Bruce Bartlett: A good story for conservatives

TPS

From one of the original supply-siders: http://www.theameric...ased-community/

For some reason this quote reminds me of PPP... :lol:

I was flabbergasted. Until that moment I had not realized how closed the right-wing mind had become. Even assuming that my friends’ view of the Times’ philosophy was correct, which it most certainly was not, why would they not want to know what their enemy was thinking? This was my first exposure to what has been called “epistemic closure” among conservatives—living in their own bubble where nonsensical ideas circulate with no contradiction.

This is pretty good too:

On the plus side, I think I had a very clear understanding of the economic crisis from day one. I even wrote another op-ed for the New York Times in December 2008 advocating a Keynesian cure that holds up very well in light of history. Annoyingly, however, I found myself joined at the hip to Paul Krugman, whose analysis was identical to my own. I had previously viewed Krugman as an intellectual enemy and attacked him rather colorfully in an old column that he still remembers.

For the record, no one has been more correct in his analysis and prescriptions for the economy’s problems than Paul Krugman. The blind hatred for him on the right simply pushed me further away from my old allies and comrades.

The final line for me to cross in complete alienation from the right was my recognition that Obama is not a leftist. In fact, he’s barely a liberal—and only because the political spectrum has moved so far to the right that moderate Republicans from the past are now considered hardcore leftists by right-wing standards today. Viewed in historical context, I see Obama as actually being on the center-right.

At this point, I lost every last friend I had on the right. Some have been known to pass me in silence at the supermarket or even to cross the street when they see me coming. People who were as close to me as brothers and sisters have disowned me.

I think they believe they are just disciplining me, hoping I will admit error and ask for forgiveness. They clearly don’t know me very well. My attitude is that anyone who puts politics above friendship is not someone I care to have in my life.

What a tool. He takes great credit for things he had little to do with, points out obvious problems w/n Republican circles that you could get perusing the threads here on PPP as though he's insightful, blames everyone else for his failures, & then assumes his friends all baled on him over his politics. They probably dipped out because he's an arrogant douche.

Cultural regressives, Religious fundamentalist, Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman cultist, Corporatist and their mercenaries- the four corners of the republican party- Bartlett is probably a mercenary who was spewing crap he didn't believe and now when it looks like the sun is setting on right wing fortune is going to start making his money bashing them- some of you Ayn Rand ilk should admire his dedication to self interest.

What a tool. He takes great credit for things he had little to do with, points out obvious problems w/n Republican circles that you could get perusing the threads here on PPP as though he's insightful, blames everyone else for his failures, & then assumes his friends all baled on him over his politics. They probably dipped out because he's an arrogant douche.

Naw, just a typical liberal.

Ahhh...the downfall of one of the former saints...Interesting how the former SSers have become such ultra, dare I say, liberals? Bartlett and Roberts...whatever happened to the Reagan conservatives?

Ahhh...the downfall of one of the former saints...Interesting how the former SSers have become such ultra, dare I say, liberals? Bartlett and Roberts...whatever happened to the Reagan conservatives?

Proof's in the pudding, Bub. A couple of Reagan guys rebelling against the Republican establishment means very little. The Krugmanesque artificial demand based economic model is a proven failure & will continue to fail & the people who it purports to help will be the ones who suffer the most. But we'll see. We're running massive deficits now. Let's see what all that artificial demand leads to over the next 4 years.

there's a word for Reagan conservatives...moderate leftists...there's a new word for far right wingers...Reagan conservatives

No I must go hide

Edited by TheNewBills

From one of the original supply-siders: http://www.theameric...ased-community/

For some reason this quote reminds me of PPP... :lol:

This is pretty good too:

There are certainly a lot of "I" references in that piece. Bartlett may think that Krugman is right, but no CEO or CFO that I've heard in the last four years (the ones who are in charge of big ticket purchases & hiring) has said that what we need is more temporary stimulus. And guess who hold more sway - the guys on the economics cocktail circuit or the guys who sign the checks?

Cultural regressives, Religious fundamentalist, Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman cultist, Corporatist and their mercenaries- the four corners of the republican party- Bartlett is probably a mercenary who was spewing crap he didn't believe and now when it looks like the sun is setting on right wing fortune is going to start making his money bashing them- some of you Ayn Rand ilk should admire his dedication to self interest.

:thumbsup:

Proof's in the pudding, Bub. A couple of Reagan guys rebelling against the Republican establishment means very little. The Krugmanesque artificial demand based economic model is a proven failure & will continue to fail & the people who it purports to help will be the ones who suffer the most. But we'll see. We're running massive deficits now. Let's see what all that artificial demand leads to over the next 4 years.

Rob, I would appreciate it if you provided me with a link so I can read up on where you are getting your views from. I'd really like to figure out what religion you belong to....

There are certainly a lot of "I" references in that piece. Bartlett may think that Krugman is right, but no CEO or CFO that I've heard in the last four years (the ones who are in charge of big ticket purchases & hiring) has said that what we need is more temporary stimulus. And guess who hold more sway - the guys on the economics cocktail circuit or the guys who sign the checks?

The most effective policy over the past 4 years has been the permanent stimulus that's resulted from automatic stabilizers and extensions of unemployment insurance that are the largest contributors to the deficits of the last 4 years.. I am sure your ceo's are also all begging for the fiscal cliff to take effect so there's another $600 billion of demand wiped out next year...

If the CEO's are of the short term shuffel variety; and plan to leave the position after powering through a short term strategy rather than live out long term company goals with vision and a plan for the future, then sure, those CEO's will want short term demand boosts. However, if you're speaking of quality CEO's who have a vision for their company, and aren't looking to turn and burn with a golden parachute attached, then no. Those CEO's don't want to trade years of future demand for short term "stimulus" demand.

Quantitative easing has never led to prosperity anywhere it has been attempted. The only thing it leads to is more quantitative easing.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker