Great article on Bills Cap Situation

Alphadawg7

If Kelsey isn't cut, the Marrone era will fail. He's the 3rd highest paid player and we'll save 4.9 mill cutting him....meanwhile he sucks. It makes zero sense to keep him. Please guys, Pull Nixs' head out of Kelsey's ass and do what should've been done 4 years ago. 4.9 can get us a contributor.

Has Kelsay EVER been in a winning team?

I guess the 9-7 team under Williams, or was it Mularkey: been so long I can't remember.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy went out and spent a bundle last year on their own UFA's and of course, Williams and Anderson. It resulted in a 6-10 season that was all but over around mid-season. If analytics is truly the new game in town, then spending on high-dollar UFA's aside from their own seems unlikely IMO.

Data will drive decision making, not necessarily the ideas of a GM whose record is extremely suspect. And the data shows that winning enough to make the playoffs doesn't require big dollars in UFA. Too many teams are winning without engaging in off-season spending sprees.

So then we are not "short" on cap space like the article suggests right?

CBF

Not really.....with the possibility of a firm "no".

After the Wilson/Barnett cuts we have 17.9M in cap room......so not really.

We also have the option to use an additional 9.8M of carry over cap from last year......totaling 27.7M.....so no.

Cutting Kelsay/McGee/Smith will add another 9.2M.....totaling 36.9M. Lots of cap room......particularly compared to most teams.

Edited by Dibs

Buddy Nix needs to go, seriously. We've seeen what he can do and it's not good.

people do realize Nix doesn't do the $$$ amounts in contracts. Isn't that Overdorf

and to put this in a better perspective. The Bills have the 8th best salary cap situation in the NFL as of today. lots of teams in worse shape then we are financially

Edited by shibuya

people do realize Nix doesn't do the $$$ amounts in contracts. Isn't that Overdorf

and to put this in a better perspective. The Bills have the 8th best salary cap situation in the NFL as of today. lots of teams in worse shape then we are financially

Where'd you get that from? I figure us being a few more notches better than 8th at the moment.

Serious question: why is McGee still on the roster, given his recent history? I would've been less surprised if they'd cut him instead of Wilson, and I really wasn't surprised about Wilson at all.

didn't McGee restructure his contract last year, to basically league minimum: and heavy incentives? I thought with his lack of playing time he was cheap? But I couldn't tell you how insentive laden contracts affect the cap.

didn't McGee restructure his contract last year, to basically league minimum: and heavy incentives? I thought with his lack of playing time he was cheap? But I couldn't tell you how insentive laden contracts affect the cap.

I don't know about that.....it doesn't look that way from the contract sites.

If cut he will add 2.2M to the cap.

http://blogs.buffalo...cap-space-rank/

thats before we cut barnett and wilson, i really dont agree with the buffalo news article at all

Uggg.....it's impossible to keep up with.

The one thing we can be sure about is that at this point we have an advantage over most teams......and with a few more strategic cuts(and a miraculous re-working of Fitz).....we will be in good position come Free Agency time.

Where'd you get that from? I figure us being a few more notches better than 8th at the moment.

One of the lists of salary cap and teams I remember Reading.

We are definitely in the top 10.

Also I agree that the 20 million amount was tossed around before we cut ties with Barnett and Wilson. We should be at $26 mil under IMO.. but who knows for sure. wish there was a definitive site to reference

but at this point the data out there it's hard to understand what is what and how much money we really have under the cap

Edited by shibuya

This but cut Anderson too.

That would cost an extra 1.5M in cap space.....not save any cap space.

I love Fred but they can save 3 million and get a back to carry the ball 7-10 times a game.

Cutting Fred would only save 1.64M in cap space.

you need 2 backs and CJ is not an every down back. .he will break down.

Fred's experience is invaluable I don't think he should be cut

As for Anderson... we need DE's letting him go is not a positive

Why do people think CJ cant handle a full work load? He has been pretty durable and there is no reason to think he cant. In fact, he has been WAY more durable than Freddie. CJ is a 20 touches a game guy, hes proven that. We dont need a high paid RB to take 5-7 carries a game for him. Even Choice fills in pretty nicely as a change of pace.

Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Freddie, but if cutting him meant we could grab other players at more needed positions and also retain our own key guys like Byrd and Levitre, then I think it would be the correct move. Fortunately, he is still a very good player and there are guys who are dead weight in comparison like Kelsey and Smith, or guys to bridle and past their prime like McGee, that should go first and that alone should give us the necessary space to pursue who ever we want, sign our rookies, and retain our key guys.

Personally, I do hope we keep Fred, but not because of Spiller allegedly not being an every down back because I think he definitely is and a top 3 back in this league too who I think will easily win the AFC rushing title next year.

Not really.....with the possibility of a firm "no".

After the Wilson/Barnett cuts we have 17.9M in cap room......so not really.

We also have the option to use an additional 9.8M of carry over cap from last year......totaling 27.7M.....so no.

Cutting Kelsay/McGee/Smith will add another 9.2M.....totaling 36.9M. Lots of cap room......particularly compared to most teams.

truth is we don't want to spend to cap.....