QB situaution

KGUNBILLS

ok let me clear it up for you.

Sure there are QB's out there that are 2nd or 3rd rounders come in and do well. But I'm saying this years class is not as strong as last years.

Last year was the year to get a QB.

The Bills are always a step behind.

That really doesn't clear up anything.

You are saying that the 1st round graded QBs that will be in this draft will not be graded as high as the 2nd, 3rd & 4th round graded QBs in the 2011/12 drafts.

That makes no logical sense.

The only thing I can think of is that you are playing with hindsight......and fudging on basic math principles.....saying all of the lucky hits happened in the last 2 years so this year it won't happen.

Assuming that after the combine there are QBs legitimately graded as 1st round talent, they will be considered better prospects than Kaepernick, Wilson & Dalton were.....irrelevant to the overall strength of draft class.

What do you all think of Colin Klein from Kansas state?

Good intangibles. Don't like his arm in the least. If he can get some good coaching and learn how to get more velocity on his ball, while adding some accuracy, he could be a good one. 2 very big ifs. I'm betting he's never a starter, not including replacing an inured starter v

Seriously...if the bills are planning to draft a Qb lets say in the second round..why not just try to trade for Ryan mallet with that #41 pick to new england????...Ryan mallet is far beyond better then any prospect in this years draft......unreal arm strenght with good accuracy..played againts best conference in college also lit it up dammm good in preason..........lets go bills!!!!!!!!

Edited by Hotpockets28

More from Doug Whaley at his conference this am:

Re QBs in weather

Doug Whaley: You have to put stock into it because it's going to come into play and one of the main attributes are toughness and arm strength and we'd like to use that weather to our advantage

....Barkley?

Doug Whaley: We'll have a better gauge on that when we see him workout live on March 27th at USC.

Qualities in QB

Doug Whaley: You have to have a guy with a presence, arm strength, accuracy and an ability to make people around him better.....We're going to try to get as much competition at that position as possible, like we will at all positions. Competition makes everybody better and the team better.

Can need trump your board, as in QB, LB?

Doug Whaley: If they're close we'll go with need, but need will not trump position on the draft board if there's a difference in grade.

How can you reassure Bills fans that you will pick a franchise quarterback after missing out on players like Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick?

Doug Whaley: There are no guarantees in this business, but we will do our due diligence to make sure we pick the most talented player to help us to get where we need to be. If a QB is available at the right spot for us then we'll make the call.

Will the Bills take a QB in the first 3 rounds?

Doug Whaley: We're looking for the best player available in the first three rounds. We stay true to our board. If it happens to be a QB then so be it.

Suck for Bridgewater!

YES!!

More from Doug Whaley at his conference this am:

Re QBs in weather

Doug Whaley: You have to put stock into it because it's going to come into play and one of the main attributes are toughness and arm strength and we'd like to use that weather to our advantage

....Barkley?

Doug Whaley: We'll have a better gauge on that when we see him workout live on March 27th at USC.

Qualities in QB

Doug Whaley: You have to have a guy with a presence, arm strength, accuracy and an ability to make people around him better.....We're going to try to get as much competition at that position as possible, like we will at all positions. Competition makes everybody better and the team better.

Can need trump your board, as in QB, LB?

Doug Whaley: If they're close we'll go with need, but need will not trump position on the draft board if there's a difference in grade.

How can you reassure Bills fans that you will pick a franchise quarterback after missing out on players like Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick?

Doug Whaley: There are no guarantees in this business, but we will do our due diligence to make sure we pick the most talented player to help us to get where we need to be. If a QB is available at the right spot for us then we'll make the call.

Will the Bills take a QB in the first 3 rounds?

Doug Whaley: We're looking for the best player available in the first three rounds. We stay true to our board. If it happens to be a QB then so be it.

If what he says in the final quote is true, I don't think there's even a slight chance we draft a QB in the 1st unless its Geno or Barkley (and barkley's a stretch).. I can't see how anyone would rank any other of these QBs in the top 8. If they do, we should fire them because their scouting prowess really sucks.

I have said this before....

If the Bills believe Nassib is the guy the want to work with then draft him at 8. Because your right he wont be there at 41. I don't think too many people will blame them if they did.

But since they need LB's just as bad as QB , man they could go QB. LB or WR even in the first.

This is going to be interesting to see what kind of effect the Combine will have. Some dude in shorts is gonna climb up the board. I bet a couple of QB's bump up into the first round after the Combine.

I really wont be happy if they use the #8 overall pick on Nassib. Nassib will likely have a 2nd round grade and theres no reason the bills cant wait and get him at some point at the top of round 2 (either by staying or trading up).

That really doesn't clear up anything.

You are saying that the 1st round graded QBs that will be in this draft will not be graded as high as the 2nd, 3rd & 4th round graded QBs in the 2011/12 drafts.

That makes no logical sense.

The only thing I can think of is that you are playing with hindsight......and fudging on basic math principles.....saying all of the lucky hits happened in the last 2 years so this year it won't happen.

Assuming that after the combine there are QBs legitimately graded as 1st round talent, they will be considered better prospects than Kaepernick, Wilson & Dalton were.....irrelevant to the overall strength of draft class.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that "Round Grades" are a matter of supply and demand. There are definitely years where a 2nd round grade that year would easily equate to a 1st round grade in another year and cases where a first round grade one year would be a 2nd round grade in another year.

If you believe that QB is a more important position than all other positions, then if the demand (number of teams needing an upgrade at QB) exceeds the available good talent in the draft, it logically follows that the available QBs will be over-valued vs years where the supply-demand ratio is different. Even last year, when there were two clear stars, there were still QBs picked much earlier than one might have expected (Tannehill for example).

Several teams are desperate for a QB including the Bills, Chiefs, Jets and Cards. Many others would be interested, too. I suspect that there will be a fairly early run on QBs (maybe mid-late round 1).

While it would be great to get the next Jim Kelly, it doesn't look like that kind of player is available this year. Depending on who is left by the 10th pick in round 2, the Bills *might* get a shot at a guy who has a 50-50 chance of becoming a good starting NFL QB. Whether they should pick that guy depends on who else at other positions is available.

No debate that QB is the most important position, just a question of how big of a gamble do you make to take one.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that "Round Grades" are a matter of supply and demand. There are definitely years where a 2nd round grade that year would easily equate to a 1st round grade in another year and cases where a first round grade one year would be a 2nd round grade in another year.

If you believe that QB is a more important position than all other positions, then if the demand (number of teams needing an upgrade at QB) exceeds the available good talent in the draft, it logically follows that the available QBs will be over-valued vs years where the supply-demand ratio is different. Even last year, when there were two clear stars, there were still QBs picked much earlier than one might have expected (Tannehill for example).

Several teams are desperate for a QB including the Bills, Chiefs, Jets and Cards. Many others would be interested, too. I suspect that there will be a fairly early run on QBs (maybe mid-late round 1).

While it would be great to get the next Jim Kelly, it doesn't look like that kind of player is available this year. Depending on who is left by the 10th pick in round 2, the Bills *might* get a shot at a guy who has a 50-50 chance of becoming a good starting NFL QB. Whether they should pick that guy depends on who else at other positions is available.

No debate that QB is the most important position, just a question of how big of a gamble do you make to take one.

I understand & agree with your base concept. Supply/demand obviously effects the draft....particularly that of the QB position.

After the combine, and as we get closer to the draft we will see player gradings from many sites. I confidently expect that there will be several QBs who are graded higher than the 2nd(3rd/4th etc) round QBs from previous years.

I hope I'm correct in my assumptions at this point, as we need to start rolling some dice on legit QB prospects ASAP IMO.

Edited by Dibs