4 Real Top 5 ?

T master

Every year if you listen to the EXPERTS they give their take on the best that are coming out in the next draft class & in a lot of what they say i wonder how you can be this supposed EXPERT on football & see what they see.

Last year they all said Wilson was not a "PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB" which i get it . He's not 6' 4" & 240 to that i say SO WHAT ! They said he would never be an elite QB which if i remember correctly there is a post somewhere on this site stating the same thing. So much for that analogy !! And Brees might have something to say about that too.

This year there again the EXPERTS have put out a list of their top 5 QB's coming into this years draft. This may be a top 5 college QB list but i don't believe it to be a top 5 NFL list !! Here they are.

1) Geno Smith - great QB to play in Miami or San Diego showed nothing in bad weather ! Forget B/LO !

2) Matt Barkley - What if anything has the past 3 QB's from USC done for you lately ? For me NOTHING !

3) Mike Glennon - Besides being a PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB he has not shown anything but a big arm & the ability to make bad decisions in a big game or a regular game for all that matters. A Project QB to say the least...

4)Tyler Wilson - Admittedly didn't take the next step mired in the Petrino scandal. But if you use the Parcells NFL QB requirement list he with his decent college career could be considered a top 5 prospect this year given what's out there.

5) E.J. Manuel - Don't know much about this guy all's i saw was his bowl game, need i say more ? His play must have been better to get them to a bowl game but i wouldn't know.

The others mentioned after these guys some i can't really say. Nassib i know won his bowl game by embarrassing Geno Smith & crew which is another knock against Smith in my view, but have not seen on any youtube stuff on the kid what all the talk is about. Did see some mediocre play on youtube though.

This guy is a top NFL QB in my eyes, of coarse i have glasses but that's beyond, behind or beside the point which ever way you see it...

My guy the one that i am hanging my hat on IF he comes out this year is Taj Boyd ! He proved in his bowl game what he is made of ! Tougher than nails can take a hit, never quits till it's over, great play in the clutch when it counts, very mobile able to keep play alive & can get yards on his own when a play breaks down, Good arm strength can make all the throws good accuracy, & by his performance alone leads by example. The Bills best QB choice !!

Then the thought of a all Clemson back field with him & CJ back there. D coordinators would have night mares over that duo ! Bring in Boyds WR too and you have the compliment to SJ we need scary !!

Blast away Bills fans !!

Edited by T master

you prefer the statues who throw INT's?

I prefer not to cream my pants over a single bowl game like so many here do. It leads to countless threads about severely over drafting a QB that they just watched for the first time.

There isn't really a guy that is head and shoulders better than the other QB prospects. The one thing I do know is that we desperately need a young QB.

I do not like Murray. Nor am I crazy about Boyd.

Geno Smith shows the most potential but even he is somewhat of a project. He is the only guy I would feel good about drafting 8th overall.

Edited by Bangarang

I prefer not to cream my pants over a single bowl game like so many here do. It leads to countless threads about severely over drafting a QB that they just watched for the first time.

There isn't really a guy that is head and shoulders better than the other QB prospects. The one thing I do know is that we desperately need a young QB.

I do not like Murray. Nor am I crazy about Boyd.

Geno Smith shows the most potential but even he is somewhat of a project. He is the only guy I would feel good about drafting 8th overall.

What i was meaning in my post was that of all the QB's listed this year with a good QB coach & staff, add in Boyds intangibles or what ever you call it given what we all saw he would be a better prospect for the Bills b/c of what i listed in my post.

Sure he's not a Andrew Luck or RG3 but we could draft a whole lot worse !! Given what is out there !!

Edited by T master

I don't see a QB in this draft that I would draft in the first two rounds. Personally, I would prefer offering a third round pick to Carolina for Jimmy Claussen and take my chances that he developed a bit over the last couple years.

I have a feeling that the best option for this team would be to draft one of these guys without having to reach for one, and bring in a guy like Alex Smith to compete for the job. These guys may not be "NFL ready" but they can develop. At the start of this season, Wilson was competing in Seattle. He wasn't just given the job. I know there aren't exactly a ton of QBs floating around in FA that are going to bring this team to a championship but there are a few who could come in and be a stop gap while a young guy develops. I know that isn't the ideal situation and many won't like the idea but the fact is with a new coach and staff, there is bound to be some roster turnover and some growing pains anyway. We might as well expect it now and be realistic.

That said, I watched Murray for a bit and liked some things but I also saw him make some terrible decisions.

Boyd looked like a hungry guy who is eager to work and wants to win. Still rough around the edges but again, all of these college QBs are less than ideal. I will just have to (can't believe I will say this) trust the guys in charge to make the right decision... :bag:

I agree completely about Boyd and Murray being the best QBs in this class. Murray is my top choice, though I believe he is staying in school. I posted in another thread about drafting Boyd in the 1st and DeAndre Hopkins in the 2nd. Really would want Chip Kelly to run this offense.

my pants were creamed over a whole season of Clemson ball FWIW.....i hear you on some though.....i think he has "it"

Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know a couple former Bills season ticket holders who moved to the Clemson region and are now huge Tigers fans and dont want the guy.

Think the bottomline with QBs and this board is that all of our differing opinions are based in our own mental constructions of what "makes" an NFL caliber QB and in be last 13 years what doesn't. Some hate inaccuracy because Fitz so thy envision a highly accurate QB. Other hated the statuesque Bledsoe and love the Mobility of RGIII and deem any QB that is not that mobile as a statue. Others like the big arms, again from dealing with Fitz and Capt. Checkdown and don't want someone like Barkley.

What I'm saying is, we know squat about how to pick one!

I agree completely about Boyd and Murray being the best QBs in this class. Murray is my top choice, though I believe he is staying in school. I posted in another thread about drafting Boyd in the 1st and DeAndre Hopkins in the 2nd. Really would want Chip Kelly to run this offense.

Murray is pretty bad against good ranked teams in his college career. His stats against those teams are pretty bad. But he's the top QB choice?

Drafting Boyd in the 1st round? Really? Words can't describe how monumentally terrible that would be. That's worse than Gabbert, Ponder and Locker all going in the top 12.

Edited by Bangarang

Assuming Boyd and Murray come out, here is the order of how I believe the most prominent QBs will be drafted:

1. Smith

2. Murray

3. Wilson

4. Barkley

5. Glennon

6. Jones

7. Boyd

8. Bray

9. Dysert

10. Nassib

11. Manuel

Here's how succesful I believe they would be in the NFL

1. Murray

2. Jones

3. Boyd

4. Barkley

5. Wilson

6. Smith

7. Glennon

8. Nassib

9. Dysert

10. Bray

11. Manuel

Murray, Jones, and Boyd will be the only ones to have any significant impact. The rest will either never become a starter or be unsuccessful. Just my opinion.

Just because the hype is not there this year doesn't mean the franchise QB isn't. I guarantee you 3 or 4 starters come out of this draft. I don't know the prospects that well yet, but since the Bills need QBs and they are SO important, take 2. Cut Fitz and the remaining non-answers on the roster. Or keep him and crazy glue a clipboard to his hands. Maybe he would have value for game planning, etc.

I can respect what you're saying about experts, their opinions, prototypical NFL QB, etc.

I do like the idea of a mobile QB who can make plays with his legs when need be.

That said, I don't want a guy who relies on his legs, too quick to scramble or puts himself at risk.

I don't know much about Boyd. But I do believe he would be a stretch in the first round at best. I think it would be a wasted pick. I agree with a lot of people on here about beefing up our defense in the first couple rounds and then trying to land a QB who we can build around later in the draft, or possibly next year.

Just because the hype is not there this year doesn't mean the franchise QB isn't. I guarantee you 3 or 4 starters come out of this draft. I don't know the prospects that well yet, but since the Bills need QBs and they are SO important, take 2. Cut Fitz and the remaining non-answers on the roster. Or keep him and crazy glue a clipboard to his hands. Maybe he would have value for game planning, etc.

you are wildly optimistic, the truth is you take the 10-12 QBs people are talking about and on an average draft one will be better than Fitz, one will be equal or worse than Fitz and the rest will be career back-ups or out of the NFL

2005- Aaron Rodgers

2006 - Jay Cutler

2007 - nothing

2008- Matt Ryan Joe Flacco

2009- Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman

2010- Sam Bradford, Tebow, John Skelton

2011- Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Chistian Ponder Dalton, Colin Kaepernick

2012- Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson

Those in red haven't been proven busts but that's the way I'd bet

2012 was a very good year for QBs and Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden,would all be rated higher than the best QB this year, Wilson is a lucky freak pick just like Brady .

I agree with people who say Fitz isn't good enough but don't think you can't do worse than Fitz we can very easily do worse than Fitz in fact I'd say the odds of the QB replacing Fitz being worse are higher than the QB replacing Fitz being better.

Edited by ....lybob