Am I a Bledsoe apologist?

One of the things I wonder from reading posts which seem to divide the Bills world into one of two camps is whether I am a Bledsoe apologist.

I don't thinkl I am since if I were in control I would have said good luck and see ya to Bledsoe this off-season. I don't think I am of the mind that if Losman is ready to play he should play.

However, I think that it ignores reality to claim that Bledsoe has not won or played QB in a substantial way for an NFL winner. You need a great coach to do the job of building a team capable of winning the big ones with Bledsoe as QB. However, Bledsoe QB'ed teams certainly made it to the SB when he led a Parcells coached team there and when he played QB for the majority of a must-win game for the Pats in their first SB winning season. He had the very best of HCs who reminded him constantly in practice to throw the damn ball under Parcells and under BB who employed an offense powered down for Brady to win a must win game.

MM/Clements deserve great plaudits for play calling, using all of Drew's capabilities, and most important building and maintaining a good TEAM to get as far as they did until they ran into a much better team which forced them to rely on Bledsoe's arm to make-up for some poor ST and D play. This was not going to happen against a better team.

So mark me down as a Bledsoe apologist if that means someone who judges Bledsoe's play to be at about the same level it always has bee. It is a level of play which a team can win the big ones if the rest of the team plays well. It is a level of play where if the OC maximizes what Drew does well and minimizes what he does poorly the team can win and even blow out inferiot teams. I'm a Bledsoe apologist if it means I judge him to be a reasonable starter if Losman isn't ready yet.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you missed the tribute to Reggie White...showing him set the sack record in the Super Bowl...it was against one Drew "The Statue" Bledsoe.

Big game QB's win big games. John Elway...big game QB. Brett Favre...big game QB. Drew Bledsoe...NOT a big game QB.

PTR

MM/Clements deserve great plaudits for play calling, using all of Drew's capabilities, and most important building and maintaining a good TEAM to get as far as they did until they ran into a much better team which forced them to rely on Bledsoe's arm to make-up for some poor ST and D play.  This was not going to happen against a better team.

191919[/snapback]

Hey FFS, I made it all the way through one of your posts, and for the most part, I agree with you (I think)!

My only bone of contention with your comments, and with Mike Mularkey/Tom Clements play calling yesterday. Let me be clear, I really like our new coaching staff, and I will give them all the "plaudits" in the world. That being said, I had an issue with the offensive play calling yesterday, and felt like it did not put Bledsoe, or the Bills in the best position to win.

During "the streak", Bledsoe and the passing game were at their best when they were using the no-huddle. Granted they were playing a team far superior to any they played the last six weeks (2nd and 3rd stringers and all), but if my memory serves me correctly, they only used the no huddle once, had some modest success with it, before being trapped in a third and long because of penalty. Why did they abandon it so quickly. More importantly, why didn't they go to it earlier, when it seemed like they had a little momentum going. The play calling was, in my opionion, way too passive, untill it was too late. I am not going to trash the coaching, but maybe they had the "big-game jitters" that players are supposed to get. It seemed like early on, maybe the Bills coaches baught into the hype that the Steelers were going to go down easy. To paraphrase the mediocre Herm Edwards (is he going to be the next Wayne Fontes?) "you coach to win the game, you don't coach just to coach the game!"

There was plenty of blame to go around for yesterdays' loss. Bledsoe is what he is. He is a QB capable of making plays, but he has some weaknesses. QB's far less talented than Bledsoe have won the Super Bowl, even recently. They were aided by coaching. Consider this a hard lesson for Mularkey and his staff. They are good coaches, they will learn it. For the crap teams we have rooted for the last 4 years, their is way too much short sightedness going on here! I suspect, after a little time has passed, smart Bills fans will realize that Buffalo is on the cusp of being a pretty damn good team, with Bledsoe, or without Bledsoe.

I am one yet, I totally agree with your reasoning.

MM had a good comment... He said to his team "try and not be too perfect." It seems they did exactly that, especially DB.

When he is trying to be too damn perfect, crap happens... Teams run into trouble when they start exhibiting that kind of compulsive behavior. I can totally understand that reasoning and why it can get you into trouble. A player always going back for that one last look will always get killed in the end.

I would assume you are dealing with a lot of type-A personalities in pro sports which doesn't help.

Perhaps you missed the tribute to Reggie White...showing him set the sack record in the Super Bowl...it was against one Drew "The Statue" Bledsoe.

Big game QB's win big games.  John Elway...big game QB.  Brett Favre...big game QB.  Drew Bledsoe...NOT a big game QB.

PTR

191943[/snapback]

Elway yes until he got to the SB... Then later he turned that around.

I still don't think he had the teams through out his career... A long career for still a relatively young player.

Maybe something can be said about taking juniors out of college and throwing them into the fire right away? I don't know.

IMHO, I just know that the Bills could do A LOT WORSE.

You throw DB onto the Bears and they would have had a winning record. The Bears have a great D and ST's.

Hey FFS, I made it all the way through one of your posts, and for the most part, I agree with you (I think)!

My only bone of contention with your comments, and with Mike Mularkey/Tom Clements play calling yesterday.  Let me be clear, I really like our new coaching staff, and I will give them all the "plaudits" in the world.  That being said, I had an issue with the offensive play calling yesterday, and felt like it did not put Bledsoe, or the Bills in the best position to win. 

During "the streak", Bledsoe and the passing game were at their best when they were using the no-huddle.  Granted they were playing a team far superior to any they played the last six weeks (2nd and 3rd stringers and all), but if my memory serves me correctly, they only used the no huddle once, had some modest success with it, before being trapped in a third and long because of penalty.  Why did they abandon it so quickly.  More importantly, why didn't they go to it earlier, when it seemed like they had a little momentum going.  The play calling was, in my opionion, way too passive, untill it was too late.  I am not going to trash the coaching, but maybe they had the "big-game jitters" that players are supposed to get.  It seemed like early on, maybe the Bills coaches baught into the hype that the Steelers were going to go down easy.  To paraphrase the mediocre Herm Edwards (is he going to be the next Wayne Fontes?) "you coach to win the game, you don't coach just to coach the game!"

There was plenty of blame to go around for yesterdays' loss.  Bledsoe is what he is.  He is a QB capable of making plays, but he has some weaknesses.  QB's far less talented than Bledsoe have won the Super Bowl, even recently.  They were aided by coaching.  Consider this a hard lesson for Mularkey and his staff.  They are good coaches, they will learn it.  For the crap teams we have rooted for the last 4 years, their is way too much short sightedness going on here!  I suspect, after a little time has passed, smart Bills fans will realize that Buffalo is on the cusp of being a pretty damn good team, with Bledsoe, or without Bledsoe.

191960[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more Buftex.

I am Pro Bledsoe (like you haven't figured that out ;) ?) When the coaching staff thinks JP should play, then he should play but, only when ready.

well, we could have NOT made the playoffs also by starting Losman

191986[/snapback]

That's hindsight! You play to win and give yourself the best chance at winning. Unless, you have "Manning type stock" on your roster and coach in a big market, you might give the rookie a shot.

Buffalo needed to get record healthy fast under a new coach... Putting something as fragile as JP in there would have been disaterous. Just because he ran all over town behind a weak Tulane team... Doesn't mean it will work in the pros.

Big game QB's win big games.  John Elway...big game QB.  Brett Favre...big game QB.  Drew Bledsoe...NOT a big game QB.

PTR

191943[/snapback]

So, what about Jim Kelly ?

Also:

Seasons among the league's top 10

Pass attempts: 1994-1, 1995-1, 1996-1, 1997-3, 1998-8, 1999-3, 2000-8, 2002-2

Completions: 1994-1, 1995-7, 1996-1, 1997-2, 1998-8, 1999-6, 2000-8, 2002-3

Passing yards: 1994-1, 1996-3, 1997-4, 1998-6, 1999-6, 2002-2

Passing TDs: 1993-10t, 1994-4, 1996-3, 1997-3, 1999-10t, 2002-7

Adjusted yards per pass: 1997-8, 1998-10, 2002-9

Among the league's all-time top 50

Pass attempts: 7

Completions: 7

Passing yards: 10

Passing TDs: 18

Jim Kelly's #'s:

Seasons among the league's top 10

Pass attempts: 1986-8, 1987-4, 1988-8, 1991-9, 1992-6, 1993-7

Completions: 1986-4, 1987-4, 1988-6, 1991-4, 1992-5t, 1993-5t, 1994-10

Passing yards: 1986-6, 1987-8, 1988-6, 1991-3, 1992-3, 1993-5

Passing TDs: 1986-5t, 1987-8t, 1989-5, 1990-4t, 1991-1, 1992-3t, 1993-6t, 1994-6t, 1995-10

Adjusted yards per pass: 1986-9, 1989-6, 1990-3, 1991-3

Among the league's all-time top 50

Pass attempts: 16

Completions: 13t

Passing yards: 13

Passing TDs: 15

One of the things I wonder from reading posts which seem to divide the Bills world into one of two camps is whether I am a Bledsoe apologist.

I don't thinkl I am since if I were in control I would have said good luck and see ya to Bledsoe this off-season.  I don't think I am of the mind that if Losman is ready to play he should play.

However, I think that it ignores reality to claim that Bledsoe has not won or played QB in a substantial way for an NFL winner.  You need a great coach to do the job of building a team capable of winning the big ones with Bledsoe as QB.  However, Bledsoe QB'ed teams certainly made it to the SB when he led a Parcells coached team there and when he played QB for the majority of a must-win game for the Pats in their first SB winning season.  He had the very best of HCs who reminded him constantly in practice to throw the damn ball under Parcells and under BB who employed an offense powered down for Brady to win a must win game.

MM/Clements deserve great plaudits for play calling, using all of Drew's capabilities, and most important building and maintaining a good TEAM to get as far as they did until they ran into a much better team which forced them to rely on Bledsoe's arm to make-up for some poor ST and D play.  This was not going to happen against a better team.

So mark me down as a Bledsoe apologist if that means someone who judges Bledsoe's play to be at about the same level it always has bee.  It is a level of play which a team can win the big ones if the rest of the team plays well.  It is a level of play where if the OC maximizes what Drew does well and minimizes what he does poorly the team can win and even blow out inferiot teams.  I'm a Bledsoe apologist if it means I judge him to be a reasonable starter if Losman isn't ready yet.

191919[/snapback]

I don't think so.

True Bledsoe apologists are bigger Drew fans than Bills fans.

They tend to be losers in real life,

and naturally gravitate to Bledsoe, the biggest loser around.

They don't really care if the Bills win or lose,

as long as they have a misfit QB to look up to. :doh:

I see none of those traits in any of your posts. ;)

I don't think so.

True Bledsoe apologists are bigger Drew fans than Bills fans.

They tend to be losers in real life,

and naturally gravitate to Bledsoe, the biggest loser around.

They don't really care if the Bills win or lose,

as long as they have a misfit QB to look up to. :lol:

I see none of those traits in any of your posts. :)

192405[/snapback]

The only true losers among Bill's fans are those who constantly wail on about the quarterback position while ignoring our problems at other positions, such as the major failures of Eric Moulds this season both early on and in the Steeler game. To denigrate other fans because they actually understand the game is not won at any single position shows a complete lack of class and manners- but then we knew that about you before now, didn't we?

The only true losers among Bill's fans are those who constantly wail on about the quarterback position while ignoring our problems at other positions, such as the major failures of Eric Moulds this season both early on and in the Steeler game. To denigrate other fans because they actually understand the game is not won at any single position shows a complete lack of class and manners- but then we knew that about you before now, didn't we?

192549[/snapback]

yes well, honest fans have to acknowledge that Drew has been abysmal in big games for the bills, wouldn't you agree?

yes well, honest fans have to acknowledge that Drew has been abysmal in big games for the bills, wouldn't you agree?

192581[/snapback]

Absolutely. And please do it a couple of hundred times each over the entire offseason. That'll make the board MUCH more enjoyable. :)

Absolutely.  And please do it a couple of hundred times each over the entire offseason.  That'll make the board MUCH more enjoyable.  :lol:

192590[/snapback]

I'd be happy to oblige you Darin! thanks for the feedback!! :)

I called out Moulds and TKO and Nate as well, too, so I don't feel like I'm crusading about it.