2013 Salary Cap Set Just Below $121 & Franchise Tag Info

SBUffalo

So it looks like the salary cap will remain essentially the same.

And am I correct that someone recently pointed out that it won't be until next year that teams will be required to spend at least 89% of the cap?

Finally I think that even after the Mario Williams signing that the Bills had about $7 million in cap space although I could be wrong.

So in order to improve the team, they're gonna have to get rid of some veteran salaries which aren't good values:

I would say Kelsay, Spencer Johnson, T. McGee, Thigpen, and others.

I actually like Brad Smith as a football player but not as a wildcat QB. I honestly think he could be an outstanding WR.

Of course if there's a regime change, there could be more sweeping changes than the ones I mentioned.

Not sure why you think Brad Smith could be an outstanding wideout. I think he makes too much money on a team that needs positions such as linebacker. Terrence Mcgee's contract was restructured so that the team is protected in case of injury and is a salary cap friendly one. So They might consider keeping him, hoping he can get back to good health. Kelsey, Johnson and Thigpen are probably gone along with others. I will say this about Kelsey though...the coaches, for whatever reason seem to like him.

That's right.

There's this naive assumption that you can just let people walk and take their money and invest it into different players and get the same or better value.

Byrd and Levitre are close enough to the best at their position that you are not likely to re-allocate that money and get the same value.

More likely the team will get worse if they spend that money elsewhere.

Completely agree on this point.

I can not believe the people on here that have said that they would be fine with letting Levitre walk. With their rationalization being "Offensive Guards are easy to replace".

When was the last time we had an OG as good as Levitre?

The Bills should do everything to keep both Byrd & Levitre.