then there's this little thing called the Xbox and all of Xbox Live. I remember people saying that the original Xbox was a dumb idea - nobody can beat Sony and the Playstation.

Microsoft isn't going to disappear, despite what some in this thread are hoping for.

Companies aren't switching to Chromebooks, at least not in the near term. Not sure why you think Windows is going to disappear soon. In ten years, maybe, but in 1-3? No way. Plus, like I mentioned before, Microsoft is consolidating their code base to support the desktop, tablets, and phones. One OS for them all, and a seamless experience between desktop and mobile. Could be a smart move if Windows Phone catches on.

MS also has plenty of cloud offerings. For example, Outlook.com and Office365.com.

Then there's this little thing called the Xbox and all of Xbox Live. I remember people saying that the original Xbox was a dumb idea - nobody can beat Sony and the Playstation.

Microsoft isn't going to disappear, despite what some in this thread are hoping for.

Never said theyre going in 1-3, or any time for that matter. But I see their business eroding with decline of PC OS influence. As for Xbox, yes its makes money, but its overall contribution to MS bottom line is small.

What I think happens is they enter into strategic mergers with some also-ran franchises like Yahoo (subsribers, search engine) or HP (hardware).

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack