Time for Chan to hit the road?

Frez

Do we run Chan out of town at the end of the year or should we hang with him?

13-28 as head coach in Buffalo.

Keep him. Despite having some very average talent on offense for 3 years, the guy simply produces points based on scheme. We need him for his offense, if nothing else. Blow up the rest of the staff, for all I care.

Insert generic, non-playoff coach name here.

Frez, you have over 8k posts. How many do you read? Let's run over this again...

1) No top-level coach will come here until the long-term ownership issues are settled

2) Those that would come here are generally unproven kids, retreads, or assistants looking for a break (Basically the Bills last 5 coaches)

3) This team's problems are not solely coaching-based. It's a top-down problem, although Chan does stink

So...put out your list of candidates and see who stands out and who would realistically come here. Then remind yourself that we have no QB and a terrible Def. What's a coach supposed to do when there's so little real talent to work with? Finally, throw in Buddy and Ralph, who's combined age is close to 165 years old. This team is simply treading water until Ralph passes. When he does, both Buddy and Chan will be gone too.

"Oh, when I think about the old days...ahh it sends chills up and down my spine. Life aint what it seems, on the boulevard of broken dreams. Guess I'll open my eyes in the nick of time, because it sure feels like the end of the line." - Gregg Allman

We can still run the table and be 9 - 6 . Seattle and Colts look like a challenge, but thats about it. what, 5 home games out of 7? could happen. no one got hurt and guys are coming back and contributing. could happen.

Frez, you have over 8k posts. How many do you read? Let's run over this again...

1) No top-level coach will come here until the long-term ownership issues are settled

2) Those that would come here are generally unproven kids, retreads, or assistants looking for a break (Basically the Bills last 5 coaches)

3) This team's problems are not solely coaching-based. It's a top-down problem, although Chan does stink

So...put out your list of candidates and see who stands out and who would realistically come here. Then remind yourself that we have no QB and a terrible Def. What's a coach supposed to do when there's so little real talent to work with? Finally, throw in Buddy and Ralph, who's combined age is close to 165 years old. This team is simply treading water until Ralph passes. When he does, both Buddy and Chan will be gone too.

"Oh, when I think about the old days...ahh it sends chills up and down my spine. Life aint what it seems, on the boulevard of broken dreams. Guess I'll open my eyes in the nick of time, because it sure feels like the end of the line." - Gregg Allman

Agreed. This is the key. This coaching staff is here for awhile so get used to it.

chan is running the offense, right? the offense is not the problem...can't believe wanny has been that bad, even with sub par personnel...

Bet there is a young coordinator that would be willing to come here for the opportunity to be HC. The problem, as I see it is in finding the right one. I believe that the biggest problem with the team is the coaching staff. Particularly on defense, they are clueless. They need to find a hungry coordinator looking to make a name for himself and let him build a staff of real football coaches that understand today's NFL. I think this is realistic and should be the approach this offseason. Chan has proven that he's in over his head. Yes, he seems to be able to put points on the board most weeks, but to have a talent like C.J. Spiller and give him 9 carries tells me he is too smart for his own good. It's really not that difficult to design an offense around a talent like this, but he continues to under use him. He's got to go and we need a more aggressive younger guy to come in and put some fire in these guys bellies.

Pardon my french, but If the Colts and Broncs can do it, then why the f***k can't we??

Gailey's rebuild is staring down the barrel of another 4-12 season. As usual, all the homers and apologists on the board can say is 'whup, guess we're stuck with him'.

Utter Nonsense.

Chan's overall record with the Bills seems bad until you look at his divisional accomplishments. Then it seems AWFUL. 2-13 in the last three years in the AFCE!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: We've been dead last back to back years in our our own division! Despite all that, we cannot get this moron to do anything but hire blasts from his abyssmal past. -Lee... Wannstedt... Thigpen... I say FIRE THEM ALL. Enough with this retarded fear of the unknown. Gailey's afraid to play anyone on the roster but his group of core players. Wanny's afraid to blitz. Buddy's afraid to draft a franchise QB! This entire team, and this fanbase are collectively dying of FEAR. I just don't get it -We're already bad. Why not take a chance on something that could really work out???

Time to turn the page folks, I've been a Bills fan for thirty some-odd years, and I can't remember a more chickensh!t front office and coaching staff. I'm tired of the cowardice. I can't handle it anymore. You fail at your job, and your ass gets fired. -Period. Time to clean house.

Edited by #34fan

Pardon my french, but If the Colts and Broncs can do it, then why the f***k can't we??

Gailey's rebuild is staring down the barrel of another 4-12 season. As usual, all the homers and apologists on the board can say is 'whup, guess we're stuck with him'.

Utter Nonsense.

Chan's overall record with the Bills seems bad until you look at his divisional accomplishments. Then it seems AWFUL. 2-13 in the last three years in the AFCE!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: We've been dead last back to back years in our our own division! Despite all that, we cannot get this moron to do anything but hire blasts from his abyssmal past. -Lee... Wannstedt... Thigpen... I say FIRE THEM ALL. Enough with this retarded fear of the unknown. Gailey's afraid to play anyone on the roster but his group of core players. Wanny's afraid to blitz. Buddy's afraid to draft a franchise QB! This entire team, and this fanbase are collectively dying of FEAR. I just don't get it -We're already bad. Why not take a chance on something that could really work out???

Time to turn the page folks, I've been a Bills fan for thirty some-odd years, and I can't remember a more chickensh!t front office and coaching staff. I'm tired of the cowardice. I can't handle it anymore. You fail at your job, and your ass gets fired. -Period. Time to clean house.

clean house, id rather win in a boring 6-3 game then lose a thrilling 31-37 game

chan is running the offense, right? the offense is not the problem...can't believe wanny has been that bad, even with sub par personnel...

Yeah, offense is fine. It's that darn D that is the problem. I wish the HC would do something about that darn D, who is the HC,again??

Unless we crash and burn down the stretch I say stick with him. Bringing in a new coach next year is starting over again, and Chan has done a lot with this offense. If we close out the year strong and finish 8-8 I'll be behind him 100%.

I'd like to see how the Defense does through the rest of the season before blowing that unit up too. I don't think changing schemes and our base D excuses the travesty that has been the defense this year, but if it tightens up over the next few weeks it might be preferable to starting over again with a new DC and a new scheme. That being said, if we're still giving up 30+ pts a game in the last quarter of the season then Wanny has to go.

Stay the course...thats what they say in Houston...How many time were people calling for Kubiak's head? With a little time and some quality drafts, they've built themselves a pretty good football team. The Steelers never fire coaches and they've done ok. Unfortunately nothing is an overnight fix. We can't relate a winning team to instant gratification that we're all so used to in today's cyber world.

Stay the course...thats what they say in Houston...How many time were people calling for Kubiak's head? With a little time and some quality drafts, they've built themselves a pretty good football team. The Steelers never fire coaches and they've done ok. Unfortunately nothing is an overnight fix. We can't relate a winning team to instant gratification that we're all so used to in today's cyber world.

that plan works well when the coach is actually worth keeping around the front office is capable of producing "quality drafts"

when you are stuck with a glorified offensive coordinator and a dysfunctional front office- waiting around is just delaying the inevitable

that plan works well when the coach is actually worth keeping around the front office is capable of producing "quality drafts"

when you are stuck with a glorified offensive coordinator and a dysfunctional front office- waiting around is just delaying the inevitable

From a Broncos forum thread about Gary Kubiak in 2010:

"Gary Kubiak has been on hot seat for couple years....nothing new to see here. He is a glorified Offensive Coordinator. Nothing more. Crappy head coach."

From a thread at TexansTalk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1601643):

"That right there tells me its time for Gary to go. We need a real head coach and not a glorified offensive coordinator."

From a Broncos forum thread about Gary Kubiak in 2010:

"Gary Kubiak has been on hot seat for couple years....nothing new to see here. He is a glorified Offensive Coordinator. Nothing more. Crappy head coach."

From a thread at TexansTalk (http://www.texanstal...d.php?p=1601643):

"That right there tells me its time for Gary to go. We need a real head coach and not a glorified offensive coordinator."

Well I'm sold. The Gailey Bills are almost HALF way this year in wins to DJ's gold standard of 7-9 and it's only year 3.

Edited by Best Player Available

Well I'm sold. The Gailey Bills are almost HALF way this year in wins to DJ's gold standard of 7-9 and it's only year 3.

Swapping HCs every 3 years isn't a recipe for success. Daniel Snider's been going that route for years and his teams have been about as good as ours. Unless you've got a top HC ready and willing to take the reigns (or we really bomb out over the next 7 games) I say you give him his last year. I mean really, if OJ can get away with murder, why can't Gailey finish his contract?

Houston on Offense under Kubiak, pre-Wade Phillips: 28th, 14th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd

Buffalo on Offense under Gailey: 25th, 14th, 15th (this year)

Houston on Defense under Kubiak, pre-Wade Phillips: 24th, 24th, 22nd, 13th, 30th

Buffalo on Defense under Gailey: 24th, 26th, 29th (this year)

Houston on Defense under Kubiak-Wade: #2, #2 (this year)

There's a lot of parallels here. Houston's O really took off in their first year after finding a QB (Year One of Schaub was ranked 14th on O, steadily improved once they found acouple of running backs). Houston's D was terrible (they went though two defensive coordinators before Wade) before they finally were able to get a D cord that works for them. They had a lot of talent, but also some holes to work through (like the Bills).

I'm OK with keeping Chan, getting a new QB and D Cord, and filling in some holes on D. It's a blueprint for how the Texans were finally successful.