This BCS ridiculousness has to stop

Ramius

At what point does everyone say "enough is enough" with respect to the ridiculous SEC bias in the BCS and polls?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

6 freaking SEC teams in the top 9? Are you kidding me? Also, since when did the BCS decide that record doesn't matter? A bunch of 2-loss teams ahead of 1-loss major conference teams for no other reason than they're from the SEC? Its a feedback loop that cannot be stopped. 1. Rank all SEC teams high in the preseason, deserved or not. 2. Assume every SEC loss is a "quality loss" so those SEC teams never drop very far in the rankings, regardless of record. 3. Assume every SEC win is a "quality win" so those teams somehow pass up other more deserving teams and easily move up the rankings. 4. Completely ignore record, something that is supposed to be sacred in college sports. Record matters, unless you are an SEC member.

This damn playoff system can't get here soon enough (provided they actually put other teams in the playoff, and not just match up 4 SEC teams).

That's kind of why I respected the whole thing of the winner of each major conference getting a big-time bowl invite.

Just like the NFL has different conferences that emphasize different playing styles (AFC North is characterized by tough defense, NFC East about gridiron offense, NFC South lush grass and vertical passing, etc.) the college football conferences have different styles of play. I don't get the allure of watching two teams of similar styles possibly/probably playing each other for all the marbles.

With the conference-winner system, if you want to play for the championship, then win your conference.

I'm curious and excited about the playoff system, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to worry about in the implementation of the thing WRT conference bias.

AP Poll just released. ND with the max 1500 points; then AL, GA, OSU as expected.

The interesting part (though obviously I hope it's moot), is Oregon slots in at #5, ahead of FL at #6 and KSU at #7. Let's see if the BCS goes the same way.

I would hope not. Oregon has a loss to the current number 11 team. FL has a loss to the current 3. At very least, they have similar strength of schedules. Yet Oregon, the week coming off their loss, is ahead? That makes sense.

Someone please explain to me why according to the BCS, florida is the 4th best team in the country, and FSU is the 10th, yet according to Vegas, FSU is a 7 point favorite going into the game this weekend? Even if you take off 4 for FSU being home, we're still a 3 point favorite. So Vegas thinks the #10 team is better. Perhaps they should be in charge of college football polling. They have a much better pulse on how good teams actually are.

Someone please explain to me why according to the BCS, florida is the 4th best team in the country, and FSU is the 10th, yet according to Vegas, FSU is a 7 point favorite going into the game this weekend? Even if you take off 4 for FSU being home, we're still a 3 point favorite. So Vegas thinks the #10 team is better. Perhaps they should be in charge of college football polling. They have a much better pulse on how good teams actually are.

The 3 points come from Florida's starting QB (a mobile QB) playing with a badly sprained ankle. The way they are playing (I think both teams are playing below their talent) the teams are about even. As far as rankings go, despite all of your ranting to the contrary, Florida's SEC schedule has been tougher than the one ranked team played in the ACC. Not to mention the Gators lost to the number 10 team in the country and fsu lost to NC State, and the answer to this incredibly complicated mystery reveals itself.

The 3 points come from Florida's starting QB (a mobile QB) playing with a badly sprained ankle. The way they are playing (I think both teams are playing below their talent) the teams are about even. As far as rankings go, despite all of your ranting to the contrary, Florida's SEC schedule has been tougher than the one ranked team played in the ACC. Not to mention the Gators lost to the number 10 team in the country and fsu lost to NC State, and the answer to this incredibly complicated mystery reveals itself.

FSU being near the bottom of the 1-loss teams wouldn't bother me, mainly due to the quality of loss. Being behind a few 2 loss teams is what really chaps my ass.

I agree with you that both FSU and UF have similar teams, and i actually agree with the spread. I see us winning by about a TD, mainly because we have the better offense. But what i can't get behind is a system whereby UF has a legit shot at the title game if you win this weekend, however, FSU's shot at the title game if we win is still essentially zero.

You say "bias", I say "recognizable superiority"... ;)

If Notre Dame did lose to a 3-loss USC, then who should be in the Championship?

Winner of SEC Champ and... Oregon? K State? What makes them better than Florida?

(actually asking, not trying to be pompous)

Edited by DrDareustein

You say "bias", I say "recognizable superiority"... ;)

If Notre Dame did lose to a 3-loss USC, then who should be in the Championship?

Winner of SEC Champ and... Oregon? K State? What makes them better than Florida?

(actually asking, not trying to be pompous)

Superiority my ass. They appear superior because they were ranked that way at the beginning of the season, thus leading to the self-fulfilling prophecy of the "SEC has the top rated teams." Truth is, there's little difference between the top 12 or so teams. The SEC has 2-4 locked up based off of reputation, not play on the field this season.

And even after our loss this saturday...how can you get behind a system whereby FSU losing actually moved them UP in some of the computer rankings?

Superiority my ass. They appear superior because they were ranked that way at the beginning of the season, thus leading to the self-fulfilling prophecy of the "SEC has the top rated teams." Truth is, there's little difference between the top 12 or so teams. The SEC has 2-4 locked up based off of reputation, not play on the field this season.

And even after our loss this saturday...how can you get behind a system whereby FSU losing actually moved them UP in some of the computer rankings?

Computers didnt beat GATech, Clemson, and FSU this weekend. SEC teams did. If you want to argue that the ACC can even hold a candle to the SEC this year then that is all I need to know. :nana:

The system certainly has it's flaws. Believing that there are good teams in the SEC isnt one of them.

I get what you are saying about the self-fulfilling stuff, and it certainly can be frustrating, but to say all of those teams earned their rankings on reputation alone is simply ignoring reality.

I know I joke about being an SEC homer, but I was actually glad in the beginning of the year when it looked like the Big 12 and/or Pac 12 were going to take over as the main conference. I was even watching more Big 12 games than SEC! Unfortunately, those teams couldn't keep up over the entire season.

Computers didnt beat GATech, Clemson, and FSU this weekend. SEC teams did. If you want to argue that the ACC can even hold a candle to the SEC this year then that is all I need to know. :nana:

The system certainly has it's flaws. Believing that there are good teams in the SEC isnt one of them.

I get what you are saying about the self-fulfilling stuff, and it certainly can be frustrating, but to say all of those teams earned their rankings on reputation alone is simply ignoring reality.

I know I joke about being an SEC homer, but I was actually glad in the beginning of the year when it looked like the Big 12 and/or Pac 12 were going to take over as the main conference. I was even watching more Big 12 games than SEC! Unfortunately, those teams couldn't keep up over the entire season.

The joke is that of all the 1 loss teams, they stack up the 3 SEC teams on top with no good reason. None of those teams is significantly better than the other 1-loss teams that are ranked, yet the SEC continually gets the benefit of the doubt and gets put to the top based on reputation, ignoring what exactly is happening on the field.

I'm not saying the ACC is better than the SEC. It isnt. the ACC is terrible. Whats bull **** is a then 1 loss FSU ranked lower than a handful of 2 loss SEC teams (simply because they play in the SEC). What ever happened to your record being the most meaningful measurement? And then you have 1 of the computers ranking a then 1-loss FSU lower than a 5-loss Mizzou. How exactly does that work? When a computer has a 10-1 FSU team unranked, that computer needs to be throw out. Something is wrong with the formula.

The problem is the self-fulfilling prophecy of ranking the entire SEC high at the beginning of the season. It's a fail-safe built in to ensure that a lot of SEC teams will be ranked very high at season's end despite what they actually do on the field. The formula is simple. When an SEC team loses a conference game, the losing team barely drops, while the winner shoots up the rankings, solidifying their bogus ranks atop the standings.

You claim that the other guys couldn't keep it up all season long. Well, neither could the SEC teams. Looking at the standings, they all have 1 loss. There's no legit reason why they are all above Oregon, In fact, Oregon should be #3, based on quality of loss. Their only loss is to the Pac-12 champs. Furthermore, why is 2-loss Oklahoma buried? they should be near the top of the 2-loss teams, seeing how they lost to K-state and the undefeated ND. But yet, they get buried below 3 2-loss SEC teams, because the SEC is magically somehow "superior".

Edited by Ramius

I'm not saying the ACC is better than the SEC. It isnt. the ACC is terrible. Whats bull **** is a then 1 loss FSU ranked lower than a handful of 2 loss SEC teams (simply because they play in the SEC). What ever happened to your record being the most meaningful measurement?

Oh give me a break. You're the same person that bitches about all the out of conference cupcakes the SEC schedules because you say it pads their record. Can't have it both ways. Saying that an undefeated team that won against nothing but buttercups should be ranked higher than a team than a one loss team that has been playing tough competition week in and week out is bull ****. And there's nothing different than saying that and saying there is no reason that 1 and 2 loss SEC teams are ranked higher than 1 loss ACC teams. ACC isn't in the same league. Either is the Big East. The PAC-12 and Big 12 have good teams every year, but out of both of those conferences they put up maybe two teams each year that as good as the top 4 or 5 SEC teams.

Get over it. The SEC is better, that's it.

I don't understand all the bickering about conference strength, especially in an era when teams are switching conferences every other year.

Teams should be measured by who they have beaten and where, regardless of conference affiliation. As far as I can tell, Florida has the best resume of the 1loss teams and it's not particularly close. Wins @Texas A&M, @FSU, LSU, South Carolina...

Alabama has played 2 tough games and was lucky to get a split...

Get ranked high in the preseason polls & get your loss out of the way before the other teams' most recent loss and you're gold.

Yep, college football is a massive joke. It is the most meaningless regular season of them all, which is kind of funny since the diehards are always bragging how it's the most important.

I don't understand all the bickering about conference strength, especially in an era when teams are switching conferences every other year.

Teams should be measured by who they have beaten and where, regardless of conference affiliation. As far as I can tell, Florida has the best resume of the 1loss teams and it's not particularly close. Wins @Texas A&M, @FSU, LSU, South Carolina...

Alabama has played 2 tough games and was lucky to get a split...

Get ranked high in the preseason polls & get your loss out of the way before the other teams' most recent loss and you're gold.

Yep, college football is a massive joke. It is the most meaningless regular season of them all, which is kind of funny since the diehards are always bragging how it's the most important.

Alabama lost after Florida.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.