The 53 Year Anniversary Bills Wall of Shame Awards

Meathead

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey great story. im sold, at least on rutkowski

now we gotta decide between marangi and darragh. i remember marangi myself and he was atrocious. i could throw left handed and complete more than 35% of my passes. but darragh had 4 tds to 22 picks, which i could surpass throwing with my foot. so im torn

upon further review i have decided darragh indeed was the worst. although i never saw him play he is statistically inferior to my crown idol of bills suckitude, mr marangi

OK. I have to nip this Rutkowski thing in the bud. He was a defensive back and then wide receiver who in 1968 after injuries to Jack Kemp, Dan Darragh, Kay Stepenson and Benny Russel was forced into playing emergency quarterback against San Diego in week 11. In Week 12, he started against Denver and lost 34- 32 because Marlin Briscoe (the original pistol quarterback) threw 4 TD's to beat us . On Thanksgiving day, we played Oakland the best team in the league and were down 13-10 with three minutes left and had the ball on the goal line when Rutkowski fumbled on a quarterback sneak. I was broken hearted but never blamed Rutkowski who played his heart out. Earlier in the year, the Bills lost 48-6 to Oakland with Darragh at quarterback in Buffalo. So not only does Rutkowski not deserve this bad rap but if he had not fumbled the Bills would have lost out on the number one pick in the draft (O.J. Simpson) and ended up with Leroy Keyes. So if you want to assess really bad real quarterbacks, you can not find worst stats than Dan Darragh from William and Mary who turned out to be a very good environmental attorney but a really bad NFL QB

hey great story. im sold, at least on rutkowski

now we gotta decide between marangi and darragh. i remember marangi myself and he was atrocious. i could throw left handed and complete more than 35% of my passes. but darragh had 4 tds to 22 picks, which i could surpass throwing with my foot. so im torn

upon further review i have decided darragh indeed was the worst. although i never saw him play he is statistically inferior to my crown idol of bills suckitude, mr marangi

I would say Darragh is the worst QB I ever saw play for the Bills.

I miss a guy like Shultz coming across the middle. He could chop a receiver in half.

TE - Tony Hunter, ND

We drafted him ahead of Jim Kelly in 1983. He was out of Buffalo after 1984 and out of football in 1986 because the scouting report said he couldn't block Nancy Reagan. The Bills have never drafted a TE in the first round since, probably a good idea.

OK. I have to nip this Rutkowski thing in the bud. He was a defensive back and then wide receiver who in 1968 after injuries to Jack Kemp, Dan Darragh, Kay Stepenson and Benny Russel was forced into playing emergency quarterback against San Diego in week 11. In Week 12, he started against Denver and lost 34- 32 because Marlin Briscoe (the original pistol quarterback) threw 4 TD's to beat us . On Thanksgiving day, we played Oakland the best team in the league and were down 13-10 with three minutes left and had the ball on the goal line when Rutkowski fumbled on a quarterback sneak. I was broken hearted but never blamed Rutkowski who played his heart out. Earlier in the year, the Bills lost 48-6 to Oakland with Darragh at quarterback in Buffalo. So not only does Rutkowski not deserve this bad rap but if he had not fumbled the Bills would have lost out on the number one pick in the draft (O.J. Simpson) and ended up with Leroy Keyes. So if you want to assess really bad real quarterbacks, you can not find worst stats than Dan Darragh from William and Mary who turned out to be a very good environmental attorney but a really bad NFL QB

That is all true, DD was terrible. Benny Russel haven't heard his name in a long time. 1-2 50% completions lol...

According to a ranking at pro-football-reference.com, it is not even close between the badness of Gary Marangi and Dan Darragh. Marangi was rated the 10,113th best player in the NFL since 1950. Dan Darragh comes in at 23,260. I wish I knew what the total number was to see how close to rock bottom he comes. Just as a point of reference, Ryan Fitzpatrick is 2,681 and Rob Johnson is 4,927.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarrDa00.htm

all excellent candidates but they dont look like they can beat out what we have - with the possible exception of Bugenhagen who would probably win the tie breaker with Joe Panos due to a much shorter career

but ive never seen him play so does anybody else want to chime in on this matchup of suck?

btw - ive always loved that Mack Yoho name and the fact that he was both a DE and a K! but thats why i think we have to go with Lusteg bc he was a real kicker and still sucked

rub it in why dont you

I have only been able to find one other quarterback in Bills history (besides Darragh) who was ranked below Marangi and it is not one of the early ones like Warren Rabb (8,597) or Richie Lucas (8,958) but the much more recent Brian Brohm (14,559).

FYI - Kelly is 126, Ferguson 386, Kemp at 637

This thread underscores the lunacy of the idea that the Bills can just let Levitre go and plug in a replacement like magic.

Agreed there. Schultz wasn't your prototypical safety but he could play. Jim Leonhard was a poor and tiny man's Schultz.

Shultz played lhe game like a hockey enforcer. Many players after being hit by Shultz would hear footsteps and not catch the ball. Use to watch with a friend at bar and I would tell him that a player was not going to catch a perfect throw when Shultz was in area and almost every game we would see it happen. Player would be concentrating on Shultz not ball.

Shultz played lhe game like a hockey enforcer. Many players after being hit by Shultz would hear footsteps and not catch the ball. Use to watch with a friend at bar and I would tell him that a player was not going to catch a perfect throw when Shultz was in area and almost every game we would see it happen. Player would be concentrating on Shultz not ball.

actually i remember that too. very serious physical presence

yeah punter is hard. but i remember spike jones and he certainly wasnt a great one. so why not, sounds good to me

i didnt think coy wire was that bad really. struggled in coverage thats for sure, but was a hard hitter and very sure tackler. cant beat out ko millions anyway

so at least we got a full roster now

id say the weakest of the bunch (meaning we should be able to find somebody worse) are M/ILB Degiorio (not terrible, very short career due to injury), and FS Travares Tillman (not very good but not awful)

should be able to come up with somebody worse than FB Booker Moore, too

Maybe Carwell gardner for FB?

If not him, then what about Daimon Shelton?

Gary Anderson, who laid down like a dog in training camp because he did not want to play for the Bills.

Imagine if Anderson lined up for that 47 yarder at the end of SB XXV, with everything else being equal??????????????????

When Anderson shanked that kick to lose the game in the NFC Championship game w/the Vikes, I stood up and said: YES!!!! THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!!!!

What goes around comes around........

Did he really tank training camp that year ? That is so hard to believe. Knox was coach at the time if I recall correctly and they hung on to him until the last cut hoping he'd get it together. If he tanked - I don't know how he could look at himself in the mirror!

Basing my suggestions on the promise they had and how actually disappointing they were - these guys just SUCKED!!: Walt Patulski, Maybin, Bill Enyart, Al Cowlings (tho I heard he's a good wheel-man!), Lonnie Johnson, Mike Williams, Perry Tuttle, James Hardy,

Boy . . . this is depressing!