ACC / Big 10 Re-shuffling.

UConn James

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8644587/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-talks-join-big-ten-conference-sources-say

Wow.

If this happens and UConn still doesn't get an ACC nod with the slot opening up, then it's just not ever going to happen for the Huskies due to BC being inveterate Catholic-administraion !@#$s... but I repeat myself... who still won't turn the other cheek about a lawsuit filed by CT's former AG, who in his time there filed suit against anything that moved.

Time to forgive, forget and establish a GREAT New England football rivalry that *should* have happened 10 years ago, and re-establish the classic Big East basketball rivalries.

Edited by UConn James

Yup. Maryland just jumped, officially and now owes the ACC a cool $50M. It's really a sideways move for them, methinks, and their football program isn't going to see success for quite a while. Rutgers will be announcing their Big(?)10 move tomorrow or Wed.

Word is that UConn or Louisville will be invited to the ACC.

Knowing my alma mater's travails as well as BC's Catholic stiff-upper-lip intractability on having New England neighbors in the ACC, it will be Louisville, who's been courting any conference that might take them since the dominoes first stated to fall (and before). :-(

I just don't get why the conferences couldn't / can't all just get together and sort this stevestojan out and be done with it. This has all been like taking off a Band-Aid one hair at a time, only prolonging the anguish. Make 16-team major conferences and then make some 16- or whatever mid-majors.

(Oh. And if I were Boise State, Houston, SMU, et al. who committed to the new Big East... I'd GTFO. Now.)

Someone will need to fill me in on the rational here; why would Maryland want to leave the ACC for the Big Ten? I can't imagine their fans are very happy.

I guess the Big Ten wants MD for the basketball? But why would they want Rutgers? They aren't short of doormats in the Big 10 lately.

Sorry James, but Louisville seems like the logical choice for a new ACC team.

Edited by KD in CT

Someone will need to fill me in on the rational here; why would Maryland want to leave the ACC for the Big Ten? I can't imagine their fans are very happy.

I guess the Big Ten wants MD for the basketball? But why would they want Rutgers? They aren't short of doormats in the Big 10 lately.

Sorry James, but Louisville seems like the logical choice for a new ACC team.

MD leaving makes little sense. They just cut 8 athletic programs due to budget shortfalls, and their solution is to add the $50 mil exit fee on top of it? I'm guessing that bill is going to be forwarded to the Under Armor guy's house. MD claims they'll generate more revenue in the Big10 than the ACC. I say building a non-****ty football team will generate more revenue. I don't see where they gain. They go from a doormat in the ACC to a doormat in the Big10.

As for the ACC, word here is that its almost a foregone conclusion that UConn is the next ACC member. Strong basketball program, and we all know that Tobacco road makes the decisions in the ACC. They're spinning it that adding UConn over Louisville will help lure ND to be a full-time member down the road.

I hate the UConn move (no offense James) because it does nothing to help the conference football wise. But the NC big wigs don't get that football is the big $ sport in college, not basketball. FSU is basically stuck in a **** conference, unless the SEC and their deep pockets come calling when they inevitably go to 16 teams.

MD leaving makes little sense. They just cut 8 athletic programs due to budget shortfalls, and their solution is to add the $50 mil exit fee on top of it? I'm guessing that bill is going to be forwarded to the Under Armor guy's house. MD claims they'll generate more revenue in the Big10 than the ACC. I say building a non-****ty football team will generate more revenue. I don't see where they gain. They go from a doormat in the ACC to a doormat in the Big10.

As for the ACC, word here is that its almost a foregone conclusion that UConn is the next ACC member. Strong basketball program, and we all know that Tobacco road makes the decisions in the ACC. They're spinning it that adding UConn over Louisville will help lure ND to be a full-time member down the road.

I hate the UConn move (no offense James) because it does nothing to help the conference football wise. But the NC big wigs don't get that football is the big $ sport in college, not basketball. FSU is basically stuck in a **** conference, unless the SEC and their deep pockets come calling when they inevitably go to 16 teams.

Beyond football, their other athletic programs will be invisible. The Big10 is very good across the board in all athletics. The Terps basketball team is definitely not going to be getting it any easier with the Big10 getting better in basketball of recent. MSU, tOSU, Indiana and Wisconsin have been doing pretty good and it will be no walk for Maryland.

Yup. Maryland just jumped, officially and now owes the ACC a cool $50M. It's really a sideways move for them, methinks, and their football program isn't going to see success for quite a while. Rutgers will be announcing their Big(?)10 move tomorrow or Wed.

Word is that UConn or Louisville will be invited to the ACC.

Knowing my alma mater's travails as well as BC's Catholic stiff-upper-lip intractability on having New England neighbors in the ACC, it will be Louisville, who's been courting any conference that might take them since the dominoes first stated to fall (and before). :-(

I just don't get why the conferences couldn't / can't all just get together and sort this stevestojan out and be done with it. This has all been like taking off a Band-Aid one hair at a time, only prolonging the anguish. Make 16-team major conferences and then make some 16- or whatever mid-majors.

(Oh. And if I were Boise State, Houston, SMU, et al. who committed to the new Big East... I'd GTFO. Now.)

Boise State, Houston, SMU, Louisville, and a few others need to form their own conference, lure a few out of the MAC maybe?

Don't know about that. The Big East has already made moves to shore up it losses (Louisville to ACC and Rutgers to Big10+4).

The Big East snagged East Carolina and Tulane from C-USA.

They are also adding Navy in 2015.

The Big East may have not gotten better, but they sure did get bigger.

Maryland and Rutgers are pure $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ moves.

Can't miss the obvious influence of the Big 10 Network on these additions.

Maryland brings the DC market and Rutgers brings the NY market.

Louisville in. Decent move for the ACC, and better than any other realistic option. More realignment rumors are resurfacing however. Apparently UNC inquired about membership in the Big 10, and Virginia did the same.

As for us, i'm sitting here waiting for (at some point in the next few years) one of the other big guys to snap up us and Clemson. the 2 options seem to be either the Big XII(-2) adding FSU, Clemson, and maybe even a school like VT, and forming almost an Eastern division when you add in WVU, or the SEC adding us 2 to strengthen themselves and/or block the Big XII from gaining an east coast footprint. I'd be ok with either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.