A Glimmer of Hope, the Bills Still not committed to keeping Fitz on th

BuffBill

You're right that it doesn't make sense to cut him with respect to his cap numbers. None whatsoever. But it makes financial sense to cut him (we save $7.4MM by cutting him before March 12th). Now what do you think is more important to the front office, cap space or the bottom line? Do I have to remind you well sell a game to Toronto?

Also, again, if you do it this year, you avoid dead money next year. Cut fitz 10m in cap consumed. Keep fitz but cut him next year 17m in cap for one year of play, plus 10m actual cash (assuming the numbers up thread are accurate)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no reason to cut him. he saves nothing, and if we cut him we have to pursue another FA QB which will suck $3-$5 million from our cap space.

if he does get cut it won't be until we have enough QB's on the roster. Even so Fitz may have short comings, and won't start but IMO he would be a good mentor>

I beleive he will restructre some because even after a pay reducing restructure here he won't make bigger money in FA

I'll say this: I thought, why cut Fitz if it saves you nothing? The cap would be the same, without a restructuring. Yet, if they're actually saving cash that they can use to pay other FA's, then it's something. I hadn't considered whether keeping him this year without a restructuring would result in a guaranteed similar but worse situation next year. That would be good motivation to cut him now - simply to take the loss and be able to move on next year. Again, I don't know whether this is certain.

Either way we're going to see a rookie this year who could be much better than anyone we have on the roster.

They got TJ so cheap. Add his and Fitz's money and divide by two and it's not too bad for two QB's. We love to beat up on Fitz. Get LB's [2] Wr and S this year and a QB next year when the crop will be much better. The only tools Fitz had were running backs and than one was hurt all the time. Why not start a discussion on why we have no back ups on offense. Bet it was Fitz's fault too.

Edited by Direhard Fan

Well stated and spot on. At least it appears there are a handful of 'wallers' that actually use sound logic and sanity rather than pure unbridled emmotion when opining.

Have you thought about what the Bills are going to next year? Cutting him now saves 10 mill cash this year, while minimal cap relief.....BUT, he will be off the cap next season. If we don't cut him this year, we will have to cut him next year.....with minimal cap relief or take another big cap hit with his terrible contract. If he's not restructured he has to be cut or we're just hurting our cap situation next season. It's a terrible contract and it needs to be eliminated or he has to take a pay cut. Period. Paying him 10mill this year and leaving ourselves on the hook for the same situation would be a major blunder. Is logic and common sense the same thing?

They got TJ so cheap. Add his and Fitz's money and divide by two and it's not too bad for two QB's. We love to beat up on Fitz. Get LB's [2] Wr and S this year and a QB next year when the crop will be much better. The only tools Fitz had were running backs and than one was hurt all the time. Why not start a discussion on why we have no back ups on offense. Bet it was Fitz's fault too.

You should change your name to Diehard Fritz Fan. The guy is a bum. He's better than Jp, Trent, Holcomb and Brohm. So am I. The guy is terrible throwing passes over 10 yards. It has nothing to do with his wrs. He has zero touch. Zero. Move on.

Translation: Obviously we're trying to renegotiate Fitz's contract right now, it's the best possible move we can make since a cap hit would be brutal, but in the meantime I need to stall you guys in the media by saying we're still evaluating.

Yessir.

Have you thought about what the Bills are going to next year? Cutting him now saves 10 mill cash this year, while minimal cap relief.....BUT, he will be off the cap next season. If we don't cut him this year, we will have to cut him next year.....with minimal cap relief or take another big cap hit with his terrible contract. If he's not restructured he has to be cut or we're just hurting our cap situation next season. It's a terrible contract and it needs to be eliminated or he has to take a pay cut. Period. Paying him 10mill this year and leaving ourselves on the hook for the same situation would be a major blunder. Is logic and common sense the same thing?

Have YOU thought about what the logical path forwatd is if fitz gets cut prior to march 3rd? Jax is your qb... period. He's worse than if fitz were playing with a patch on one eye and his right hand pinned to his waist. If I'm an agent, I'm ringin the bills phone til it burns up... cuz I got a starting qb in my free agent stable that I'll let you rent for a year or two. I got leinart, hoyer, quinn, grossman (yeah, a superbowl qb), tebow, moore, mccown, gradkowski, painter. You mame him, i got him in my free agent junk yard. He'll cost 50% more than he'd sign for a yeam that has a stable of somewhat competent qbs... but that's only cuz you got s#it at qb and i know he's only gonna be there a year cuz you are drafting a qb in april for 2014... and heck your draftee may start at some point in 2013. So... a rex grossman or matt leinart are gonna cost ya $4m/yr. Guaranteed. Oh, sorry... these guys gotta get paid for starting. It aint my problem you cut fitz knowing your cap hit was 10m if you kept him or 10m if you cut him. So , it aint my problem you have to tack an extra 4m to your cap to pay for my rent a qb. And it aint my problem that with jax on board you are carrying a salary of $16m on the cap for qbs... not counting your rookie qb... oh, and speaking of which, every team in the league knows you got s#it at qb with no fitz zn just jax and rental... so you better grab your qb at #8 cuz if you don't, teams are gonna be jumping in front of you in the next 2 rounds to grab their qb knowing you want to draft one if you haven't taken him on rd 1. Good luck drafting your franchise guy in round 4. But... look on the bright side... he won't count much against the cap. Checkmate!!!

Have YOU thought about what the logical path forwatd is if fitz gets cut prior to march 3rd? Jax is your qb... period. He's worse than if fitz were playing with a patch on one eye and his right hand pinned to his waist. If I'm an agent, I'm ringin the bills phone til it burns up... cuz I got a starting qb in my free agent stable that I'll let you rent for a year or two. I got leinart, hoyer, quinn, grossman (yeah, a superbowl qb), tebow, moore, mccown, gradkowski, painter. You mame him, i got him in my free agent junk yard. He'll cost 50% more than he'd sign for a yeam that has a stable of somewhat competent qbs... but that's only cuz you got s#it at qb and i know he's only gonna be there a year cuz you are drafting a qb in april for 2014... and heck your draftee may start at some point in 2013. So... a rex grossman or matt leinart are gonna cost ya $4m/yr. Guaranteed. Oh, sorry... these guys gotta get paid for starting. It aint my problem you cut fitz knowing your cap hit was 10m if you kept him or 10m if you cut him. So , it aint my problem you have to tack an extra 4m to your cap to pay for my rent a qb. And it aint my problem that with jax on board you are carrying a salary of $16m on the cap for qbs... not counting your rookie qb... oh, and speaking of which, every team in the league knows you got s#it at qb with no fitz zn just jax and rental... so you better grab your qb at #8 cuz if you don't, teams are gonna be jumping in front of you in the next 2 rounds to grab their qb knowing you want to draft one if you haven't taken him on rd 1. Good luck drafting your franchise guy in round 4. But... look on the bright side... he won't count much against the cap. Checkmate!!!

jackson, not that much of a downgrade (if at all)

any of those qbs would kill for a shot to see the field, including an incentive heavy contract worth less money. you just named about 10 guys that would be vying for one spot. thats leverage for us, not them.

checkmate.

Let me get this straight. You think keeping Fitz on the roster will prevent teams from gouging us for their garbage QBs? And if we cut Fitz the price will go up 50%? And you are the guy claiming to be one of the logical and sane posters?

Edit: And as NoSaint said, Jackson is not that much of a downgrade as you try to make him out to be.

Edit #2: Countdown - Fitz has 19 days 23 hours to restructure.

Edited by QCity

Do people on this board even read the threads? Seriously? :wallbash:

yeah we gain no cap space by cutting him. Sure we don't pay him out of pocket, but if you would of taken the time to take your own advice and read my post I explained it pretty well.

but please keep knocking your skull against that brick wall.. Your brain might actually start functioning. I laugh at the idiocy of people on message boards. Quick with the insults zero comprehension

lol....I was just thinking the exact same thing.

see above

yeah we gain no cap space by cutting him. Sure we don't pay him out of pocket, but if you would of taken the time to take your own advice and read my post I explained it pretty well.

but please keep knocking your skull against that brick wall.. Your brain might actually start functioning. I laugh at the idiocy of people on message boards. Quick with the insults zero comprehension

see above

You're right that it doesn't make sense to cut him with respect to his cap numbers. None whatsoever. But it makes financial sense to cut him (we save $7.4MM by cutting him before March 12th). Now what do you think is more important to the front office, cap space or the bottom line? Do I have to remind you well sell a game to Toronto?

Actually I did read exatly this when I replied. and like I said, if you took your own advice you would of realized I spelled it out for you. if they were going to cut Fitz just to save the coin they would of done it already

Edited by shibuya

see above

Actually I did read exatly this when I replied. and like I said, if you took your own advice you would of realized I spelled it out for you. if they were going to cut Fitz just to save the coin they would of done it already

they save 7m of cap space next year by cutting him now, and 10m in real cash.

we are out 10m of space either way, sunk cost.

is keeping him this year worth 7m in cap space and 10m in real cash?

Edited by NoSaint

Explained it pretty well?

there is no reason to cut him. he saves nothing

Wrong. We've mentioned the cash savings. NoSaint even brought up future cap problems.

if we cut him we have to pursue another FA QB which will suck $3-$5 million from our cap space.

Wrong. We don't have to pursue anyone and spend $3-$5 million. We might have 2 rookies and a 6 year veteran to fall back on. You may not like Jax, but don't say we have to get a FA. 6-10 with a FA and 5-11 with Jax isn't any different.

if he does get cut it won't be until we have enough QB's on the roster.

Wrong. If he gets cut, it will be before his $3MM roster bonus is due March 12th. We ain't paying him $3MM for training camp.

if they were going to cut Fitz just to save the coin they would of done it already

Wrong. If they are trying to restructure him right now (highly likely) they wouldn't have cut him already.

I'm going to need a lot more explaining before I believe "there is no reason to cut him. he saves nothing," it simply isn't true. How's that for comprehension?

Edited by QCity