Poll next head coach

JinWPB

New coach.Choose wisely young Padawan.  

324 members have voted

1. 1. New head coach should be.

Bruce Arians because his offences at Pittsburgh and Indy have been different and they adjust well to personnel.

Why Chip Kelly? His system works in college but would it work in the NFL? He has zero NFL experience.

it works already.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Underachives every year, no thanks, we just had a coach like that.

I'm not advocating for him as head coach but your definition of underachieves must be set to a pretty high standard.

2004: 5-11

2005: 11-5

2006: 13-3

2007: 7-9

2008: 9-7

2009: 7-9

2010: 11-5

2011: 8-8

2012: 10-6

81-63 career record. I would take that span of a record for the Bills compared to the last 8 years we've had.

Edited by The Wiz

I'm not advocating for him as head coach but your definition of underachieves must be set to a pretty high standard.

2004: 5-11

2005: 11-5

2006: 13-3

2007: 7-9

2008: 9-7

2009: 7-9

2010: 11-5

2011: 8-8

2012: 10-6

81-63 career record. I would take that span of a record for the Bills compared to the last 8 years we've had.

ONE playoff appearance in SIX seasons.

About the only thing I have against Lovie is how the Bears fell apart down the stretch two years in a row. Last year, they lost Cutler to injury and they didn't recover. They lost him for a few games again this year and looked horrible without him. Bad stretch runs when you're in line for the playoffs really are a killer.

Yea I know. Dismiss the other 2 years of his coaching career because he was in the playoffs in those.

Three playoff appearances on his resume and one was the super bowl. And that was also the year following he took over a Dick Jauron team.

Edited by The Wiz

There do appear to be several seasons of mediocrity with Lovie's record, but a few things that should be taken into consideration: Jerry Angelo is an obstacle at the GM position; the roster is in decline, agewise; Lovie's best season returned the Bears to the Super Bowl despite Rex Grossman at QB.

I don't have particularly strong feelings for Lovie Smith, but I do think he'd be an excellent caretaker to return the franchise to respectability. I do not think he is the type of transformative new mind I'd like to see take the Bills into the future, but I think he's had some success in a tough division despite many organizational obstacles.

Yea I know. Dismiss the other 2 years of his coaching career because he was in the playoffs in those.

Three playoff appearances on his resume and one was the super bowl. And that was also the year following he took over a Dick Jauron team.

Yes, dismiss what he did almost a decade ago. Thats basic operating procedure. If that didn't happen, Andy Reid would still have a job.

What have you done for me lately? I'll tell ya. ONE playoff appearance in SIX seasons.

It's an impressive list BUT, how many of them would really consider coming to Buffalo?

It's home for most of us, and no doubt we'd jump at such an opportunity, but attracting pro-level experienced coaching candidates has been a hard sell in the past.

It doesn't appear to be an issue as in 2009: Whisenhunt and Ray Horton are being interviewed tomorrow and Lovie Smith has already expressed (confirmed) interest in the job. According to WGR, 20-25 coaches have contacted the Bills with interest--- who they are exactly isn't known, aside from Lovie.

The options don't appear to be limited.

He has THREE winning seasons and FIVE losing seasons. Thats almost DOUBLE the losing seasons as winning seasons. But even more than that, FOUR of his last SIX seasons were LOSING seasons.

Are you dyslexic or a troll? If it's the former, I'm sorry to interpret your tone deaf post the wrong way. Lovie has five winning seasons, three losing seasons, and one at .500. Two of the worst, losing seasons are as good as anything the Bills have had since 2004, and the first was Lovie's very first - you know, the one you cite in your ridiculous cherry-picked dossier of 2003-2004 declines.

Yes, dismiss what he did almost a decade ago. Thats basic operating procedure. If that didn't happen, Andy Reid would still have a job.

What have you done for me lately? I'll tell ya. ONE playoff appearance in SIX seasons.

ONE playoff appearance in SIX seasons compared to ZERO playoff appearances in THIRTEEN seasons.

TWO losing seasons in SIX years compared to ONE winning season in THIRTEEN seasons.

But since you are dismissing the stats then the Bills are looking good as is. You're worried about playoffs. I'm just looking for a winning season.

Overall for me the best choice is Bruce Arians. I'm not going to pretend that I can give all the necessary supporting reasons why but here is my justification: . He is current/relevant and took a team who he stepped in for mid-stream and led them to an outstanding record on the heels of a miserable season. Of course Andrew Luck was a big part of the equation, but still with Luck being a rookie their was probably a heavy dependence on sound leadership & judgement that Bruce Arians was able to provide for the rookie. Bruce Arians performed under great pressure as the story about him filling in for an ailing coach was a national story that was closely watched. The NFL is always evolving and even some of the coaches who have been out of the NFL have become dinosaurs in a sense in the NFL landscape. I really like Bill Cowher as a coach and I respect him, but I am not convinced that his strengths would convey into the pass oriented NFL of today. Even though Jon Gruden has had some success in the NFL He usually developed only marginal talent at the QB position despite being considered an expert at evaluating quarterbacks. Jon Gruden actually projected great things for Tim Tebow and it appears that he missed the boat on that one. I would welcome Gruden and Cowher for an ever ailing Buffalo Bills team with one eye open that these two coaches can still perform up to their previous standards. I also like Andy Reid, but I am not convinced that he is not burned out and on the decline? I think that Wade Phillips is a better coordinator than Head Coach, Ken Whisenhut makes some rather bad judgement calls and I just don't care for him for the Bills. I don't know enough about Chip Kelly to give an opinion, but he sounds like a potential option according to others. Lovie Smith would make a helluva defensive coordinator for the Bills, but I'm not interested in him as a head coach. Well there are plenty of other options, and I hope the Bills don't stay close to people they know and hire Perry Fewell as I don't think that he's ready to be a head coach, and he had a bad year as a defensive coordinator. Norv Turner never impressed me that much and I hope we stay clear...I don't know that Syracuse's coach is quite ready for the position of NFL head coach, but maybe as an offensive coordinator? Anyway, this is my take, it may be right or wrong, but for me I'd go with Bruce Arians if the possibility exists

I just don't think that Buffalo will be looking for a strong silent type head coach like Lovie Smith. After Gailey and Jauron, I think someone like Smith's style is too similar to those head coaches and they want bigger change this time around.

I voted for Mike McCoy, but I'm very interested in the Syracuse head coach and Horton (who's name wasn't even listed).

Edited by 1billsfan

Cowher will be the next head coach of the Bills :thumbsup:

I dunno man.

Cowher would want some control over who gets drafted and gets brought in during free agency. Plus, the Bills would need to pay him upwards of 8 mill per.

Besides, who would want a fiery blue collar kinda HC that knows who to hire as assistants, knows talent when he sees it, and knows how to win.

It's an impressive list BUT, how many of them would really consider coming to Buffalo?

It's home for most of us, and no doubt we'd jump at such an opportunity, but attracting pro-level experienced coaching candidates has been a hard sell in the past.

WGR has learned more than 2 dozen coaches have already contracted the Bills to express interest in the position.

The fans and the local press are big negatives but not enough when competing for a job with only 32 total jobs available and not all open up every year.

I dont understand the Lovie Smith love. The guy is a loser.

Based on what? Smith won three division titles with the Bears, reached the Super Bowl and was the NFL’s coach of the year for the 2005 season. He has a winning record in 9 years as a head coach (91-63). In what Universe does that add up to being a loser?