Bleacher Report: Value free agents for Bills

buckeyemike

Both awful options.

Not sure how either fits analytics. My gut says cribbs is precisely the opposite as returns are being minimized. And chase is bad at qb.

I'm chalking "analytics" up with "character" for words many on this board have no concept of how they will be used but will be tossed around constantly.

Edited by NoSaint

Well, here are the PFF grades on these players:

1) Josh Cribbs: Was only involved in 61 offensive snaps for the Browns, and got a +1.9 grade. He actually received a -0.9 grade for pass catching, and his +1.0 for rushing and +.0.9 for run blocking is not exactly what you would get him for, considering we already ahve one of those players in Brad Smith. Also, his PR/KR grades on special teams are basically offset by McKelvin on both KR and PR and by Brad Smith on KR...

My Verdict: Thanks, but No Thanks

2) Chase Daniel: really nothing to go on, as he only took 13 snaps this year and 43 last year.

My Verdict: No opinion

3) Delanie Walker: +6.3 grade overall, but where he really excels is in run blocking, getting a grade of +10.7, finishing as the 2nd best blocking TE in the NFL this year next to Matt Spaeth in Chicago(+10.9). His -5.6 Pass Catching grade was the 3rd lowest in the NFL however, only ahead of Brandon Pettigrew -10.1(how far has he fell), and Kellen Davis -10.9 in Chicago. He would be a perfect compliment to Scott Chandler, who is a better pass catching TE but an average to below average blocker, in a 2 TE set, he would replace Lee Smith, who himself, is not that great of a run blocker either.

My Verdict: Absolutely, would be a perfect compliment to Scott Chandler and is a terrific run blocker for a TE.

4) Phillip Wheeler: Wheeler was the 6th highest graded 4-3 OLB by PFF with a +9.9 overall grade. He would take over playing time for Nigel Bradham, which I am not sure I like, as I think Bradham has the chance to be very good in this new scheme. Wheeler got a very good pass rush grade at +8.6, second only to Denver's Von Miller astounding +51.4 pass rushing grade. He is also solid in coverage, receiving a +5.1 grade, which ranked him 5th in the NFL directly behind Bryan Scott, who was ranked 4th in coverage at +5.5. He is not a good run stopper however(-1.7 run stopping grade), which I guess would make him a compliment to Nick Barnett, who received good run stopper grades(+6.4--7th in the NFL), but a poor pass rushing grade(-4.0). Wheeler also was the 6th worst rated OLB at taking penalties at -2.1...so in effect we would be getting a very good pass rushing OLB that is god in coverage, but who is not good against the run and who takes a lot of penalties. Wheeler had 3 sacks, 14 QB hits, and 13 QB hurries, compared to Barnett's 2 sacks, 0 QB hits and 3 QB hurries. Wheeler and Barnett both had similar number of "stops" solo defensive plays consituting and offensive failure inclusing sacks with Barnett having 46(tied for 11th in the NFL with Lance Briggs) and Wheeler having 44(14th in the NFL). Wheeler had the 2nd most QB hits in he NFL next to Von Miller's 15, and the 4th most QB hurries in the NFL behind Miller, Kiwanuka, and Lavonte David(TB).

My Verdict: Looks like he would be a good fit, and would really add some pass rush coming from the OLB, especially if he was on the same side as Mario. However, Bradham really was coming on late in the year, getting a +4.8 overall grade in his last 4 games and was a good run defender, getting a +3.0 grade in the same time frame. However, he was non-existant in the pass rush and was just an average pass coverer. So its possible Bradham could be turning into a very good player and would have playing time taken away, unless he was moved to MLB where Sheppard really struggled in run support....

Edited by matter2003