What to do with a teacher who is afraid of kids?

Beerball

I'm not really understanding the bashing of the teacher going on here. Sure, it may be an off the wall fear (no pun intended), but she does have a point with the ADA. I don't see how the teacher is at fault here.

She chose her profession?

Because this board, like most modern idiot parents, typically hates teachers. Cant win if youre a pedophile and cant win if youre a pedophobe, I guess.

!@#$ you !@#$. I started this thread and my wife has been a teacher for 20+ years. If you can't see the irony behind this woman's story then you are not too terribly bright.

I'm not really understanding the bashing of the teacher going on here. Sure, it may be an off the wall fear (no pun intended), but she does have a point with the ADA. I don't see how the teacher is at fault here.

I agree. She went into secondary education @ the high school level... There she should stay... Why are they bumping her down. NOW, I can see the other side of the argument w/regard to Jr./Middle school... Where does the teaching certificate cutoff...?? Between Primary and Secondary. That is where the issue lies.

IMO, it does seem they are retaliating against her (read the whole eliminating classes thing).

I hate dealing with car sales people. To the point that I may have the record for quickest sale because I hate dealing with them so much. I did see an ad for this dealership last night with their "no salesmen zone". That's the type of dealer I'd like.

Yes! Same here. That's why I bought my last 2 cars at CarMax. No haggling, no pressure from sales people. The Sales Associates are just there to help you test drive and find out more about the car, and process your paperwork should you decide to purchase.

Yes! Same here. That's why I bought my last 2 cars at CarMax. No haggling, no pressure from sales people. The Sales Associates are just there to help you test drive and find out more about the car, and process your paperwork should you decide to purchase.

Exactly! Or you walk in with cash... Say: "I will cut you a check right now, clean deal... I want that 45k (sticker) car for X amount (you can usually move 10-20% if not more!). They take it or you walk away. If they don't take what you want, try somewhere else... Even keep coming back and re-offering. Believe me, you will be surprised how much they will move on a car when you have cash on a barrel head! They will make a bad sale (on their part) almost always. Unfortunately, they will have to find a next poor sucker to recoup it...

I agree. She went into secondary education @ the high school level... There she should stay... Why are they bumping her down. NOW, I can see the other side of the argument w/regard to Jr./Middle school... Where does the teaching certificate cutoff...?? Between Primary and Secondary. That is where the issue lies.

IMO, it does seem they are retaliating against her (read the whole eliminating classes thing).

I'd agree with you that she should not expect to be transferred into a role involving young kids........................

if she were a tax attorney.

This is like a worker at McDonalds complaining he is afraid of potatoes and then acting surprised when he gets transferred to the French Fry division.

How about another approach to her "disability". GET OVER IT LOONY BIRD!!!!!!! They're little brats.

Edited by 4merper4mer

If she's truly phobic of younger kids, it should be reflected in her teaching license. If she's certified grades 6-12, and she's asked to teach 6th graders, accept the position or move on to another profession. This is a frivolous lawsuit and it brings all of us teachers a bad name.

I'd agree with you that she should not expect to be transferred into a role involving young kids........................

if she were a tax attorney.

This is like a worker at McDonalds complaining he is afraid of potatoes and then acting surprised when he gets transferred to the French Fry division.

How about another approach to her "disability". GET OVER IT LOONY BIRD!!!!!!! They're little brats.

Wow, way to flaunt your ignorance regarding both the Teaching profession AND mental health all in one post. Congrats!

If she's truly phobic of younger kids, it should be reflected in her teaching license. If she's certified grades 6-12, and she's asked to teach 6th graders, accept the position or move on to another profession. This is a frivolous lawsuit and it brings all of us teachers a bad name.

This I do agree with. It all depends on her license and education. But I dont know of many districts that would move a High School teacher to Elementary.

Edited by DrDareustein

I see your point. I am in the middle here. It takes two to tango. Are the "getting back @ her" to drive her out?

Wow, way to flaunt your ignorance regarding both the Teaching profession AND mental health all in one post. Congrats!

This I do agree with. It all depends on her license and education. But I dont know of many districts that would move a High School teacher to Elementary.

Same here... It does depend on her certification and license. Agree.

Reading the article shows that she was moved to a Jr. High.

Ohio has 2 certifications Elementary and Secondary.

Ignorance of the teaching profession? At least I know it involves kids. Apparently that was news to her.

The article said nothing about her seeking mental health assistance for her phobia. I'm sure there are limitless funds for that since it is off the public trough. Instead she just acts surprised that there are kids in a school. It's like joining the Army to be a paratrooper and then suing them because you're afraid of heights. :wacko:

They would move a 12th grade teacher to 1st grade if she did what was stated that she did in discussing the budget rumors with parents, provided she was certified to teach 1st grade.

Honestly, say someone was hired and didn't have a disability (phobia, sleep disorder, what not...) then after many years develop the disorder because of the job? What happens? With a phobia, shouldn't they lessen it and still keep them employed. Say they develop lung cancer because of an on the job hazard? I mentioned shift work sleep disorder? What should be done?

They would move a 12th grade teacher to 1st grade if she did what was stated that she did in discussing the budget rumors with parents, provided she was certified to teach 1st grade.

She was foreign language. Foreign language doesn't start @ the grade one level (usually)... They bucked her down the lowest they could go.