Five Plays That Cost the Bills the Game and the Season

"Gailey is a bad coach whose fallback position is conservatism. If he had tried the two-pointer, the field goal or went for it on 4th and 7 and failed, most Bills’ fans would have at least felt that their team went down swinging. Instead, they tucked their tail between their legs and walked gingerly into the postseason protecting what is left of their ever-shrinking scrotums."

http://niagarahub.com/2012/12/10/bills-thrills-bills-don-their-gailey-off-season-apparel/

12/09/2012: The date that it finally occurred to me that the Bills have a secret plan to leave Buffalo. The plan includes losing games that could have been won. A losing football organization is worth less than a successful football organization, thus the taxes would be lower. Something along these lines.

There is simply NO other explanation!

12/09/2012: The date that it finally occurred to me that the Bills have a secret plan to leave Buffalo. The plan includes losing games that could have been won. A losing football organization is worth less than a successful football organization, thus the taxes would be lower. Something along these lines.

There is simply NO other explanation!

Brilliant! They already made the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097815/

In hindsight, this will prove to be a good loss. Given their remaining sked, it's doubtful they would have made the playoffs anyway, so at least this gets Chan fired, Nix put out to pasture, and leads to a search for a real QB. Not to mention a higher draft pick for Whaley to use.

In hindsight, this will prove to be a good loss. Given their remaining sked, it's doubtful they would have made the playoffs anyway, so at least this gets Chan fired, Nix put out to pasture, and leads to a search for a real QB. Not to mention a higher draft pick for Whaley to use.

Only the Seattle game is semi-questionable.

I don't think you can have a better remaining schedule.

So not really following you there.

This team will win out for two reasons.

1.) Its worse for the franchise in the long run.

2.) When the game is out of hand the team plays better. I'm going to go with when the season is out of hand the team plays better.

Only the Seattle game is semi-questionable.

I don't think you can have a better remaining schedule.

So not really following you there.

This team will win out for two reasons.

1.) Its worse for the franchise in the long run.

2.) When the game is out of hand the team plays better. I'm going to go with when the season is out of hand the team plays better.

While I agree with you that it would figure they'd win out, I don't see them beating Seattle or Miami in Miami. They may beat the Jets at home the last game of the season because I doubt either team cares about winning, but I hope they care less by that point.

"Gailey is a bad coach whose fallback position is conservatism. If he had tried the two-pointer, the field goal or went for it on 4th and 7 and failed, most Bills’ fans would have at least felt that their team went down swinging. Instead, they tucked their tail between their legs and walked gingerly into the postseason protecting what is left of their ever-shrinking scrotums."

http://niagarahub.co...season-apparel/

Ha! Well versed, that paragraph.

There is an ulterior Bills front office agenda going on here. It's all tax consequences related for when the team is sold and-or moved.

There is NO other explanation!

Or the most basic explanation. The owner is incompetent and has built an organization destined for perpetual mediocrity?

I agree with everything in that article except for the going for 2 argument.

No coach in the entire league would go for 2 at that point in the game.

Especially with a low scoring one like the Bills were in. You would much rather be up by two field goals than take the risk. Obviously in retrospect it seems like a bad call but I can't hammer Gailey on that choice... though it would be easy to pile on seeing just about every other decision he made that day was wrong.

We lost that game 35-34 hardly low scoring.

Especially with a low scoring one like the Bills were in. You would much rather be up by two field goals than take the risk. Obviously in retrospect it seems like a bad call but I can't hammer Gailey on that choice... though it would be easy to pile on seeing just about every other decision he made that day was wrong.

That's complete hogwash about coaches not going for two at that point in the game. Coaches that believe in their team go for two. Coaches that don't believe in their team, don't go for two and usually lose. Gailey was two minutes away from his rule about when to thiink about going for two. What he didn't consider is that the Defense couldn't stop a high school team that day, as a sresult he did not take the flow of the game into consideration. Chan's head is clearly not in the games. His body is there but he is not thinking right at the critical time. Same BS on the three 50+ yard FGs. The only one he tries is in the rain. He punts insteads of going for it. Did you watch Houston in their losing effort? Several times they went for it from the 34 with 4th and five in the first half. That coach is trying to win at least.

That's complete hogwash about coaches not going for two at that point in the game. Coaches that believe in their team go for two. Coaches that don't believe in their team, don't go for two and usually lose. Gailey was two minutes away from his rule about when to thiink about going for two. What he didn't consider is that the Defense couldn't stop a high school team that day, as a sresult he did not take the flow of the game into consideration. Chan's head is clearly not in the games. His body is there but he is not thinking right at the critical time. Same BS on the three 50+ yard FGs. The only one he tries is in the rain. He punts insteads of going for it. Did you watch Houston in their losing effort? Several times they went for it from the 34 with 4th and five in the first half. That coach is trying to win at least.

Actually the defense had been playing pretty well up to that point. They allowed no points in the first half and had only given up that one TD drive so in a low scoring battle a two FG lead seems like the smart play.

I'm not defending Chan. He has made a mountain of monumental idiotic decisions this season. I just don't think that one specific decision was incorrect at the time. It would have been even smarter to protect what could have been a two field goal lead by controlling the ball with lots of touches for Spiller but that is a completely different argument.

Not so fast, my friend!

Seattle is 2-5 on the road, which includes losses to the Cardinals, Rams, Lions & Dolphins.

This is not a gimme for the Seahawks.

Also, factor in that C.J. will start by default and get 15+ carries. The last time that happened, the Bills had their only 2-game winning streak this season.

Not so fast, my friend!

Seattle is 2-5 on the road, which includes losses to the Cardinals, Rams, Lions & Dolphins.

This is not a gimme for the Seahawks.

Herbstreit Rebuttal: I think when you factor in Toronto has not exactly provided that "home game" flavour in the past, a very active front seven backed by a strong secondary, the obvious coaching advantage Seattle has and Seattle's knowledge there is a playoff game on the line, I have to give the edge to the Seahawks.