Big Game Thread

NoSaint

Did anybody bring up why there was no holding called on the saftey play? I count two holding penalties... The earliest @ 11 seconds... Isn't that when the play should have stopped when the saftey was scored? Is that how it works? Or would there still have been 4 seconds. Now it might not mean anything but... The 49ers may have heaved one or who knows. Why was the punter allowed to give up the safety. The holding was when the safety was scored.

I don't want to weigh in on the quality of the refs last night; I spent the night catching up with my neighbors and not paying attention too closely. Except for Beyonce.

But I don't think the play would have stopped if the officials had recognized a hold. The only penalties that cause a play to be whistled dead are false start and when the D jumps and is unabated to the quarterback (or whatever that phrase is). Otherwise they throw the flags, let the play run, and then sort it out. So the outcome would have been precisely the same, time run off, two points for the 49ers, and a drop kick.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to weigh in on the quality of the refs last night; I spent the night catching up with my neighbors and not paying attention too closely. Except for Beyonce.

But I don't think the play would have stopped if the officials had recognized a hold. The only penalties that cause a play to be whistled dead are false start and when the D jumps and is unabated to the quarterback (or whatever that phrase is). Otherwise they throw the flags, let the play run, and then sort it out. So the outcome would have been precisely the same, time run off, two points for the 49ers, and a drop kick.

That is what I was thinking... BUT, a penalty in the endzone is a score. The flags should have flew... Two blantant holds. Anyway, on a play like that... Players are taught to purposely hold. Strange, still no hold call? Jim Harbaugh supposedly never got an answer?

Also, that horrendous spot for the Ravens... I was screaming @ the TV when the side judge came down the line all crooked for that spot. Right then and there, I started to like Jim Harbaugh and knew he was on his game when he called the challenge! That spot was so blantant it wasn't even funny!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Exactly. Nothing would be worse than to have the officials making crazy judgement calls to decide the Super Bowl.

You mean like the crazy "judgment call" they made when they decided to let blatant defensive holding go, and "decided" the game for the Ravens? Some see the glass half full, others see it half empty. ;-)

I think most here would agree that the DB (on that play) would be called for def. holding 99% of the time in any NFL game. To say that the NFL "lets'em play" during the playoffs now, is news to me, because they have never had that mindset before.

Yep. The flags still should have been thrown though, if only to show a measure of competence on the ref's part.

Yep. The flags still should have been thrown though, if only to show a measure of competence on the ref's part.

You are right. Especially important because of the chance that a penalty against the other team will not be overlooked.

You mean like the crazy "judgment call" they made when they decided to let blatant defensive holding go, and "decided" the game for the Ravens? Some see the glass half full, others see it half empty. ;-)

I think most here would agree that the DB (on that play) would be called for def. holding 99% of the time in any NFL game. To say that the NFL "lets'em play" during the playoffs now, is news to me, because they have never had that mindset before.

+1

NFL = NHL

:(

You are right. Especially important because of the chance that a penalty against the other team will not be overlooked.

Did you read that the league is giving Jim Harbaugh ZERO comment on why the @ least two blatant offensive line holdings were not called on the safety play. Hmmmm.

Replacement refs would have been better. These refs yestersday seemed nervous and made a ton of mistakes... Did you catch whent he head ref pointed in the wrong direction and then caught himself? You couold here the nervousness in his voice! What is there to be nervous about? "Pushing" the outcome can make one jumpy!

And some see it as two guys scrapping on a ballfield and don't want an over-officious jerk putting in his two cents on who's going to win it.

That was a great football game and part of it is because the refs stayed out of the way while the players decided it.

And some see it as two guys scrapping on a ballfield and don't want an over-officious jerk putting in his two cents on who's going to win it.

That was a great football game and part of it is because the refs stayed out of the way while the players decided it.

Yes. But that is not how the rules are applied. If it is against the rules, you HAVE to call it. Bush league anything else.

Nice spin. The refs were innvolved in this game from the opening snap... They had to be over-ruled on the extremely ergregious spot. Then they put their flags away for the last couple of plays! It is like a NHL game broke out in the Super Bowl!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

+1

+1

NFL = NHL

:(

Did you read that the league is giving Jim Harbaugh ZERO comment on why the @ least two blatant offensive line holdings were not called on the safety play. Hmmmm.

Replacement refs would have been better. These refs yestersday seemed nervous and made a ton of mistakes... Did you catch whent he head ref pointed in the wrong direction and then caught himself? You couold here the nervousness in his voice! What is there to be nervous about? "Pushing" the outcome can make one jumpy!

Please explain to me how throwing a flag on that safety would have changed the outcome of the play one iota.

+1

Please explain to me how throwing a flag on that safety would have changed the outcome of the play one iota.

I did in the other thread.

1. Another poster said they may have caused a fumble.

2. Get to the punter quicker and save time.

3. More time. Fair catch. Heave and get a D PI penalty.

4. Kick the tying field goal.

Which of those does the flag cause? Ravens knew the hold cost them nothing so they did it. They burned time, and made the play safer with no potential cost.

I honestly don't see what your point is. Your assuming away a hold actually occurring, which is irrelevant. Whether it gets called or not, the Ravens can still hold (the smart move), so they did. It wouldn't have mattered whether it was called or not because the result is the same - a safety - with the same amount of time taken off of the clock.

I honestly don't see what your point is. Your assuming away a hold actually occurring, which is irrelevant. Whether it gets called or not, the Ravens can still hold (the smart move), so they did. It wouldn't have mattered whether it was called or not because the result is the same - a safety - with the same amount of time taken off of the clock.

Agree to disagree. Not for the refs to decide. They have to trow the flags.

We'll never agree on this, I'm sure.

It is perfectly fine for Smith to chuck Crabtree within 5 yards. He did. The contact continued past the 5 yards and Smith was holding as Crabtree pushed him to the ground. The chuck disrupted the timing of the play as did the mutual hand-to-hand shoving that followed. No way was the ball that came out catchable. So, I think the refs got it right.

Lost in your point is that the 49ers had multiple point blank shots to win the game and came up with nothing. Sorry, you lost me on how the refs "stole" the game.