Stephon Gilmore is becomming a shutdown corner in Buffalo

Donald Duck

Thanks for the post Fig.

I agree with the article. I think Gilmore is doing amazing considering this is his rookie year.

I think he will be a multiple Pro Bowler in the years to come.

CBF

Your very welcome,

Highly talented players/new additions like Stephon Gilmore and Mario Williams will help keep our current team/Coaching staff/management together and on the right path going into the future.

I Billieve...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those stats would be really meaningful if he followed the number 1 around the field playing straight man on him but.... From what I've seen, and I haven't gotten big into the last few games (it's been great for my blood pressure!) but we play zone a decent amount, we don't assign players specifically, and without context the #1 WR stat linw reflects well on our team as opposed to one player because of that.

I think he has a lot of potential though.

I agree that he does not seem to fit into a zone scheme. I think he should be in the pocket of the WR at all times pressing him at the line. Most of the time I see him in press coverage, he seems to be confident and in the right place. As you said, when he's in a zone he almost looks like a lost puppy. Coaches should put players in a position to succeed, not in a position to fail.

1. Keep going, and don't let others bring you down. The article may need a lot of work, but at least the attempt is noteworthy- as TR said:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

2. If you all are going to knock him, at least give him some criticism that is beneficial and not just say "don't post his links here".

3. Objectivity is the key... I'd say to Talbot that you have to ensure that your loyalties don't bleed too much into your writing. :)

1. Keep going, and don't let others bring you down. The article may need a lot of work, but at least the attempt is noteworthy- as TR said:

2. If you all are going to knock him, at least give him some criticism that is beneficial and not just say "don't post his links here".

3. Objectivity is the key... I'd say to Talbot that you have to ensure that your loyalties don't bleed too much into your writing. :)

i think, and trying not to speak for others too much, that this isnt a new issue thats rubbed people the wrong way. I appreciate his efforts for sure but i get why people would be tiring of it. Hopefully he grows and it turns into something he loves that he can do for some extra change in his pocket even - definitely not trying to rain on any parades.

i know hes read the thread though, and id be curious to here his take on the looooong list of meaningful questions that i posted early on. until he can do that, i dont know that the links necessarily have a spot here, but im no mod and i know this has been a well discussed issue and it seems they are ok with it. in the meantime when he posts, i will probably continue to prod a bit for extra information.

Edited by NoSaint

i think, and trying not to speak for others too much, that this isnt a new issue thats rubbed people the wrong way. I appreciate his efforts for sure but i get why people would be tiring of it. Hopefully he grows and it turns into something he loves that he can do for some extra change in his pocket even - definitely not trying to rain on any parades.

i know hes read the thread though, and id be curious to here his take on the looooong list of meaningful questions that i posted early on. until he can do that, i dont know that the links necessarily have a spot here, but im no mod and i know this has been a well discussed issue and it seems they are ok with it. in the meantime when he posts, i will probably continue to prod a bit for extra information.

Again, If everyone's likes and dislikes were the same the world would be a boring place don't you think.

Damond Talbot can not be all things for all people and If I as a poster see an article on one of our players and would like to post it why does moderation even come into question?

Perhaps you know something I don't,

SDS , Mods, If theres a problem here, by all means, let me know...

Again, If everyone's likes and dislikes were the same the world would be a boring place don't you think.

Damond Talbot can not be all things for all people and If I as a poster see an article on one of our players and would like to post it why does moderation even come into question?

Perhaps you know something I don't,

SDS , Mods, If theres a problem here, by all means, let me know...

i think its been a discussion of him promoting his own articles - weve had drama with that in the past with other people. i think he fell on the side of active enough in the community to get away with it. weve had many other amateur writers that would push stuff that didnt live up to the mods standards.

the old "if you have something to say, come say it dont tell me to go to your site to find out about it" especially if the content is lackluster.

im pretty sure Damond is on the good side though with regards to that standard. im not official so dont take my word as gold, just something ive seen through the years.

Edited by NoSaint

i think its been a discussion of him promoting his own articles - weve had drama with that in the past with other people. i think he fell on the side of active enough in the community to get away with it. weve had many other amateur writers that would push stuff that didnt live up to the mods standards.

the old "if you have something to say, come say it dont tell me to go to your site to find out about it" especially if the content is lackluster.

im pretty sure Damond is on the good side though with regards to that standard. im not official so dont take my word as gold, just something ive seen through the years.

I understand...

Gilmore is already the best cb on the team at least since McGee was in his prime. Maybe going back to Clements or Edwards.

All this as a rook. Stay tuned, this guy has got it all, speed, athleticism, chip, desire, aptitude. When he rarely get beat and his guy drops the ball he's slapping his own head not doing a dance..

Gilmore is going to have his own island real soon..

Agreed! Revis went through the same scrutiny his rookie season before he go his own island

Stepfon Gilmore is the latest member of the Buffalo Bills list of first round busts which already includes McGahee, Dareus, Clements, Winfield, Mike Williams, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin, Whitner, Losman, Flowers, and Evans. The Bills also traded first round picks for Bledsoe and Losman. Spiller is a player, but when they drafted him they didn't need him. Gilmore's pass interference penalty on Reggie Wayne lost the Indianapolis Colts game for the Bills. Gilmore also got worked by the St. Louis Rams receivers. They should have picked Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd with the GIlmore pick.

Stepfon Gilmore is the latest member of the Buffalo Bills list of first round busts which already includes McGahee, Dareus, Clements, Winfield, Mike Williams, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin, Whitner, Losman, Flowers, and Evans. The Bills also traded first round picks for Bledsoe and Losman. Spiller is a player, but when they drafted him they didn't need him. Gilmore's pass interference penalty on Reggie Wayne lost the Indianapolis Colts game for the Bills. Gilmore also got worked by the St. Louis Rams receivers. They should have picked Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd with the GIlmore pick.

Wait... wait... wait... wait... wait... wait... wait... wait...

Clements, Lynch, and Evans WERE NOT BUSTS!!!! That is absolute nonsense... just because Clements left as a FA, Lynch didn't grow up right away, and Evans had no QB to throw him the damn ball with regularity don't make them busts! Ugh. If we based the idea of "busts" by your logic, half the Bills greats who suffered through countless bad seasons would also be busts...

Damond Talbot has made his share of mistakes. But he's still a rookie. Hopefully with time he'll evolve into a shutdown writer. The kind of writer you can put on an island against the other team's best editor, and have things come out okay.

Definitely has had some flags for his aggressive play and gotten beat by some players he shouldn't have but it seems he has a short memory and puts it behind him.

Definitely has had some flags for his aggressive play and gotten beat by some players he shouldn't have but it seems he has a short memory and puts it behind him.

Making the transition from a college writer to a professional is hard. In college, you can get away with a lot of little mistakes. In the pros, the other team's editor will ruthlessly exploit every little error.

Another change is the speed of the game. A writing assignment which would have been allocated three or four days in college will be required in just one day in the pros. Just because a writer is successful at the college level does not necessarily mean he'll be successful as a professional.

That being said, most successful professional writers are not good enough to be considered shutdown writers. Perhaps that's where Damond Talbot's future lies--perhaps he'll have a good career as a nickel or dime writer, without ever being quite good enough to crack the starting lineup.

One of the features that Gilmore brings is his confidence. Pretty impressive really.

Bills give the biggest opposing threat usually, to cover.

I prefer aggressive, he is sending a message to the offense.

Sure he could tone it down a tad.

But man on man, i love the kid. Still has a big upside as he gets to know these premier WR's better.

Some of his adjustments while running amazed me.

go bills

One of the features that Gilmore brings is his confidence. Pretty impressive really.

Bills give the biggest opposing threat usually, to cover.

I prefer aggressive, he is sending a message to the offense.

Sure he could tone it down a tad.

But man on man, i love the kid. Still has a big upside as he gets to know these premier WR's better.

Some of his adjustments while running amazed me.

go bills

We were joking about Damond's writing at that point