windows 8- anyone care to comment on it?

Pete

Companies aren't switching to Chromebooks, at least not in the near term. Not sure why you think Windows is going to disappear soon. In ten years, maybe, but in 1-3? No way. Plus, like I mentioned before, Microsoft is consolidating their code base to support the desktop, tablets, and phones. One OS for them all, and a seamless experience between desktop and mobile. Could be a smart move if Windows Phone catches on.

MS also has plenty of cloud offerings. For example, Outlook.com and Office365.com.

Then there's this little thing called the Xbox and all of Xbox Live. I remember people saying that the original Xbox was a dumb idea - nobody can beat Sony and the Playstation.

Microsoft isn't going to disappear, despite what some in this thread are hoping for.

You keep acting like syncing platforms is some genius move, but it's not, it's just the obvious next step. Apple's been doing it with their Mac's and iPhone/iPads for a while, and even Google is already doing with Android phones and tablets and Chrome (browsers and OS).

Microsoft will take forever to die because they dominated the market for so long. But compared to the "new guys", Microsoft is lumbering company that brings nothing new to the table.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep acting like syncing platforms is some genius move, but it's not, it's just the obvious next step. Apple's been doing it with their Mac's and iPhone/iPads for a while, and even Google is already doing with Android phones and tablets and Chrome (browsers and OS).

Microsoft will take forever to die because they dominated the market for so long. But compared to the "new guys", Microsoft is lumbering company that brings nothing new to the table.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm not talking about sharing between the desktop and mobile, I'm talking about Microsoft developing a single OS that runs on all of the platforms. Apple's not doing that - iOS is a completely different codebase from MacOS.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm not talking about sharing between the desktop and mobile, I'm talking about Microsoft developing a single OS that runs on all of the platforms. Apple's not doing that - iOS is a completely different codebase from MacOS.

Yeah windows 8 and no ones buying it. Like the reviewer said the system is not optimized for any device. End users interface differently with PC, tablet and mobile. My last PC purchase for example was touch screen and I find it to be a nuisance...when I point at or get near the screen it starts performing functions I don't want it to. People sit too far from PC screen to get any value out of touch, and with room for physical keyboard that's better than onscreen keyboard anyway. Syncing of libraries is great but like the other poster said that's already being done. But when they tried extend it into the same OS for all devices it flopped. Google is using chrome for their laptops, and android for phones and tablets.

But the point is seamless synchronization between all platforms, which is already being done. Personally I don't think having one OS on all platforms matters as long as all of your devices have all of your info all the time.

Interesting development at Google on the topic of PC and mobile OS convergence, they are combing both android and chrome under the same guy.

http://www.mercuryne...ubin-step-aside

From what I gather, this will be happening more often at Google. They build their products using small, independent teams, but as these products get bigger they need to be integrated with each other. For instance, there are separate applications for Google Chat, Messanger, and Voice (I think there's another one out there too) and they can all have seperate logins and contact lists. You can sync them fairly easily, but it makes more sense to combine these programs into one system, using the best features from each.

From what I gather, this will be happening more often at Google. They build their products using small, independent teams, but as these products get bigger they need to be integrated with each other. For instance, there are separate applications for Google Chat, Messanger, and Voice (I think there's another one out there too) and they can all have seperate logins and contact lists. You can sync them fairly easily, but it makes more sense to combine these programs into one system, using the best features from each.

Perhaps i read too much in the previous Google announcement:

"Google to keep Android and Chrome OS separate, says Schmidt"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/21/4130870/schmidt-google-to-keep-android-and-chrome-os-separate

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack