Nirvana back together with new singer!

DrDawkinstein

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the CNE show too...I think me and my buddy went to just about every big show in WNY/Toronto area from about 1980-1986...I've seen the Who 8 times (I think) over the years...first time was the show at the Aud in 1979, the day after the Cincinnati incident...I had second row seats, as a high school friends' parents wouldn't allow him to go after what happened in Ohio. I was blown away...it was the first time I had ever sat that close for a big show (as opposed to those Melody Fair shows that granny used to take me to as a kid...Tony Orlando & Dawn, Bobby Vinton...all the greats! :lol: )...it was my first real taste of the power of rock n' roll.

At the end of tha 1982 tour, the Who played two nights at Maple Leaf Gardens, the second night was a pay-per view simulcast...we went to the first show, and got the pay per-view the next night. IIRC, it was a Thursday and Friday night thing...

I love Petes' solo stuff for the most part. For some reason though, while I had it all on vinyl at one time, I only have "Who Came First", "Rough Mix", "Empty Glass" and "All the Best Cowboys..." on CD now....they are tough to find. I work in a large CD/Record store, we carry pretty much everything (not necessarily all at once!), and they rarely come through used..and are out of print as new cd's both domestic and foreign. I would love to get a copy of "White City" and the live one he did (can't remember the name)...maybe the 80's production wouldn't age well, but I always loved that song "Second Hand Love"....kind of menacing sounding, in the vein of "Emminence Front" sound wise. Also loved that song "Somebody Saved Me".

Have you read Pete's book? I am anxious to read it...maybe when I am flying back to Texas from Buffalo for the holiday...I am about 99% certain my girlfriend purchased it for me as a gift, so I have been avoiding it...been killing me to wait... I hear it is quite good...

Just like the grub the wriggles to the top of mass...Stardom in action Acton, that's all they got!

As for "Slit Skirts" I was about 17 when it came out, but it always spoke to me....I have always had an old soul! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XQ2KT8oZhw

Wow - I was pretty close to you on December 4th, 1979! We had front row lower golds 2nd section from the stage. Time Magazine's cover story the following week had their pictures taken from our section. I've never seen so much security!............I remember my friend is insisting on buying something at the concession stand when I heard The Who come on and start with Substitute, and I'm jumping up and down saying Come on, Let's Go!..............I had security come up and tell me to settle down or I'm out of there!.........What a great concert that was! That was my first of 8 Who shows, as well.

I'm a few year older than you, so my timeline is 77-84 or so of seeing every major act that came through. Queen, Supertramp, Blue Oyster Cult, The Tubes, etc. and those aren't even my favorite acts.

I haven't read the book yet, but my aforementioned Pete fanatic friend read it the first weekend it was out. He's a musician, so he was looking for a little more background on the nuts and bolts of the songwriting, but otherwise thought it was great..........I wouldn't be looking for that type of thing, so I would probably think it's even better. Pete is always incredibly forthcoming and honest.

As for Slit Skirts, either we were both always old souls, or we knew that we were going to get there eventually!