(LAMP)Automotive ....again

The Poojer

No, I've never done it myself, but I assume it's easy, or at least simple.

1st, I believe the term O2 sensor is somewhat of a misnomer, as I think it's actually a temperature sensor in the exhaust. (The temp of your exhaust varies as the 'completeness' of the combustion)

There should be just a simple sensor screwed into the front part of your exhaust somewhere. (Whether or not you need a special tool to remove it or not, how rusty & difficult it is to dislodge or if you need to remove anything else to provide access is another story.)

No, I've never done it myself, but I assume it's easy, or at least simple.

1st, I believe the term O2 sensor is somewhat of a misnomer, as I think it's actually a temperature sensor in the exhaust.  (The temp of your exhaust varies as the 'completeness' of the combustion)

There should be just a simple sensor screwed into the front part of your exhaust somewhere.  (Whether or not you need a special tool to remove it or not, how rusty & difficult it is to dislodge or if you need to remove anything else to provide access is another story.)

194203[/snapback]

No, it's not a thermocouple which delivers data in response to resistance differentials based on temperation. The OXS produces EMF dependent upon the exhaust stream's oxygen environment as referenced against a competing ambient circuit's ability, and feeds that differential info into the engine management system to optimize mass air flow, fuel delivery, and spark/valve durations, and crank angle (which is related to the burn duration of the charge introduced into the cylinder)

http://home.flash.net/~lorint/lorin/fuel/lambda.htm

IIRC, the recent V6 Chrysler vans have 2 OXS', 1 each before and after the catalytic membrane. While you're down there skinning your knuckles, it pays to replace both. The upstream one is the usual problem child. And buy replacements with the factory leads and plugs unless you like to splice things.

No, it's not a thermocouple which delivers data in response to resistance differentials based on temperation. The OXS produces EMF dependent upon the exhaust stream's oxygen environment as referenced against a competing ambient circuit's ability, and feeds that differential info into the engine management system to optimize mass air flow, fuel delivery, and spark/valve durations, and crank angle (which is related to the burn duration of the charge introduced into the cylinder)

Thanks Stuck. Fascinating. I based my assumpion on the fact that on some small planes, you have an Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge, which based on the readings, you regulate fuel mixture (& manifold pressure on 'complex' planes).

Thanks Stuck.  Fascinating.  I based my assumpion on the fact that on some small planes, you have an Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge, which based on the readings, you regulate fuel mixture (& manifold pressure on 'complex' planes).

194362[/snapback]

Absolutely a good assumption. EGT is vital to aviation motor control, from a Lycoming piston motor to a jet fighter and has a role in many industrial combustion processes, and is very important management tool in the recent increased use of piston engine turbocharging applications - which is very much the wave of in future automotive powerplants. It has to do with an insurmountable wall known as swept volume of a given cylinder. With all the efficiency of modern intake systems, valve controlling, etc, you still are limited by an air/fuel ratio that will combust. Chemically, it's called stoichiometry - and a larger cylinder capacity (swept volume) will always require a greater volume of air and therefore more fuel.

There is a LOT about this subject... :D

On any car that I've worked on, the only pain in the ass is finding it and getting clearance with a wrench. It is generally easy to remove...you might need to hose it down with WD-40 or the like beforehand though.

Absolutely a good assumption.  EGT is vital to aviation motor control, from a Lycoming piston motor to a jet fighter and has a role in many industrial combustion processes, and is very important management tool in the recent increased use of piston engine turbocharging applications - which is very much the wave of the future in automotive powerplants.

194376[/snapback]

Pretty cold here, raining too.