Average of 85 gun deaths each day in US

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are approximately 6,744 deaths in the US per day.

There’s one area, however, in which the Facebook post could have benefited from additional context. It says that "nearly 100,000 people get shot every year," which to us suggests that a victim is being shot by someone else. In reality, a significant majority of gun deaths comes from self-inflicted firearm wounds.

If you ignore the suicides -- and if you assume that relatively few people survive a suicide attempt with a firearm (we couldn’t find any hard data on that question) -- then the number of people who got shot, either fatally or non-fatally, was about 86,000, or roughly 235 a day. That’s lower than the Facebook post indicated. And the daily number of firearm deaths would be substantially lower -- 35 per day, rather than the 87 cited in the Facebook post.

http://www.politifac...book-post-says/

Heart disease being far and away the number one cause.

Edited by B-Man

On the flip side, Lanza still was mentally unstable enough to do the deed. So instead of assault rifles, he has regular rifles and pistols and kills half as many. Is that better?

um....yes it is. especially if you are a parent of one of the children spared. 5-10 killed is better than 20.

So the issue is limiting the damage, not preventing it? Armed guards would do that.

they didn't do it in colorado, did they. and i'm not at all surprised by your absolutist take...we can't stop all terrible events with this intervention (gun control) so it shouldn't be considered. but more guns? that wont prevent them all either but that's where we should go...

So the issue is limiting the damage, not preventing it? Armed guards would do that.

So the answer is always more guns not less? And armed guards are wholly trustworthy too right? Just ask the families of the 13 dead soldiers gunned down by a guard at fort hood

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

So the answer is always more guns not less? And armed guards are wholly trustworthy too right? Just ask the families of the 13 dead soldiers gunned down by a guard at fort hood

Come on now, there were no "good guys with guns" at Fort Hood who were trained and prepared to stop such a thing. If there were more guns at Fort Hood, it never would have happened.

Come on now, there were no "good guys with guns" at Fort Hood who were trained and prepared to stop such a thing. If there were more guns at Fort Hood, it never would have happened.

Can you believe this now the idiot NRA are working to have their members volunteer as the armed guards at school. Talk about fox guarding the henhouse. If I had kids in schools in US I'd pull them out if that happens. For the love of god when will this NRA madness end

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

You need to get your facts straight. Major Hasan was an Army psychiatrist who killed 13 people and injured 29. He was shot and arrested by Army Police officers, preventing more tragedy. He was not a "guard". The notion that he could come on base and kill or injure that many people was ridiculous because it is a military base is wrong. Other than the police, service members are not usually armed while on a domestic base. You and Greg can quit washing each others balls now.

so, few on a military base have personal or military supplied weapons available? i ask cuz i really don't know.

lapierre made a fool of himself on meet the press. just saw it. he's just lost most of the rest of the american public's support for nra.

so, few on a military base have personal or military supplied weapons available? i ask cuz i really don't know.

lapierre made a fool of himself on meet the press. just saw it. he's just lost most of the rest of the american public's support for nra.

No you don't. Unless you're undergoing some kind of actual live ammo training most of the time your weapon is secured in the armory. It's actually illegal to carry personal weapons on a military base. Only MP's carry fulltime.

They are not in a war zone and don't carry weapons around everyday. The police are the only ones with weapons.

You need to get your facts straight. Major Hasan was an Army psychiatrist who killed 13 people and injured 29. He was shot and arrested by Army Police officers, preventing more tragedy. He was not a "guard". The notion that he could come on base and kill or injure that many people was ridiculous because it is a military base is wrong. Other than the police, service members are not usually armed while on a domestic base. You and Greg can quit washing each others balls now.

Has nothing to do with what his profession was. Has everything to do with the ridiculously shortsighted (and false) statement that the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Clearly did not work that way in Fort Hood or Columbine. But carry on.