My plan

Your plan will also cost a fortune in dead cap money as you just paid for both Moulds, Bledsoe, and Losmans cap hit in one year.

In addition, in Brees, you're also taking a big shot on a guy who had one good year, after was it 2 or 3 bad ones. Who's to say that Bree's wasn't a one year wonder?

If you dump Moulds as you seem to be in favor of, what makes you think we won't repeat what happened last year to the offense and Moulds once Price was gone. With no other weapons, Moulds had a bad year. Evans isn't ready yet to be the primary guy, and even if he is, having a guy opposite him like Moulds makes him alot better player too.

You seem to think it's easy to use 3rd and 4th rounders on linemen and you'll be in better shape than we are now. I think you're sadly mistaken and would take years if ever to recover from your plan.

Do we pay Moulds $8 mil? No, but don't dump him either!

Your plan will also cost a fortune in dead cap money as you just paid for both Moulds, Bledsoe, and Losmans cap hit in one year. 

In addition, in Brees, you're also taking a big shot on a guy who had one good year, after was it 2 or 3 bad ones.  Who's to say that Bree's wasn't a one year wonder?

If you dump Moulds as you seem to be in favor of, what makes you think we won't repeat what happened last year to the offense and Moulds once Price was gone.  With no other weapons, Moulds had a bad year.  Evans isn't ready yet to be the primary guy, and even if he is, having a guy opposite him like Moulds makes him alot better player too.

You seem to think it's easy to use 3rd and 4th rounders on linemen and you'll be in better shape than we are now.  I think you're sadly mistaken and would take years if ever to recover from your plan.

191595[/snapback]

Are you actually argueing with the original poster of the thread? Its so off the wall I didnt think it was worth the time/effort.

Was this post a joke on how to change the offense? Do we want to trade for Drew Brees when the Chargers franchise him? 9M a year for Drew Brees, cut our best receiver, then some team will trade for Losman?

I think we should trade for Tom Brady next year--that is my plan as long as we are going with unrealistic scenarios here.

Was this post a joke on how to change the offense?  Do we want to trade for Drew Brees when the Chargers franchise him?  9M a year for Drew Brees, cut our best receiver, then some team will trade for Losman? 

I think we should trade for Tom Brady next year--that is my plan as long as we are going with unrealistic scenarios here.

191616[/snapback]

Why stop there? Get Pace, Tra Thomas, Alan Faneca, Will Shields, Muhsin Muhammed, and Tony Gonzales for the offense. Ed Reed, Julian Peppers, and Terrell Suggs for the defense. Each will obviously be available for a song.

Imagination baby!

It's been widely reported Drew Brees will get the Franchise Tag if a new deal isn't worked out. I'm aware of the Rivers contract but that's the Chargers problem. They claim they can carry both for a couple years.

We drafted Losman for a reason. He'll play soon.

191552[/snapback]

Stop ignoring the real problem we need O-line,kicker T.E. and Reciever in that order. Solutions ----- Walter Jones from Seattle will be a Free Agent this year with S.Alexander and Hasselback. Walter will not be Franchised this year.Kicker-Vanderjaght will be released from Indy this year.Lindell rarely got the Ball to the Five and he is not a clutch kicker. T.E. havent studied enough who would be free.Moulds love him but he can no longer be the 1st option. That is part of the passing game problem Drew constantly force the Ball to him who does more looking for flags than making plays, If losmans start Lee evans would be 1a and moulds 1b. other than Evans our recieving core provides NO separation. We need playmakers that can look in Draft for that again. Just some thoughts

Losman hasn't even taken a meaningful snap in a game and people are already cutting or trading him? That is just beyond insane.

Here's how to fix the offense.

TRADE Bledsoe. I can see getting a 3rd round pick for him.

TRADE Henry. That's a 4th round pick there.

TRADE Moulds. That's a 1st round pick at least.

That also saves over $17 million in cap room + another $5 million is being added to next year's cap. That's 22 million to spend.

CUT Rian Lindell. CUT Josh Reed.

With all the extra cash, sign Jennings and another OL preferably UFA Orlando Pace, Sign a WR. Bring back Shane Mathews to backup Losman. Have to figure McGahee will get 500 carries next year anyways.

Draft a WR, OL, TE, K with their first 4 picks.

That's a better plan than going into next season with Drew Bledsoe as the starter and Travis Henry still on the roster.

Losman hasn't even taken a meaningful snap in a game and people are already cutting or trading him? That is just beyond insane.

That also saves over $17 million in cap room + another $5 million is being added to next year's cap. That's 22 million to spend.

With all the extra cash, sign Jennings and another OL preferably UFA Orlando Pace,  Sign a WR. Bring back Shane Mathews to backup Losman. Have to figure McGahee will get 500 carries next year anyways.

That's a better plan than going into next season with Drew Bledsoe as the starter and Travis Henry still on the roster.

191681[/snapback]

Moulds is worth a number ONE? That certainly explains the Iggles getting TO for less.

Bledsoe a three? From WHO?

In addition, in Brees, you're also taking a big shot on a guy who had one good year, after was it 2 or 3 bad ones.  Who's to say that Bree's wasn't a one year wonder?

If you dump Moulds as you seem to be in favor of, what makes you think we won't repeat what happened last year to the offense and Moulds once Price was gone.  With no other weapons, Moulds had a bad year.  Evans isn't ready yet to be the primary guy, and even if he is, having a guy opposite him like Moulds makes him alot better player too.

You seem to think it's easy to use 3rd and 4th rounders on linemen and you'll be in better shape than we are now.  I think you're sadly mistaken and would take years if ever to recover from your plan.

191595[/snapback]

We've already amortized 4/6 of the Moulds bonus. We'd take the hit for 2/6 of that bonus under my plan; but if we keep him he will count $8.5 million. Bledsoe will use up $4 million in cap room if we cut him, and $6.5 million if we keep him. In both cases the cap impact for 2005 is positive. Trading Losman creates cap pain for 2005 because we've only amortized the first year of his bonus. But knowing we will have cap room in 2006, we can structure the Drew Brees contract accordingly.

I'm not saying Brees is a guarantee, but I'll take a one-year wonder like Brees over a zero-year wonder like Losman. Maybe Losman will turn out to be a great QB someday, but with Brees his past success gives you more of a guarantee, and anyway he's past his rookie growing pains. If San Diego franchises Brees, then obviously he'd no longer be an option (unless they took a fancy to some of the players already on our roster).

Getting rid of Moulds is a lot different from getting rid of Price. Without Price, we had no one who could burn defenses deep. That removed a dimension from our offense. Moulds' replacement will still be a possession receiver; and defenses are likely to respond to him in a similar way they did to Moulds (assuming the guy can play).

My plan calls for two first-day picks to be used on offensive linemen. You have to use your picks on something, and you can find good interior offensive linemen in rounds 2 and 3. If the Bills don't find any linemen worthy of being drafted with such a pick, obviously they should do anything other than reach for a position of perceived need.

With all the extra cash, sign Jennings and another OL preferably UFA Orlando Pace,  Sign a WR. Bring back Shane Mathews to backup Losman. Have to figure McGahee will get 500 carries next year anyways.

191681[/snapback]

I agree with some of this plan. If Brees gets franchised, Losman would probably be our next-best option. Obviously, it's better to trade players (if possible) as opposed to cutting them. You are probably being optimistic about what we could get for players like Bledsoe and Moulds in a trade, but it's worth pursuing to get what we can.

I'm not sure why you want both Jennings and Orlando Pace on the roster. I consider both players to be left tackles. I'm not sure why we need another mid-round pick at tight end, considering that Tim Erhus, Mark Campbell, and Jason Peters are already playing at about the level you'd expect from a mid-level pick.

Are you actually argueing with the original poster of the thread? Its so off the wall I didnt think it was worth the time/effort.

191598[/snapback]

Stop being so . . . conventional! Is my plan unorthodox? Yes. Does that make it good or bad? No. Look at the end result: a young, Pro Bowl QB, an offensive line improved by two first-day picks, and a first round pick to replace Eric Moulds. An offense like that would do a lot better than our offense did this year. Our cap situation would be improved, especially in 2006.

Next, ask yourself whether my suggestion is feasible. Signing Drew Brees would be feasible if the Chargers don't franchise him. Trading Losman for a first round pick should be feasible, because a player worth a first round pick last year should be worth a first round pick this year. Did Losman do anything during the year to devalue himself? No!

Learn that just because things are a certain way, doesn't mean they can't be changed.

Trading Losman for a first round pick should be feasible, because a player worth a first round pick last year should be worth a first round pick this year. Did Losman do anything during the year to devalue himself? No!

191768[/snapback]

No, because following your plan, once the Bills were to sign someone like a Brees, then everyone know we'd want to trade Losman, so his value drops. When the Bills tagged PP, we had something Atlanta wanted, so they paid for it. Unless you can create bidding war, for Losman, you'll likely get less than you gave yup to get him. Thats true of all your moves cause you want to dump these guys.

It's the same reason why the Losman trade was a decent value trade. We wanted the pick, so we had to give up extra value to make it happen.

Obviously, it's better to trade players (if possible) as opposed to cutting them. You are probably being optimistic about what we could get for players like Bledsoe and Moulds in a trade, but it's worth pursuing to get what we can.

191746[/snapback]

Not if you don't get any value, and not if no one else wants them. This isn't Madden, you can't just trade everyone for picks to avoid cutting them.

It takes two to make a deal.

Yes , several teams wanted to draft JP but not in the 1st round. Do not believe what GMs say until they do it. Sometimes it is a smokescreen for you to do exactly what the Bills did and then get another player that they wanted.

We will not get a first for JP this year. What did he do this year that showed the other GMs that he would be worth a number one? Plus we gave up a second and fifth to be able to swap number one positions. JP will have to play here. he will have to show if he is or is not the QB of the future.